GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM

Default Buying Half a Cow

I've heard a couple people talk about buying half a cow (meat that is).....Anybody here do that? Where do you buy it from? What does it cost?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM

I can get one from the guy who butchers my deer. He will sell you the cow...or you can buy your own cow and he'll go get it and butcher for you.

Price depends on Market value of beef on any given month to year...not sure what it costs now...but you'll save over buying beef at the supermarke
Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 AM

My brother-in-law lives outside of Jasper not too far from you. He keeps about 20 or 30 head of cows and butchers a few steers each year. The last price he told me he got just under $3.00/lb (hanging weight - that is slaughtered and cleaned but before being cut up). The butcher he uses has an aging room and supposedly does a good job. If you can find someone that wants to buy the other half, I can put you in touch with him. Heck, you might want to call him anyway to see if he already has somebody that wants half.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 AM
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
The last price he told me he got just under $3.00/lb (hanging weight - that is slaughtered and cleaned but before being cut up).
WOW, price of beef is doing VERY well!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM

Just make sure you don't get the wrong half
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
My brother-in-law lives outside of Jasper not too far from you. He keeps about 20 or 30 head of cows and butchers a few steers each year. The last price he told me he got just under $3.00/lb (hanging weight - that is slaughtered and cleaned but before being cut up). The butcher he uses has an aging room and supposedly does a good job. If you can find someone that wants to buy the other half, I can put you in touch with him. Heck, you might want to call him anyway to see if he already has somebody that wants half.
I wish the cattle maket was doing good enough to get close to that per pound at the sell.....
Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON710 View Post
I wish the cattle maket was doing good enough to get close to that per pound at the sell.....
Remember, this is the price for hanging weight at the butcher shop. Not live weight. By the time the butcher finishes cutting it up, the end user is still right at $3.00/lb for his retail cuts which is significantly cheaper than at the store.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM

If you by the front half see if he will mount the head.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BB View Post
Just make sure you don't get the wrong half

actually there is truth to this..... one of my old buddies who always had the best cuts of meet told me it was because he would only buy the left side of the cow. reason being.... if watch a cow they always get up on there right side, there right side is used hard... sort of like being left handed versus right handed.... this being the meet is always more tender.... i personally can't prove this theory.... but i know this guy had some dang good beef... best i ever had!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 PM

my wife works at a meat house.we have even went in with 3 other people and got 1/4 of a beef.it is actually cheaper to go buy your own cow and take it to get it slaughtered and it only cost you about .35 cents a pound for slaughtering fees.but it depends on the price of beef at the stock yard(the best beef is a young cow)
Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

Best thing is to find someone with a little open ground that will let you winter over a young white face...put the feed to it then when you ready to fill the freezer...take the critter to the butcher. You usually end up pying around 50 cents per pound. But, that is after the price of the cow...Add that in and if you can get a good deal...you might squeak out 2 dollars a pound total which would be great!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:23 AM

Default Holy Cow!!!!

3.00 a lb Dang, I need to get back into the custom cut cattle business if thats the market here in GA!!!

I raised registered Herefords back in AR. I raised them with no hormones or supplemental anti-biotics. Put them on grain to order to get the marbling level you desired . Sold halves and whole carcasses custom cut for $2.25 lb in the wrapper.

You need a good processor that will work for a reasonable rate to do that though. Like 11P&Y said mine was a small operation, good side business. Might look on the ag pages here for a similar operation. Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I've heard a couple people talk about buying half a cow (meat that is).....Anybody here do that? Where do you buy it from? What does it cost?
There's a place we use down in Milledgeville that can fix you up with that beef called C&B Processing. The last one we bought worked out to under $2.50 per pound.

They do pork the same way. Whatever you want, they'll fix you up. You can also walk in and buy anything you want as well.

C & B Processing
2961 US Highway 441 S
Milledgeville, GA 31061
(478) 454-2005

I noticed you're in my neck of the woods so check your messages and give me a hollar' for more info.