Getting started

bowhunterwill

Ok so I've been looking at some of this great work you guys do on stone points and knives and I wondered how you got started doing this and what advice you would give someone who was starting from scratch and wanted to learn. I bought a dvd and it was helpful to a point but not enough to where I would jump in and start trying this. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Nugefan

Go here and get the DVD " Caught Knapping " Mr Craig is a master knapper and explains it pretty well in his DVD ...

get the beginner kit and throw away the copper bopper stuff :bounce:

a good copper pressure flaker is great to learn with and as your skills progress you can make to switch to antlers ...

I've been at the a little over a year and I haven't mastered antler pressure flaking yet ...

Nicodemus , Chotawlb ,Al33 , Missing Ridge will all chime in I am sure ...

http://neolithics.com/

bowhunterwill

Thanks, Ive been looking at a few places that sell the tools...flintknappingtools.com for example but dont know that I need everything at once or if I should just jump in whole hog and try it. Where do you get your flint or material that you are knapping from?...I have seen a lot of that stuff for sale on ebay.

I looked at that site and I guess that would be the way to go to get started?...already have the stone and tools in one kit.

Copper is not a good way to go?

Last edited:

Nugefan

I only buy from Mr Craig if I am ordering it .... There are several places that sell it I have just never bought from them .... I know I'll get what I pay for from Craig ....

copper is just the newer style of knapping ... I am trying to be strictly traditional , antler billets and hammer stones for percussion and antler tine for pressure flaking ...

there is a lot of agitized coral in your area that you should be able to pick up ......

Bam Bam if you see this where do ya buy yer rocks at ????

bowhunterwill

Yeah I have been reading about agatized coral...some of its supposed to be close to where I live but I also read its kind of like petrified wood your not supposed to pick it up.

Nugefan

Yeah I have been reading about agatized coral...some of its supposed to be close to where I live but I also read its kind of like petrified wood your not supposed to pick it up.

check some yer local landscape places that carry rock , I see it used lots down there .....

next time we visit I am carryin' my big hammer .....:bounce:

Al33

The instructional DVD's are nice and there are many u-tube video's that will help also. However, there is absolutely nothing better than sitting down with an experienced knapper and watching them work while trying it yourself. Watch, read, try to understand the dynamics of how the rocks break, then as soon as possible get with someone that does it and ask questions. I have found there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to knapping once the dynamics are learned.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good advice given above, and I highly recommend Craig Ratzat for any stone you might want to buy. Florida has several different types of stone that will knap. Settin` down with a knapper will really help you out in the long run.

bowhunterwill

I dont know anybody here that does it at the moment but if anyone on here is close to Lakeland FL I would like to be able to sit down and watch them work. Thanks for the above advice...like I said...not really sure where to get started but gonna give it a try.