they wore us out this morning!!!

jay sullivent

we pulled up to the spot this morning and dropped our bait down on downlines, and the action was immediate!!! 10 minutes after we arrived we had 5 nice fish. all in the 5 lb range. one fish WE caught swallowed the bait on three different poles!! never had that happen before. he had 3 hooks in his mouth. the action was steady till about nine o'clock, and by then we had 18 striper and hybrid, 3 white perch, and 2 small catfish. we released 2 more hybrid that were real small, and had one five pounder come off the hook at the boat. we anchored pretty much right away, and chummed and tapped the bottom of the boat off and on all morning. it was a blast. there were several times when we had two or three fish hooked at one time. surface temp was 80 , and our fish were caght 20-25 feet down in 30 feet of water. the perch and cats were caught on small pieces of cut bait. taking my dad back to the same spot tomorrow.

Last edited:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Jay, I think you have those bad boys figured out!

Congrats on a really fine catch...:clap:

My buddies showed me a hole yesterday about 30 ft. deep withem stacked up in it. I guess we should have tried some chummin and tappin on them before we moved off of them. As it was, I was the only one that got bit and it was a short strike at that.

I may try out your method tomorrow on them if we don't load the boat on the first stop.

jay sullivent

i like to slap and splash the surface of the water too. it seems to get their attention. sounds like fish schooling on the surface. if things get slow, tapping and splashing sure seems to help. do it for a few minutes and if they are near, they will come see what the deal is.

Duff

Looks like you had some fun Jay! :clap:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Jay,

You're right it works!

I noticed that yesterday while cleaning the filter on the bait tank. I was slapping and splashing the water with the filter housing trying to wash off the scales from the shad and my buds started getting hits right after that. I guess the fish think it's there buddies in a feeding frenzy and in turn they also start biting.

I had an uncle who use to be a commercial fisherman back in the 50& 60's and I've seen & heard of him running the boat wide open in a circle around the spot where the fish were suppose to be and then he'd wear them out afterwards.... :bounce:

jay sullivent

i saw on the ralph barbee fishing show, him and captain david willard were fishing at the hill, and they were turning on the trolling motor with half the prop in to splash and make noise to attract fish. this doesn't work well in a jon boat. it wants to push the boat and it gets you wet as heck. throwing a cast net at night seems to attract the hybrids as well. me and deddy were night fishing last year and run out of herring. i started having to catch my own and it got to a point where as soon as i could net a few, get them on and drop them down, something would nail it. it would take my 3 or 4 casts to get 3 or 4 herring, but if i could get 4 herring, we would hook 4 fish. i think casting the net was working em up.

matthewsman

jay looks like y'all might have scared those fish to the top

Your friends are 'bout as ugly as mine ::ke: looks like y'all had fun though :cheers:

Last edited:

jay sullivent

Mr. Striper said:
Whats on that guys chin????? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

that's my bottom lip!! i don't know why i always make funny facial expressions when hoisting up fish. i think it runs in the family though, look at my boy!!

Attachments

• light of my life.JPG
    light of my life.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 546

matthewsman

that's a stout boy

looks like 10lbs of bream :clap:

jay sullivent

lswoody said:
Great catch Jay!!!!!! What do you use to chum with? Thanks, Scott Woody

i take the used or dead herring and cut them into little pieces. if the herring is on the hook more than 15 minutes in the summer time, they start to die. change em and cut em up. fresh lively bait is very important. i'll save left over bait in the freezer and use it as chum, but lately i just been using dead or weak herring from the ones we buy that morning.

stevetarget

all we need to know now is where you were fishing. Not the exact spot but which end of the lake?

jay sullivent

that doesn't always help. there were two guys fishing a few hundred yards from us that only caught 1 fish. i,ve had them ganged up under the boat before wearing them out with people all around us not catching a thing.

Latest posts