Exit wound video?

Sixes

I shot this buck last Monday evening, the shot was around 10-12 yards and I was approximately 35 feet above the deer (yep, too steep of an angle). The shot is only that steep in one place and if I would have waited a few more yards, the angle would have been much better.

At the shot, the deer ran about 40-50 yards and stopped, I watched (waiting on him to fall) as he stood still for a couple of minutes, he then proceded to walk up a steep hill and out of sight. I could my arrow laying on the ground and not "stuck" in the ground, I climbed down and the arrow had meat on the broadhead and the fletching and fat smeared on the shaft, no blood and a little hair.

I climbed back up and ended up seeing the buck right before dark and he appeared fine and it looks like he is fine.

Anyway, you can clearly see the exit wound and that the deer appears OK a week later.

I would have thought this would have taken aout his offside lung, but I'm not sure. I know some people believe in a "non vital zone above the lungs and below the spine" and some don't. Either way, I wanted to show how tough deer are and show an interesting video.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i100.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/bowhunter6/IM000022.flv">

fountain

i would tend to thing that would have done it. it may have been a little high, but not high enough for " no man's land". with the fat on the arrow, the apparently you hit the hollow zone where there are no vital spots.

RipperIII

looks like there is some swelling running from the spine area down to the breast area, infection will probably get him if you don't get him first

Sixes

looks like there is some swelling running from the spine area down to the breast area, infection will probably get him if you don't get him first

Unless he starts to show a bad infection or weight loss, then he is probably going to get a free pass, looks like he earned it.

Mudfeather

You would be amazed at what they live though...I killed one last year with an entrance wound just in front of the ham and an exit in the flank...I deleted the pics of photobucket just the other day

ClydeWigg3

That's plenty low enough. Deer don't have an "air pocket" like some folks think, their vitals go all the way up to the spine. If nothing else I would have though you would have hit the bottom of the spine, or vertebrae.

labs4life

I would think with that severe an angle, your shot entered just on the opposite side of the back bone and traveled the rib cage without puncturing any vital organs. At steep angles, weird things can happen. If you would have gone through ribs at that angle, there would have blood on the arrow and not fat. IMO
The deer will be fine for another day.

Rangerboats

I know the feeling I have shot a doe before with my bow close to the same location...a little high....just a little bit of meat and no blood. Saw the deer later that year clearly see where she was shot..but doing fine. They say there is a pocket about the size of a football above the lungs and spinal cord that there is no vitals, I think the deer should be fine, definetly look that way from the video.

ClydeWigg3

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=85426

Deerskeleton.jpg

Again, there are no "air pockets" in a deers body except for those surrounded by lung tissue. :bounce:

ClydeWigg3

Sixes, Take a look at this and tell me if I have your shot placement at about the same location from your video? this looks like a lung hit to me, but I may be wrong. He looks like a very lucky deer to me, and I don't know if I'd waste any more arrows on him. Looks 6 feet tall and bullet proof. :bounce:

deershotcomparison.jpg
[/IMG]

labs4life

Sixes, Take a look at this and tell me if I have your shot placement at about the same location from your video? this looks like a lung hit to me, but I may be wrong. He looks like a very lucky deer to me, and I don't know if I'd waste any more arrows on him. Looks 6 feet tall and bullet proof. :bounce:

deershotcomparison.jpg
[/IMG]

That is the exit. We have no idea where the entry is. If the entry is on top of the spine, the arrow could have been deflected by the rib cage and exited as shown with no vitals hit.

BowChilling

That is amazing video. You almost certainly got one lung. deer can survive this and this one looks like he'll be fine.

puredrenalin

i would tend to thing that would have done it. it may have been a little high, but not high enough for " no man's land". with the fat on the arrow, the apparently you hit the hollow zone where there are no vital spots.

Did it sound like ya hit a 5 gallon drum when ya hit him?? If you did, you defiately hit the void!! He will be just fine....