GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > General Hunting

Old 07-28-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Moon Phases

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/vphase.html
Old 09-10-2005, 11:47 PM

Default 5 year study !

:ht2 A 5 year study shows that dear do not actually feed more at night under a full moon or daytime with the moon overhead! Acording to deer hunting mag,they use cameras and some high tech equimpent i guess.I was taught differant than that, deer move with the moon and feed more.Maybe there wrong maybe there right or maybe they have been studying northern deer to long Any way just want to know what u fellas think about that
Old 09-11-2005, 09:57 AM

Default jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro
:ht2 A 5 year study shows that dear do not actually feed more at night under a full moon(I was always brought up this way also cause of the Deer would feed with the Cattle) or daytime with the moon overhead! Acording to deer hunting mag,they use cameras and some high tech equimpent i guess.I was taught differant than that, deer move with the moon and feed more.Maybe there wrong maybe there right or maybe they have been studying northern deer to long Any way just want to know what u fellas think about that
So as to my humble knowledge and I hope i'm right they do feed the same still
Old 09-11-2005, 09:32 PM

Default eat as they wish

eat when they want, sleep when they want moon has nothing to do with it.So says the tall tailed magazine artical but my father in law doesnt believe that is all true.but statistics and studies have been done and thats what has come to pass.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro
:ht2 A 5 year study shows that dear do not actually feed more at night under a full moon or daytime with the moon overhead! Acording to deer hunting mag,they use cameras and some high tech equimpent i guess.I was taught differant than that, deer move with the moon and feed more.Maybe there wrong maybe there right or maybe they have been studying northern deer to long Any way just want to know what u fellas think about that
I read that stuff in Deer and Deer hunting mag and although I have a lot of respect for Charles Alsheimer he basis most of his research on his private deer enclosure that is 26 acres in upstate New York.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 PM

somebody told me one time that deer feed the most when the moon is at 11 o clock or something like that i dont know.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Admin

Well, per Rick Taylor's Astro tables 2005 in GON, for December, he says the 15th is the best day between 10:19am-1:57pm. That is the full moon. That's a Thursday, and I'll be at work, so if you go on that day and hunt the midday hunt and see deer post it here on this thread. That way we'll know it worked once.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Will the position of the moon keep you from going into the woods...Don't think so.....I will use it against the wife though..."Look Dear!. The Moon is in perfect position, I have to get into the woods. Sorry I can't go to your sisters wedding"
Old 01-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Banned

Might be just bad luck but I have noticed decreased morning movement during a full moon.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Daily Bible Verse Organizer

Default Re: Moon

Well, I think I'll hunt when I have the time regardless of moon phase, but I do think that the moon phase reduces the movement of buck when they're highly pressured. I think they are more inclined to move under cover of darkness in that situation.

Still my theory has lots of holes in it. I once shot an 11 pointer on Sept 27 in the afternoon with the full moon up at 5:00 PM in the afternoon. It was also 95 degrees. That should pretty much blow every theory in the book.

Moral: Hunt when you can and enjoy the experience!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee County
Will the position of the moon keep you from going into the woods...Don't think so.....I will use it against the wife though..."Look Dear!. The Moon is in perfect position, I have to get into the woods. Sorry I can't go to your sisters wedding"
I've got to remember that one!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:08 PM

I have had my best luck on first or last 1/4 moons.Also it depends on hunting pressure,and whether or not a hot doe is around.Like others I'm going to be in the woods regardless,but it does help get ya motivated sometimes.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:02 PM

Dont pay no attention to the phase, pay attention to when it rises and falls and what kind of weather is happening.
The phase of the moon does not impact deer as much as the weather and pressure.

Look for:
High barometric pressure
Low humidity
Low temps 30degrees and below
Clear skys
Slight steady breeze
And a Rising (of falling) moon .... rising is better
This means the moon is up in the sky and you can see it say like 1,2 3:00 in the afternoon, long before the sun sets. This puts the deer up on their feet earlier. Weather and moon conditions likes these means you need to be on stand early in the afternoon.
A falling moon means the moon is still up in the sky and you can see it long after the sun has risen. Weather and a moon like that means you stay on stand later in the morning.

While hunters have killed deer in rain and stormy weather, it is not the best time to hunt deer.
In fact, looking back over my kills, Iv killed many deer in rain and stormy weather, almost exclusivly bucks.
So this backs up the fact that you need to be in the woods any chance you get cuz you cant kill one sitting at home in the lazy boy watchin ESPN.
But, if you are looking THE perfect weather to hunt in ....
High barometric pressure
Low humidity
Low temps 30degrees and below
Clear skys
Slight steady breeze
Hearing the Hounds chase Mr. and Mrs. Whitetail in the SC swamps PRICELESS

You cant scare me, Iv got children

Todays mighty oak is yesterdays nut that held it's ground
Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

Good advice CPiper. I will remember.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 PM

I believe in moon phases. Sea turtles lay their eggs in perfect timing. Fish react to it. EMT's sware people go nuts during the full moon as do cops. I see deer when the moon is up in the day and do not see them when the moon is up in the night. I think they feed so much with a full moon at night they bed till around noon and then only munch around bedding until nightfall.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:24 PM
GONetwork Member

I believe moon does effect deermovement but i hunt every chance i get.I believe when there is no moon or small moon and a cloudy overcast evening the deer will move get up and start feeding sooner then if its a full moon clear sky.I have taken several in sits. like that.I do know some fellas that have been sucessfull going by mooncharts you know best time 2 pm and they go in at 12 and wait.I hope sept9 730 am is a good time.YEA come on.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:28 PM

CPiper is dead on.
While you're likely to see a deer anytime, the best time to see them is exactly as he says. The location of the moon is important, but the weather is just as important. I also believe that they react different in different areas of the country (but the jury is still out on that theory.) I do see much more deer when the moon is in the 10-11 o'clock positon, (or, exactly twelve hours after it was in the 12o'clock position, it does not matter about the time of day) especially if the pressure is between 30.00-29.85 and falling. (which usually means a front is about to come in.) This sounds complicated but it's not, when you realize how the moon orbits around the earth-or is it the other way around? Just kiddin'.

Hey, CPiper, remember me? This forum just ain't as much fun since they made us quit the "serious discussion" about dog hunting. Where is my ole buddy what's-his-name? (was it Buckwheat?-or something like that?)
How are you doing? Is that invite still good? Don't get on here very much anymore. But I sure did enjoy our "debates".
Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 AM

I ALWAYS NOTICE DEER MOVEMENT RIGHT AT DAYLIGHT ON A FULL MOON DEER USALLY MOVING INTO COVER TO BED. I TRY TO FIND OUT WHERE THEY ARE BEDDDING EAIRLER IN THE YEAR, SET MY STAND THERE BE AS QUIET AS POSS AND GO INTO THE WOOD 30-45MIN PRIOR TO DAYLIGHT HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Default MoonStruck, Read it and believe it...

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met on the topic of hunting the moon this past week at the Shot Show in Orlando Florida. Some of you may know him as a writer for Whitetail Magazine, Field and Stream, Staff Hunter for RiversEdge hunting stands etc. over the years. His name is Jeff Murray, and he has done extensive research on this topic and written a book to further educate hunters on the advantages of hunting by the phases of the moon. He should know something about it as he also two copyrights: One is on his Moon Guide and the other on his Rut Guide, both are available on his website http://www.MoonGuide.com Jeff spent 4 nights with the crew of Bait-Master at the Orlando Shot Show in support of our new product line. I had extensive conversations with Jeff regarding his guides and their use. I plan on buying the book, and the guides before next year gets here and hunt strategically for the first time using his methods. I don't think I will disappointed, Jeff has taken at least 13 Pope and Young/Boone and Crocket bucks since he perfected his moon guide, at least one every year since he began using this method. When you think about moon phases keep in mind the oceans rhythms are based on it, plant growth depends on it, and all animals have an internal clock that ticks with the moon phases.

Iím sold, but donít take my word for it. Checkout the website, Buy or checkout his book from a library. The guy knows his stuff.

Good Hunting, and be safe!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Banned

So hiram.......Are you in sales?

Seriously though, sounds like an interesting book.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Just trying to help...

Nope, not in sales at least not selling moon guides. Sorry, I guess I was a little excited to share what I had learned.

Take care out there...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Down View Post
Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
potsticker

well,well. if I were a deer when would i eat? depends if I had any close encounters with mr. stinky. If an encounter with he who stinks and hides in trees it would be at night. If i eat at night a little moon would be just fine. maybe a little wine to. If the feed is good and the moon is out i just may stay a little longer than i intended. When the rut is in i may not have time to eat but i will need food and i may show up on a food source anytime. whild chasing does and the moon is full you may find me miles from the crib at daylight. i have to travel a long way in the light to get back and thats when i become a food sourse!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM

AMEN FORMULA 1,
I hunt when I can but these Georgia deer always seem to be scarce when the Moon is full at night. I've noticed it for years. I have slept in and hunted midday and got lucky a time or two during full moon.