Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 08-19-2008, 05:42 PM

Smile Where to shoot to put a deer down.

Where is the best place to shoot a deer to put it down right where it stands? Head, neck, spine, shoulder or behind the shoulder? Please no lectures on ethics or telling me to get better at blood trailing, I know all that already. I just want to know from you guys where to shoot if you want to put one down right there. Thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM

spine
Old 08-19-2008, 05:46 PM

between the eyes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 PM

i shot my first deer behind the shoulder with a 243 and it dropped him at about 75 yards with one shot
Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Retired Admin

high shoulder shot. IF you miss forward they drop, if you miss back you get both lungs, if you miss low they die quick, if you miss high you get spine...if you are on they drop like taters
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Head shot for meat one shot one kill
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM

What Jim said
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Retired Administrator

Another plus for the high shoulder shot.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM

Jim is that your new red dot scope there
Old 08-19-2008, 06:57 PM

High Shoulder
Old 08-19-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
high shoulder shot. IF you miss forward they drop, if you miss back you get both lungs, if you miss low they die quick, if you miss high you get spine...if you are on they drop like taters
took the works right out of my mouth
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM

neck shot-they will drop in their tracks...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12gamag View Post
neck shot-they will drop in their tracks...
a little low and they will starve to death.

Shoulder shot for DRT.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Retired Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Jim is that your new red dot scope there

lol nope its hangunners, I stole the pic from him
Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I vote for a little lower and to the right. Just in the crease behind the shoulder. Might not go right down but physically provides the greatest margin of error just in case.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

I found that the spot that Jim pointed out works very, very well for the reasons he stated. However, I did find also that you will destroy the shoulder on the off-side. So, what I've done now is to move the point of aim back a little so I'm just behind the shoulder and up a couple of inches. If you hit your mark, the shot will still get the lungs and it will shock the spinal cord and he'll drop right in his tracks 99% of the time. If he does run, he'll usually only go a few feet....and you destroy a minimal amount of meat.

BUT....You really need to place that shot well. If you pull the shot and hit a little further back, you might get into the salad bar. Not a pleasant deer-cleaning experience.

If you are a good marksman and are confident with your shooting, you can't beat a head shot or a good neck shot. You have a fair amount of latitude on neck shots....not so much with head shots. The problem with head shooting them is that they tend to move their heads unexpectedly and quickly. You can cause some horrific wounds that are not immediately fatal and may not provide much of a blood trail, and the deer can run off, die a slow and agonizing death, and not be found. One of the guys in my club shot a doe and tried to head shoot her. He shot her lower jaw almost completely off and she got back up and ran. We would not have ever found her, but after we got through spending about 4 hours searching for her and were leaving the area on the 4-wheelers, she ran across the logging road in front of me and stopped out in the planted pines and I shot her again. If you attempt head shots, make sure that you are good enough with your rifle and confident enough in the shot to put the bullet through the brain. If you take a shot you're not sure about, it is an unethical shot, IMHO.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Sounds like good advice to me, thanks. One of the places I am hunting this year is VERY thick on either side of the lane my stand is on. I would like to avoid trailing in the thick stuff if possible.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM

If you put it were Jim shows.Want be no blood trailing..Neck and you want trail em either..
Old 08-19-2008, 08:36 PM

I aim for the shoulder area . They wont go far if they do go any where .
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Jim is absolutely right!

For the record, I'm strongly against taking any head shots and this includes shooting does!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 PM

high shoulder works great, base of neck if you want to save a little meat
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

High neck shot for spinal cord/major blood vessels. The last 3 deer I killed were high neck....at just below the white spot. They dropped and flopped a little. You either miss or essentially decapitate with a 30/06 150gr. A little bleat tends to make 'em stop what they're doing and stick their head straight up for a perfect opportunity.

Head shots are easy to miss and you could take their jaw off so I have learned to stay away from those.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Right on the money, and like others have said, DO NOT go for neck or head shots, margin of error is too small......I've seen wounded and lost deer from both.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Shoulder

On the profile, straight up the front leg. Not always as high as Jim Thompson's example. Found they usually drop on the spot.

Neck shot, severing the spinal column will drop a deer instantaneously.

Find that a lot of experts on meat damage, never butchered a deer.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Exactly.
John 3:16
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Shoot does in the neck of head (don't waste meat). Shoot buck in shoulder
Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitworth View Post
Find that a lot of experts on meat damage, never butchered a deer.
I didn't follow that.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 PM

My preferred shot is the neck. Drops them right there. No loss of meat. But I only take that shot if they are perfectly calm and everything is just "right". If all is not right, then I put it in the "crease" at the backside of the front shoulder and then just track the deer if the shock doesn't drop them. I shoot deer for the meat. I do not lie to waste the front shoulders (they make good roasts for BBQ). I have taken a couple of head shots in my past. No negative results. But, everything was perfect. I do not plan on doing it anymore.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

I head and neck shoot does all the time. I've never missed one, I've never wounded one and I've never lost one (from a head or neck shot). I've had 3 on the ground at once...3 shots, 3 head-shot does. There are some folks, however, that have no business trying it....no doubt about that. I've seen what can happen when a marginal or poor marksman tries a shot that is outside of his capabilities.

Like Pwalls, I hunt for meat. I don't like wasting meat if I don't have to. I butcher all of my own deer, and when I'm done with it, all that's left is a pile of bones. I even get all of the meat between the ribs.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germag View Post
I head and neck shoot does all the time. I've never missed one, I've never wounded one and I've never lost one (from a head or neck shot). I've had 3 on the ground at once...3 shots, 3 head-shot does. There are some folks, however, that have no business trying it....no doubt about that. I've seen what can happen when a marginal or poor marksman tries a shot that is outside of his capabilities.

Like Pwalls, I hunt for meat. I don't like wasting meat if I don't have to. I butcher all of my own deer, and when I'm done with it, all that's left is a pile of bones. I even get all of the meat between the ribs.
What meat between the ribs?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 AM

For the record, I'm a meat hunter. The mounts are bonuses!
I'm a pretty good shot and I used to head shoot does all the time, then it happened to me....I wounded one. At about 25 feet! She was absoloutely still and all I can figure is she moved her head at the last second. I found piles of blood, but I never found her. It was the most sickening hunting experience I've ever had and I will never forget it! I no longer attempt head shots.
Broadside, it goes in the crease. Facing straight on, right below the throat patch.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman69 View Post
Where is the best place to shoot a deer to put it down right where it stands? Head, neck, spine, shoulder or behind the shoulder? Please no lectures on ethics or telling me to get better at blood trailing, I know all that already. I just want to know from you guys where to shoot if you want to put one down right there. Thanks
Middle / upper neck. Never runs. Have killed a lot with that shot and you just get up and get your deer, minimal meat loss.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 AM

agree with JT. works well with all popular deer rounds
Old 08-20-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
BINGO!!!!!

I'd also add that every big hog I have hit in the high shoulder area with a rifle or a slug has has the same effect......... down!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman69 View Post
What meat between the ribs?

There's about 1 or 2 lbs of meat between the ribs. It's enough to make a pack of hamburger meat. It takes about 5 minutes of effort to get it if you know how. It seems a little excessive, I guess....but I just have this thing about wasting it. The old fellow that taught me how to process a deer all those years ago was a retired butcher and he didn't waste a scrap of meat. If he saw you throwing bones on the pile that still had meat on them, he'd grab the bones and get the meat you left off them. He never said anything, but the message was pretty clear.

I even use the neck for soup stock if it's not too bloodshot from a neck shot.

I seen a lot of people that just pull the backstraps out and maybe take the hams and throw the rest away. It makes me sick. Seems like an awful big coincidence that ALL of the deer carcasses I see dumped on the side of the road are done that way...it sort of tells you something about the kind of people that dump deer carcasses like that. Probably poached the deer too.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb7718 View Post
For the record, I'm a meat hunter. The mounts are bonuses!
I'm a pretty good shot and I used to head shoot does all the time, then it happened to me....I wounded one. At about 25 feet! She was absoloutely still and all I can figure is she moved her head at the last second. I found piles of blood, but I never found her. It was the most sickening hunting experience I've ever had and I will never forget it! I no longer attempt head shots.
Broadside, it goes in the crease. Facing straight on, right below the throat patch.
A lost deer is a lost deer and a bad shot is a bad shot. You can loose a deer from a poorly placed shoulder shot just as well as from a poorly placed neck shot or head shot. If you miss, you just missed. There is no difference. So, when you loose one from a poorly placed shoulder shot are you going to say "I'll never try that broadside shoulder shot again."?

In fact....thinking about it, there might be a bigger chance for wounding a deer with a shoulder shot. The head is a small targer compared to the chest shot. If you miss the head, it is more likely to be a complete, clean miss. If you miss your mark on a chest shot, you will probably still hit the deer...somewhere. The big difference is probably just in our head. It seems horrible for the deer to run off and die from having it's jaw shot off.....but it's really no different from running off and dying slowly from having been brisket-shot.

The only deer I've ever lost was from a shoulder shot. I've never lost a single one from a head or neck shot.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 AM

Through the aortic arch
The author does not assume any liability for the accuracy of any information. The opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of the authorís employer. All rights are reserved, and content may not be reproduced except with the prior expressed written permission of the author.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Daily Bible Verse Organizer

Default Re:

What Jim says will put them down, but as others have said, it can be messy on the far shoulder.

I prefer to put it a little farther back in the crease. Less meat damage and lots of blood if I have to track it. I've taken an occasional head shot on does from directly above(last one was about 10 years ago). They are deadly, but you better be sure conditions are perfect, IMHO. The high percentage shots in the boiler room are what I prefer.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 AM

What Jim said.

I have a friend that uses a 222 or a 223 I am not sure and drops every deer he shoots in it tracks. Not bad for such a small gun.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 AM

exactly broadside and straight thru the shoulders
Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 AM

If you are a good enough shot. Nothing beats a neck shot. I have only had 1 very large buck not drop dead. He fell then stood back up after a minute. I just finished him off with another shot.(It was with a .222)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 AM

It all depends on how fast they're running and who's holding the light.

Just kidding. I always go for the neck if under 100 yds. Anything over 100 I go high shoulder
Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser64 View Post
I vote for a little lower and to the right. Just in the crease behind the shoulder. Might not go right down but physically provides the greatest margin of error just in case.

thats where I hit if I am low and to the right a hair
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balvarik View Post
Shoulder shot by the wife with her G20 10mm with me for size comparison.

Mike
Wow Mike, why is your wife shooting such little deer??????
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germag View Post
There's about 1 or 2 lbs of meat between the ribs. It's enough to make a pack of hamburger meat. It takes about 5 minutes of effort to get it if you know how. It seems a little excessive, I guess....but I just have this thing about wasting it. The old fellow that taught me how to process a deer all those years ago was a retired butcher and he didn't waste a scrap of meat. If he saw you throwing bones on the pile that still had meat on them, he'd grab the bones and get the meat you left off them. He never said anything, but the message was pretty clear.

I even use the neck for soup stock if it's not too bloodshot from a neck shot.

I seen a lot of people that just pull the backstraps out and maybe take the hams and throw the rest away. It makes me sick. Seems like an awful big coincidence that ALL of the deer carcasses I see dumped on the side of the road are done that way...it sort of tells you something about the kind of people that dump deer carcasses like that. Probably poached the deer too.

I cut all neck meat off all the wauy up to the head (cutting around where I shoot). I take flanks off the ribs and grind it up. I use both front shoulder(which is why I do not like shooting them there) and both hams, backstraps etc. I waste very little, except when trimming it up for the grinder. The trimmings get cooked in a big pan and fed to my dog. Only thing left when I am done are bones and the forelegs.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:45 AM

I support what Jim said.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 AM

i personally think that the shoulder is the best place to put them down, but i have a few buddies that wont shoot does anywhere but the white patch under their throat, or right between the eyes. i like the shoulder most of all, partly because most of the time you get a souvenier after you skin them.....
Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Neck shot
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM

What Jim T. wrote.

Here is a very good read on this very subject ....
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html
Hearing the Hounds chase Mr. and Mrs. Whitetail in the SC swamps PRICELESS

You cant scare me, Iv got children

Todays mighty oak is yesterdays nut that held it's ground
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Jim's the man! Drop em where they stand!