Poll: Should DNR Officers Wear Blaze Orange????

Should DNR Agents Wear Blaze Orange???

• Yes

Votes: 262 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 9.0%
  • Don't Know/Don't Care

Votes: 11 3.7%

• Total voters
Several folks have commented about this, and many more have probably thought about it over the last few days.

So what is your opinion? Should it become a standard operating procedure of the DNR that its officers wear blaze orange when in the field during hunting season?

TenPtr

If they wore orange than how could they ever sneek up on us at prime of the day and ruin our perfectly legal hunt??

On a more serious note: Yes they should.

shdw633

It is your responsiblility to know your target and their responsiblility to be able to get up on violators unseen. Half of their success comes from their ability to "surprise" a poacher. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and quit expecting everyone else to do it for them. JMO.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Sometimes.
If they are concealed and watching for violators or trying to sneak up on a known violator it would be foolish to wear orange.
If they are walking through the woods for any other purpose, it would be foolish not to wear orange.

BIGJOHNA

Yep!!! I had a cop stop me one night when I followed him at 78 m.p.h. on I-85 for like five miles. I figured if he was speeding I could also. He asked if I thought I was above the law. I told him " no sir" do you think you are? Yes I did get the ticket!:banginghe My point was, if he was speeding why couldnt I ? So back to the wardens, if I have to wear a vest to be safe why doesnt he wear one?

Jighead

Gone but not forgotten
It is your responsiblility to know your target and their responsiblility to be able to get up on violators unseen. Half of their success comes from their ability to "surprise" a poacher. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and quit expecting everyone else to do it for them. JMO.

If all people were responsible, then no one would have to wear orange.There will always be the few ignorant types that will shoot at a movement in the bushes, therefore "anyone" that doesn't wear orange is taking a risk.

killitgrillit

When your dumb ya gotta be tuff.

If they decide not to where it then I hope there tuff

ReTrade

Whatever

Are you serious? Why should they be required to abide by the same laws and standards set for the public? They are in power to protect us from ourselves.

jettman96

If they are in a "sting" type of operation then they should be able to shed the orange. but, if they are out "patrolling" then they should have to wear the orange vest.

As for folks not fully identifying their target...they're the reason we all have to wear orange so, why should it be any different for DNR officers? DNR officers are really putting their life into those idiots hands by not wearing it.

BigBushClub

Yep!!! I had a cop stop me one night when I followed him at 78 m.p.h. on I-85 for like five miles. I figured if he was speeding I could also. He asked if I thought I was above the law. I told him " no sir" do you think you are? Yes I did get the ticket!:banginghe My point was, if he was speeding why couldnt I ? So back to the wardens, if I have to wear a vest to be safe why doesnt he wear one?

Who said they think they are above the law? The law says anyone "hunting" must wear orange. They aren't hunting. They are working. So they are not breaking any laws by not wearing one the way a cop is when he's speeding.

Purely from a safety standpoint, yes, they should wear it. I voted yes on the poll, but based on safety, not that any law applies to them that they should be following. There are lots of idiots out there that will shoot at movement, no matter how pathetic that fact is.

BowChilling

Honestly nobody should have to wear fl orange. But there are a lot of irresponsible idiots in the woods during hunting season which makes it necessary to wear the orange! If it were not against the law I would still wear it to and from my stand to protect myself from those morons. If I were a DNR ranger I would wear orange because of those same nimrods. :crazy:

KGauger

Anyone walking in the woods during deer season, hunter, DNR Ranger, hiker, etc, should be wearing florescent orange. Unfortunately some hunters expect to see florescent orange and react differently if there is no florescent orange. If I am walking in any area where there may be deer hunters, I will be wearing florescent orange.

chambers270

Sometimes.
If they are concealed and watching for violators or trying to sneak up on a known violator it would be foolish to wear orange.
If they are walking through the woods for any other purpose, it would be foolish not to wear orange.

I agree, if I saw someone walking up to me with a vest on my first thought would be another hunter, not a DNR. They would suprise just as many people walking up with a vest. If they are laid out in the bushes then the need is not as great. I know I would not want to walk around in the woods all the time without a vest.

biggtruxx

If the hunter has to................ why shouldnt they have to? are they above their own laws?

I say its in their best interest to wear the vest.

Greene728

How foolish! How do you know if he was possibly persuing a DUI suspect or en-route to assist another officer? They dont always use lights and sirens because depending on the time of day and or traffic conditions it often causes people to panic creating a bigger problem than if they just left them off. Now that may not have been the case in your situation but it could have been. Ive been in public safety a long time and I always find it humorous when people just assume what the officer is doing is wrong and they can do it to. Now im not saying the officer was in the right cause he may not have been, but sometimes they speed its whats required to possibly save someones life when time could be of the essence.
Yes, they should have to wear it. If I have to wear it for safety, then so should they.
But heres the thing, how are they supposed to sneak in and catch a slippery poacher if they see them coming. As stated before if just checking licenses or patrolling then yes, but if trying to bust someone breaking the law for hunting over bait, tresspasing etc. then no. But unfortunately with some of the morons thats in the woods its a inherited risk if they decide not too.

cball917

i honesty think that anyone in the woods should wear it. too much could happen.

River Rambler

This guy's quote below says it perfectly.
There's a law that requires us to wear it when in the woods for our safety. They are trying to enforce laws that are being broken by guys with guns. I can't believe they aren't required to wear it. Now in cases of out of season areas, or managing trout streams it's a different story.
Always believed all law enforcement should be clearly visible.

When your dumb ya gotta be tuff.

If they decide not to where it then I hope there tuff