GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire
Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 AM
GONetwork Member

yes- e-mailed-snail mailed- called
Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 AM

I'm with pbradley.....
Old 04-11-2008, 12:22 AM

I just wish this bill required people to take a weapons class of some sort before issuing the permits. To many people have a permit that have no business walking around with a loaded weapon. I don't fear the bad guys with weapons, I fear the masses carrying without any training.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 AM

Permit in my wallet, gun in my glove box, and email sent to the Gov.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbi1104 View Post
I just wish this bill required people to take a weapons class of some sort before issuing the permits. To many people have a permit that have no business walking around with a loaded weapon. I don't fear the bad guys with weapons, I fear the masses carrying without any training.
Not to argue but the Constitution didn't say a thing about training or having to apply for a permit for that matter. Crime would drop to nothing if everyone carried a firearm in my opinion..............as it should be.

Robert
Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I wish they would explain the rules of a GFL better also. I've heard several incorrect things in the past few days. Heck I even had a sheriff's deputy tell me it was a "pistol toter's" license but it can't be concealed. Here's a few.

-You have to leave your gun at the information desk at a mall, even with a permit.
-If you have a GFL and are carrying, the gun HAS to be concealed.
-You cannot carry into Wal Mart, Gas Stations, and other places of business. (I know some places say no guns, but that is a RULE, not a law. They can ask you to leave and you will be tresspassing if you don't comply).

I wish people would understand the advantages and limitations of a GFL.

I'm glad I have my permit, and I'll be waiting for another man to try and rob me at gunpoint.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
Not to argue but the Constitution didn't say a thing about training or having to apply for a permit for that matter. Crime would drop to nothing if everyone carried a firearm in my opinion..............as it should be.

Robert
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have seen firsthand the results of people that had no business handling weapons and the effects of gunshot wounds. I also have seen what happens to people when bullets are flying their way and the stress this causes, even with proper training and range time. Real life scenarios are different.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:25 AM

I Do
Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have seen firsthand the results of people that had no business handling weapons and the effects of gunshot wounds. I also have seen what happens to people when bullets are flying their way and the stress this causes, even with proper training and range time. Real life scenarios are different.
jbi,

I assume we are on the same side here so we can keep this cordial. I don't have an issue with understanding "the right to bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed" .

Yes of course the more folks carrying could lead to more accidental shootings but that risk is far outweighed by the reduction of non-accidental shootings since the perps will have a very real fear that the intended victim also has a firearm.

Fact. People have found a reason and a way to kill other people since the beginning of time. It's part of the human condition. I for one want to be able to defend my family and myself when the need arises.

Robert
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 AM

yes and yes
Old 04-11-2008, 01:40 AM

Always cordial. I am all for more rights to carry. The right to bear arms are 'infringed' every 5 years when they fingerprint and background check you. Did the authors of the Constitution intend for this to happen. Who knows, but I am guessing no. However, since they are already 'infringed' why not follow most other states that require a weapons handling class before the initial first issue of a permit. South Carolina tends to handle their permits well in my opinion. They are a close cousin to us Georgians, yet we got it wrong and I believe they got it right. My biggest pet peeve I suppose are negligent discharges. Seen way to many. Seen way to many people get injured or killed due to these. To further, while I appreciate the effort people put into this bill, I often wonder why a required class was not considered. I think had it been included, the opposition (restaurants, etc) would feel more at ease and this would not be a 50-50 gamble as to what Sonny will do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
jbi,

I assume we are on the same side here so we can keep this cordial. I don't have an issue with understanding "the right to bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed" .

Yes of course the more folks carrying could lead to more accidental shootings but that risk is far outweighed by the reduction of non-accidental shootings since the perps will have a very real fear that the intended victim also has a firearm.

Fact. People have found a reason and a way to kill other people since the beginning of time. It's part of the human condition. I for one want to be able to defend my family and myself when the need arises.

Robert

Last edited by jbi1104; 04-11-2008 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Hooked on Phonics
Old 04-11-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Always cordial. I am all for more rights to carry. The right to bear arms are 'infringed' every 5 years when they fingerprint and background check you. Did the authors of the Constitution intend for this to happen. Who knows, but I am guessing no. However, since they are already 'infringed' why not follow most other states that require a weapons handling class before the initial first issue of a permit. South Carolina tends to handle their permits well in my opinion. They are a close cousin to us Georgians, yet we got it wrong and I believe they got it right. My biggest pet peeve I suppose are negligent discharges. Seen way to many. Seen way to many people get injured or killed due to these. To further, while I appreciate the effort people put into this bill, I often wonder why a required class was not considered. I think had it been included, the opposition (restaurants, etc) would feel more at ease and this would not be a 50-50 gamble as to what Sonny will do with it.
jbi,

You make some good points but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I want every opportunity to take the Govenment, be it Federal or State, out of my every day life. In my opinion a requirement for a class could be made so difficult that very few could pass the class....waiting lists.... Or they could price it out of the reach of the every day man....or ????etc.... When you give the government control over a situation you are just asking for the "activist" groups to find a way to legislate road blocks. So although a Training Class seems like common sense to me and you it could be abused and made into something that was never intended and used as a tool to keep firearms out of the hands of citizens.

Robert
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Bump it to the top for the day.

Robert
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Ttt
Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM

I DO, I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITH OUT IT!!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM

I do....I spoke with my Senator and Rep about HB 89 and have now emailed Sonny. If you are a member of GCO you are upto date on what to do on contacting the governor.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Keep Calling Please........Every Call Counts.

Robert
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
. . . why not follow most other states that require a weapons handling class before the initial first issue of a permit. . . . I think had it been included, the opposition (restaurants, etc) would feel more at ease and this would not be a 50-50 gamble as to what Sonny will do with it.
I hope you will still call in, write in, and support HB 89!

Please ask the Governor to sign it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 PM
redneckcamo

i do an yes ...........kinda like 23 years ago !
Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM

Ttt
Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 AM

When will we know if he signed it or not?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 AM

I do not have one, but i submitted my email, and will call here in just a bit...
Old 04-12-2008, 09:42 AM
GON Winter Weatherman

I have had a CWP since I was 21. I have had to pull my gun twice in 10 years of having my permit. One time was to defend someone else, another time was to defend myself. I never fired a shot, but I was prepared to do so.

I have taken 2 courses and I encourage everyone to take a shooting class. My FIL is a LEO and I have been with him once and like someone said above, real life situations are different than just going to the range.

I have also emailed and called the govenor.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:10 AM
GONetwork Member

I do---I did
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Yes and Yes.