GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Everything Motorized - Boats - Trucks - ATV's - etc

Old 05-11-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Motorcycle for a newbie

OK, I don't know why, but I've recently had a hankering for a motorcycle. I've never ridden a motorcycle on the street, just a few dirt bikes as a teenager. So, what kind of bike do you all recommend for someone to start off on?

I was thinking the smaller bike, the better. That way I can learn all the nuiances of riding w/out having too much power and hurting myself.

Honda has a 250 that's not very expensive. But just about everyone I've talked to so far says that that's too small a bike and that I won't enjoy it after a few months. I have no idea because I ain't never been on one on the street. What I really like about is the price tag. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on one right now.

My Dad had a 250 Rebel years ago and really liked it. He said it was a nice bike w/ plenty of power (and he's ridden enough motorcycles over his life to have a real base for comparison). 'Course he may be just trying to stop me from getting something bigger

Whatchyall think?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Question Be glad to help....

Minner,
I'll talk your ear off.
First what are your 'dimensions'? :o (Height & weight)
Secondly, what type of riding do you 'think' you'd like to do? Meaning, run up to the mountains, cruise around the country side, commuter, ....?
Thirdly, will you always be riding solo or do you foresee some two up riding?
Finally, of course, budget?
Never been without a bike since I was 14. I'll be turning old this year so I've got a few miles under my belt and plenty of research....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Old 05-11-2005, 11:38 AM

Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I'm 6'0" and weigh around 185.

2) Main riding would afternoon/weekend stuff, mountains and countryside. No commuting for a long while (I drive through a madhouse going to/from work and it'll take me a while to be comfortable doing that on a bike).

3) Predominately solo riding (one of the main reasons I want a bike - to get out by myself and ride) although, well, you never know...

4) I could probably afford a more expensive bike, but I just don't want to invest heavily in something I've never done before. Yes, I'm cheap, but I was thinking/hoping to spend in the $3,000 - $5,000 range.

Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minner
Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I'm 6'0" and weigh around 185.

2) Main riding would afternoon/weekend stuff, mountains and countryside. No commuting for a long while (I drive through a madhouse going to/from work and it'll take me a while to be comfortable doing that on a bike).

3) Predominately solo riding (one of the main reasons I want a bike - to get out by myself and ride) although, well, you never know...

4) I could probably afford a more expensive bike, but I just don't want to invest heavily in something I've never done before. Yes, I'm cheap, but I was thinking/hoping to spend in the $3,000 - $5,000 range.

Thanks again!
OK, you've got a fair amount of options. I guess one other item, what 'style' bike do you like? Since you mentioned the Rebel, I'm going to assume you like cruisers vs. sport bikes (good choice )
Now, let me immediatley say, FORGET the 250. You will be miserable on it. There is no reason for a full grown man of your height, newbie or not, to attempt to ride one of those. You will be cramped to a point that becomes UNSAFE! Do not concentrate as much on engine size (within reason) as you do on fit of the frame/handlebars. Honda made a 450 Rebel in the mid/late 80s that would be the absolute minimum I'd consider and reality is I'd steer clear of that.
In the $3k-$5k range you can find a lot of 'middle weight' to even large cruisers readily available. If you buy smart you will likely get all of your money back when in a year one of two things will almost assuredly happen.
1) You're not riding much and decide to sell it (actually noramlly takes closer to two years for most people to admit that).
2) You're loving it and want something bigger/different (that normally takes less than a year).
The newer bikes (late 90s) are MUCH better balanced machines than their predecessors. So if it was between getting an extra hundred cc's or two in an older bike vs. a newer one, I get the newer one for performance's sake. However, that newer bike will likely have some depreciation left in it so their is a trade off.
In Hondas (I've owned a few), I'd look at the various Shadows and perhaps a Magna (V45, I'd not get the V65, that thing is a beast and would probably make a better second bike).
In Yamaha's (I've owned a few) Virago's and related lines are tested and true. You 'might' be even able to get a VStar in 1100 if you're very patient for close to $5k. The 650s are readily availble but the reality is, there is not that much difference in handling but a TON in power so I'd probably not get the 650.
In Suzukis - The intruder line has always been the biggest bang for the buck by generally a large margin. The styling is different and I do know of the occasional bad story but I would not hesitate to buy a clean one.
Can't help you with Kaws.
If you have even the slightest bit of interest (which you obviously do), PLEASE sign up for the motorcycle safety course. It's a LONG wait but VERY well worth it. I took it when my wife decided she wanted to ride on her own and it is VERY VERY VERY much worth the time. Plus you get your cycle endorsement.
For used bikes, appearance tells a LOT. A bike that has not been properly stored is a sleeping problem. Avoid it if you can. Most bikes average VERY low mileage per year.
Most every bike you look at will likely have less than 20,000 miles on it and likely less than 10,000.
I assume you've been poking around cycle trader online. Shop and look at the pictures and if you find anything that peaks your interest, I'll gladly give you my $0.03.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Old 05-11-2005, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Phil. I've only really started looking over the last week hit. I don't know why, the bug just hit me and started my looking. O.K. I'm noticing a trend here to stay away from the 250.

I like the idea of buying a slightly used bike as opposed to a new one. Also, I would kinda like to stay with a Honda if I could.

I'm going to start looking now. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:11 PM

here's a good site to get you started minner

http://www.cycletrader.com/
Old 05-11-2005, 12:30 PM

Agree with Phil, Owned several street and enduro bikes.

250 is too small, it would sure give you a sore tail on a afternoon ride in the mountains.

I would go the used route, alot for sale. I would lean toward a Honda, but all the major companies make good products.

Be safe and watch out for the other guy. I have been run off the road before, no one sees you?????????????
Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 AM

Default cycle

I got one. You got a PM
Old 05-12-2005, 08:12 AM

I saw a Harley ad the other day that said they had entry level Sportsters for $4800 NEW! I would check 1 out. The 883 should be plenty for playing around on.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Phillips
I saw a Harley ad the other day that said they had entry level Sportsters for $4800 NEW! I would check 1 out. The 883 should be plenty for playing around on.
Jeff, You ever road one of those things?!?! I rode one for about two miles one day (literally) and parked it and said NEVER again!
For crying out loud, counterbalancing and rubber engine mounts are what? SEVENTIES technology.
There's a reason they are inexpensive (by Harely standards). PLUS, the Harely guys will say you're riding a 'chick bike'.

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 AM

Thumbs up

Man there are some very good deals out there....
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/7/8/79336178.htm

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Old 05-12-2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks for all the replys and the PMs guys, I really appreciate it. You're right Phil, that site has some pretty good deals on it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I still need to look around and think some more on it. My Dad is still trying to get me to get the 250. He's convinced it's a good bike as he really enjoyed the one he had back in the 80's. He even said he'd buy it from me if I didn't like it.

What I don't understand is why I'm getting such different opinions on it. My Dad loved it but nearly everyone else has said to stay away from it. What makes it such an "undesirable" bike? Is the lack of power, the seats, handlebar positioning, suspenion, etc? That $3000 price tag is what appeals to me most (if you haven't noticed it, I'm a tight-wad).

Y'all know how it is, it's hard to refute the opinion of dear-old Dad, even though a lot of people might disagree with him. Just need some more "ammo" for our discussions.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replys and the PMs guys, I really appreciate it. You're right Phil, that site has some pretty good deals on it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I still need to look around and think some more on it. My Dad is still trying to get me to get the 250. He's convinced it's a good bike as he really enjoyed the one he had back in the 80's. He even said he'd buy it from me if I didn't like it.

What I don't understand is why I'm getting such different opinions on it. My Dad loved it but nearly everyone else has said to stay away from it. What makes it such an "undesirable" bike? Is the lack of power, the seats, handlebar positioning, suspenion, etc? That $3000 price tag is what appeals to me most (if you haven't noticed it, I'm a tight-wad).

Y'all know how it is, it's hard to refute the opinion of dear-old Dad, even though a lot of people might disagree with him. Just need some more "ammo" for our discussions.
Minner,
There is nothing 'wrong' with that bike. Just like almost every bike it has it's purpose (though I've admitedly struggled with the purpose of one or two. ) That bike is NOT big enough to fit you. Fit is DIRECTLY related to SAFETY and COMFORT. It likewise does NOT have enough power to be SAFE. Most people think of power as dangerous but when you need to get out of tight spot in a hurry (which sadly will happen more than you'd like), 250cc's of engine, especially at highway speeds (which it may barely hit with you on it) and throw in Georgia's hilly terrain and you'll be anemic at best if you need some quick acceleration. Granted 99% of the bikes on the road are quicker than 99% of the cars but that bike is MUCH more readily suited for a smal framed person and for in town commuting crusing. The vibration will rattle your fillings out on a day's worth of riding. Like I said, it's a dependable bike made for a certain purpose. For $3,000 you can get three times the bike (literally) and something that will fit you MUCH better. Beyond that, it's personal style. That one I linked is VERY low sitting, very well balanced bike, that despite the engine size (1100ccs) which today is considered middle/heavy is easily handled by a person of your size. My wife used to ride that bike. She's 5''6" and weighs MUCH less than you and has little upper body strength yet she rode it like a champ. Likewise the bike fits me perfectly with my 34-35" inseam, especially with the floorboards.
The Rebel 250 is a neat little bike but it's not a bike for a full grown man. Reality is, they make 600cc scooters today and 2,200 cc production motorcycles. 250cc's is NOT for a motorcycle (of general use) for a full grown man.
I'm not slamming your dad's ride, again, it's about what you want OUT of the bike and what is out there to suit THAT desire.
Find a used bike shop around you and go sit on as many different kinds as you can. It's VERY hard to tell in 2 minutes what something will feel like after putting a few hundred miles on it but it's better than having no comparisons at all.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Minner,
. She's 5''6" and weighs MUCH less than you and has little upper body strength yet she rode it like a champ.
Phil:
Man I almost thought I was going to get some Black mail stuff. LOL

Minner:
I bought a new Honda 360, when they first came out. 1973 I think. Great bike for a college kid. Lots of power, handled well, very dependable, would go places a street bike should not have been. But, you couldn't walk after riding it a 100 miles. It would put your legs and arms to sleep. The next bike I owned was a Honda 550 4 cyl and that bike was smooth for a small bike.

If you are going to ride /cruise in the mountains you better get something a little bigger.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Phil:
Man I almost thought I was going to get some Black mail stuff. LOL
I'm stupid, but I'm no indiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Minner:
I bought a new Honda 360, when they first came out. 1973 I think. Great bike for a college kid. Lots of power, handled well, very dependable, would go places a street bike should not have been. But, you couldn't walk after riding it a 100 miles. It would put your legs and arms to sleep. The next bike I owned was a Honda 550 4 cyl and that bike was smooth for a small bike.
If you are going to ride /cruise in the mountains you better get something a little bigger.
Mac,
VERY cool! My first real high school bike was a 1976 360T. I remember how cool I thought it was since it had an electric start! It was a great bike. I remember the only interstate trip I took on it. About 80 miles to my sister's house. Highway pegs buzzing like mad the whole way. Drove there, immediately hit the couch and fell asleep. After waking up, drove back home and did the same thing. :o I think I was a sophmore in college when I bought my brother's Goldwing. I had a stereo on my bike and I was only 18. I was not your typical goldwing rider...
That 550/4 was a great engine. As good as all those bikes were (especially the bullet proof CB750s) they can not compete with the handling, comfort, and power of today's machines.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Old 05-12-2005, 02:19 PM

Good info, guys, thanks! That's the kind of information someone like me needs to hear. You can tell how green I am as I hadn't even thought about a motorcycles "fit" or comfort level.

I need to explore the "used" market more. I had been mainly focusing on new until y'all posted the link to cycle trader. I've had bad experiences buying used vehicles before and was just a little leary of that side of the market.

Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I need to explore the "used" market more. I had been mainly focusing on new until y'all posted the link to cycle trader. I've had bad experiences buying used vehicles before and was just a little leary of that side of the market.
Minner, do NOT buy new for your first bike!! Buy a clean used bike and you can likely break even or maybe even make a dollar. Other big thing is you won't cry in public when you drop it. It WILL happen, I guarantee you. It's also a good way to not take a financial bath until you find out what you really want. Then go buy new or used, whatever flips your switch. Truth is, used is better no matter what stage you are in but yes new is nice.
DEFINITELY buy used!!!! Wish you lived closer, I love bike shopping.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Old 05-12-2005, 02:45 PM

not sure if it has been mentioned but "set" on as many different ones as you can. they are all balanced a bit different and some "fit" better than others. the more comfortable you are the more confident you are, better control. some bikes will stand right up, some will have to be pulled up. you can always worry about gettin fancy once you've got some miles under your belt.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:10 PM

Default motorcycle

Minner,
you're still welcome to come to the house & ride the Suzuki, If you're not impressed, I'll buy you some gas.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:31 PM
GONetwork Member

Minner, I'd look at two late model Suzukis. The SV650 and the GS550S. There both great bikes. With standard styling and riding position. Kinda sporty but still have handelbars. You should easily find either in Cycle Trader and you should be able to get one 2-3 yrs old well within your stated budget. We'll miss you guys @ the Patch. Tell Fish Largo says, well, you guys know what Largo says. P.S. I'd probably go with the SV 650.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:54 PM

Quadsac,

I appreciate the offer and I'll definitely keep it in mind. Ain't no need to buy gas though as Resaca is just down the road a bit.

BIGGUS,

Not as much as we'll miss the Patch. That place has been some kind of good to both of us. But with all the "stuff" going on up here, it was just the right thing to do. It sure won't be the same hunting the National Forest land around here this fall. Remind me to tell y'all about the MONSTER buck I let get away from me in December. For the right amount of money, I'll even tell you were he was at BTW, Dad passed up a doe and a 8 ptr that same morning and he came out of the stand at 8:30!

Thanks again guys! Keep it coming. I'll take all the free advise I can get!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Motorcycle for newbie

My first bike was a Honda CB 160. Had electrical problems that could not be cured.
Never tried another, although I am sure mine was just a lemon.

I always liked the Brittish and European bikes and currently ride an old BMW R90. Those old airheads can be bought in your price range, handle great, and are real smooth to ride. Shaft drive is great.

I have a friend who is selling his 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal. 1100 cc, smooth, lots of torque, and runs faster than I want to go on 2 wheels. I am sorely tempted.....
Old 05-14-2005, 12:24 AM

Some great advice given... And for my 2 cents I will add.. Attend an MSF course. No matter what bike you end up purchasing. This training or equivalent should be mandatory to get a license....
Old 05-14-2005, 04:12 PM
edge

Default Some observations...

Since 2001, I've had:

'01 Kawasaki KLR 650 dual sport, single,36 horsepower, $4999
(great bike for everything but long-haul touring)
'01 Triumph Tiger 955i adventure tourer, fuel injected triple, 104 HP $10,999
(super fast, reliability was an issue, slippery when raining, looked good)
'03 Kawasaki Z750s standard street, inline four with carbs, 73 HP $5999
(old school motor, basic mid-size street bike, confort OK, average)
'04 KTM 950 Adventure adventure tourer, fuel injected v-twin, 98 HP $11000
(very fast, state of the art adventure bike, most uncomfortable seat ever)
'04 Yamaha WR 250 off road racer, single, 35 HP$5900
(good dirt bike, underpowered for me, not street legal)
currently looking at a Suzuki DL 650 V-twin adventure tourer, 66 HP $6995
(up right riding position, comfort, versatility, economy, fun factor)
All of these bikes were purchased new-totalled the Triumph after 3 weeks, sold the rest except still have the Yamaha-trying to sell/trade. I have been on a lot of rides, in city, country, mountain roads, gravel, trails and tracks.

Some things I've learned: 1. shop for used bikes first-let someone else take the big hit on depreciation 2. I agree with the others-250 is way too small unless you are planning on riding dirt/gravel roads only. Otherwise the comfort level and power will leave you wishing for alot more. 3. Cruisers are slower, less agile in the curves or side roads, sit lower, thus visiblity is less for you and others around you. 4. Sport bikes are for guys who like to watch road racing on TV and then come up to the mountains and practice it while seeing how many in their group can make it back home without crashing (happens every weekend up in Union Co.). 5. The Kawasaki KLR 650 is the most value for the buck anywhere-liquid cooled 650 cc motor, good for about 107 MPH on the road, cruises at 80 all day, small windscreen, will carry two in pinch, over 8" of suspension travel both ends for the dirty stuff, sits up tall for safety, comfortable, WILL NOT intimidate you with power, but has enough for safe passing and merging. Smooth, reliable, do everything bikes. Many people each year choose them to travel over the world, as in 15,000 mile rides, and many KLRs have over 100,000 miles on them. Great dealer network, can pick up a 2 or 3 yr. old bike for $3000. Check them out on Yahoo groups, or other sites to see for yourself. You could even take it to the hunting camp and ride it to the stand. Why don't I get another-I would, but I want something with just a little more HP and easier for two-up riding in the mountains.

Sorry so long, but I hope I have added some insight.

Jeff (erifle)

Last edited by edge; 05-14-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 PM
GONetwork Member

Thumbs up Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbodkin
Attend an MSF course.....
Wiser words have never been spoken. It's fun too. They also have an advanced course that's good for you no matter how long you've been riding .