Average Deer weight?

blackbear

Whats the average weight for a 1 1/2 year old buck or Doe?What have you seen this year?Are the deer on the lite side or heavy side this year in your area?

cpowel10

The only 1 1/2 yo deer killed off our place this year was a 160 lb 8 pt my girlfriend got last night

3 Pointer

3 Pointer Opening Day...Butts County...30-30 Leverevalution did a number exiting.

Attachments

• 3pt..JPG
    3pt..JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 13,327

TenPtr

That depends on where you are hunting. I hunt in Newton and Toombs county........The body weights are incredibly different. The average weight of a 1.5 yrd old buck on my place in Newton county is probably in the 100-120 lb range.....I dont know for sure cause I dont shoot them. I do know that the 3.5 yr old bucks weigh between 170-190 lbs on avg.
The 1.5 yr old bucks on my place in Toombs county probably average around 80-90 lbs. Our 3.5-4.5 yr old bucks generally weigh about 150 lbs.

I have found that alot if not most hunters over estimate body weight big time. Its amazing how often you hear " ohhh he weighed about 200 lbs".............I have killed some big GA deer and my heaviest buck came from Mitchell County and weighed 215 lbs on a certified scale, he also sported a 151" rack.
200 lbs is a BIG deer. MOST of the time someone guesses 200 lbs its really in the 170-180 lb range.
It also depends on what time of year it is, genetics, and habitat. Bucks can lose up to 25% of their body weight during the rut so November is not the best time to get an accurate read on the average weight of your bucks. There have been bucks recorded in GA that have been around 300 lbs so anything is possible!
I have noticed that all the bucks I have on trail cam this year seem to be very healthy looking. The 3.5 yr old bucks appear to be about 15-20 lbs heavier on average than last year. This would be the result of the giant mast crop we have had this year.
There will always be some deer that are extremely heavy for their age or extremely light but for the most part each particular age class has a median with relatively slight margins.

For example........

On my place in Newton County here is what I have observed.

BUCKS:

1.5 - 100-120 lbs
2.5 - 140-160 lbs
3.5 - 170- 190 lbs
4.5 - 190 +
5.5 - Bustin my tail to find out!

Last edited:

GA DAWG

I' say 80lb-90lb field dressed is about average for a 1.5 yr old buck in ga..