Question, Double barrel-rabbit ears/ Sears and Robucks.

I just bought a double barrell shot gun. It is stamped "The Interchangable" by Sears and Co. It is dated 1897 (or stamped). Looks authentic. Would anyone know anything about the gun? I bought it to go over the mantle with my collection of deer and fish. The guy I bought it from said it was his Grandfathers, when he passed it was left to him. I saw this forum and thought I'd ask.

Attachments

• The Interchangable 003.jpg
    The Interchangable 003.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 16,158
  • The Interchangable 004.jpg
    The Interchangable 004.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 11,898
  • The Interchangable 005.jpg
    The Interchangable 005.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 8,476
  • The Interchangable 002.jpg
    The Interchangable 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 8,876
Last edited:
R

redneckcamo

pics would help ....an be a lil eye candy too ....how bout it ....

Pics added, The barrell is stamped "Belgium-Best Rolled Steel" and "CHOKE BORE". I did find "MANHATTEN ARMS C" on the receiver. The date may also be 1807, cant see too good. Also several stamps and symbols under the forarm. Thanks for any help... Jeff.

grouper sandwich

Nice looking gun, it should really look good over the fireplace. I just couldn't imagine selling my grandfather's double barrled shotgun though.

R

redneckcamo

wheeew ....that there is a nice old mantlepiece ......probably the #1 selling line ......this was my grandfathers old shotgun.....!!!!!... that thang wiil look great over the old mantle with your other stuff....IMHO tho dont shott her until you habe very thoroughly checked it out an maybe even have it checked out........I did a lil search on it based on what you have said an there was some good info .....an 1 question ....is that brazing at the hing pin ?

leoparddog

If you do a search on this forum, you may find links to a website that lists information about the department/hardware store guns from the turn of the century.

I have a similar one, but mine seems to be damascus steel barrels. It may be hard for you to find who actually built the gun for Sears.

If you can figure out a model number you can try this link http://www.e-gunparts.com/crossref.asp

Here is a good article - and provides other resources.. http://www.briley.com/articles/grampas_shotgun.html

Janssen Sons Co also made a shotgun name "the interchangeable"

Last edited:
R

redneckcamo

Edid a lil typin an come up with a few names fer ya ......Eclipse gun co - belgium......Laurona -spanish........Crescent arms-links too stevens.......Union machine co. ....hope it helps a lil bit ......all these were linked in some way to your description in tis order .....:)

broncobob

I'd say this gun is for the old blackpowder waxed paper shells. I wouldn't be shooting any turkey loads in it. It will be awful purtty hanging over the mantle piece.

Great info guys, I'll be following up, I'm curious. it does have lots of numbers and stamps under the barrells.
I did get 2 boxes of old shells with it which seemed to be papaer and a little lumpy. Probably the worst mistake I made was I just threw them away so my son wouldn't confuse them or try to fire them. They were probably antique, the boxes alone would have made nice decor. we live and we learn.

R

redneckcamo

threw them shells where ???? ;-)........ hope it helped a lil bit ...

redneckcamo, no brazing, seems the brass is a little shinney in some places than others like it was in a guncase that may have rubbed it over the years. The gun seems very solid, wood and all.

robertyb

I agree on not shooting it. I would bet that the barrells are demascus steel and would probably blow apart if shot with modern loads. :)

Jriley

I would let a gunsmith look at it. I've read several articles in double gun journal about people still hunting with damascus guns. I would think, if the gun was in good shape, that very light black powder loads would be safe. But, let a pro check it out.

Rolled steel is not Damascus. Those are not Damascus barrels.

In the late 1800's, from about 1880 through 1910, various major distributors such as the HD Folsom Company imported thousands of inexpensive shotguns from Europe (primarily Belgium) for sale by the various large mail-order catalog hardware stores of the time. Sears sold them, for instance. They had neat names designed to impress the typical unsophisticated Midwest or frontier buyer, such as "The Interchangeable." Some retailers wanted to play on the more established gunmaker names so we see these shotguns marked with "SAM HOLT" (not Sam Colt, even though Colt Firearms were never marked that way), "BARKER" instead of Parker, and "C PARKER" (also to confuse with Charles Parker and subsequent Parker Brothers).

Shotguns with the name "Manhattan Arms" was a trade name used
years after Manhattan Firearms Co. had closed by Schoverling, Daly & Gales of New York City, c. 1900?
I have seen reports that they were made by the Fulton Hunter Arms Company or by Henri Pieper, Liege,
Belgium c. 1890-1914. Also I have read that the guns were made in Belgium by Nuemann Freres and
Fabrique d'Armes Fs. Dumoulin & Co., and in Germany by gunmaker J. P. Sauer."
I personally think that this line of shotguns (singleshots,double barrels,and drillings ) were made by many
manufacturers and the importer sold them to Hardware stores all under the Manhattan Arms name.
Sometimes they are mispelled "Manhatten Arms". It's as clear as mud to me!

Manhatten Arms was a name used by 2 different gun makers. Yours was most likely a trade name used on hammerless and hammer side by sides imported by Schoverling, Daly & Gates and also Von Lengerke & Detmold, both of New York City. The guns were made in Belgium by Neumann Freres and Fabrique d'Armes Fs. Dumoulin & Co and in Germany by gun maker J.P. Sauer. The 1887 Merwin, Hulbert & Co. featured the hammer gun for $25.65 to $37.50 and the hammerless guns was $68.00 for a 12 ga. and $72.00 for a 10 ga. Source: Side by Sides of th World for Y2K

Manhatten Arms was a trade name used by several manufacturers on shotguns made for the various large catalog and hardware chains around the turn of the 20th century. The fact that yours is hammerless and marked for 'nitro powder' (smokeless powder) indicates manufacture sometime after 1900 but before 1920.

Your gun was probably made by the Hunter Arms Co (the same company that made LC Smith shotguns from 1890-1945) for a major New York hardware/catalog store.

As to value, condition and originality are most important. An excellent original example might bring $400 from an LC Smith collector.

R

redneckcamo

now that is a ******* answer rite tare......kudos dood !!!