Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting

Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 PM

Default **** (UPDATE) **** Jay Gregory (update with Tammi & Wyatt) -- Kansas buck w/ pics

This was sent to me in an e-mail. I thought I would share for anyone interested. In case anyone doesn't know who he is, Jay Gregory has the TV show on The Outdoor Channel called The Wild Outdoors.

Here is what was in the e-mail:

"Typical 10 We have Cuddeback photos of this deer in velvet, half out of velvet, and hard horned. He was definately one we were looking to see this fall!"

177 3/8"

I forgot to add another e-mail of pics of Jay & Tammi's son Wyatt with what they said was his first buck with a bow.

Also, just received another e-mail with Tammi's bow buck. This family has got it going on. Great, hardworking hunters with some good ground to hunt.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kevin Farr; 12-05-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: add Wyatt's buck & Tammi's buck
Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Thats a monster! Cant wait to see the show in 09
Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 PM

I'd say closer to 167", but he's a good buck...

I could be wrong on score...???
Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 PM

he killed them on the diamond spring ranch

that is a absolute monster
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM

Great Bucks. That buck has long tines and great mass. If he says it is 177 and change, I believe it.lol
Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 PM

i cant beleive that kid!!! haha thats awsome!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Awesome bucks!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 PM

Jays stature for killing magnificant bucks is un denied .
Living in the midwest dont hurt either

1 day I will be there as well , less than 9 yrs to go for me !!!!! Im counting them down .
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 AM

Talking rekon how tall the fence was?

Just poking a little fun.......but really how big was the encloser?
Mighta teamed up with ol' Jimmy Houston on that one maybe?
But seriously, that's a nice deer, wonder if the tag in its ear left a hole.
I'm sorry bout that, Lord please forgive me and be with them starving pigmes down in new Guinne.
Wish I could kill a deer like that with my bow.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 AM

It’s an awesome deer but those guys are hand fed opportunities we only dream of. In reality it’s not even fair they be compared to us. I refuse to worship any of those guys; if we were given the same opportunities you’d be seeing us on TV. It’s getting to be like NASCAR. Even Derek Cope could win the championship if you put him in Jimmy Johnson's cars. It’s all about $$$$ and sponsorship.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:30 AM

hate to diasagree with you R A G .
These guys pay their dues , sure they get to hunt some qualty spots but they also hunts their tales off .

Many of the Big namers you see on Tv have hunted and killed massive deer on public land in the mid west .
Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 AM

I disagree back. Have a friend he saved his entire life to hunt one of the best spots in KS. A famous television hunter we all know showed up. He has his picture with him! They took him (the famous hunter) to a spot no one was allowed to hunt within 2 square miles of! The buck they had hand saved for him didn’t field score over 170" so he left angry said they wasted his time!!! Yea they might hunt their tails off but they're given opportunities at deer we'll most likely never get.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 AM

Great bucks !
My hero is Jay & Tammi's son Wyatt. Hes da man ..er boy !
Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 AM
GONetwork Member

i like jays show couple great bucks there.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Retired Admin

GREAT bucks! congrats to Jay and Wyatt
Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRNYRS View Post
Just poking a little fun.......but really how big was the encloser?
Mighta teamed up with ol' Jimmy Houston on that one maybe?
But seriously, that's a nice deer, wonder if the tag in its ear left a hole.
I'm sorry bout that, Lord please forgive me and be with them starving pigmes down in new Guinne.
Wish I could kill a deer like that with my bow.
I'm pretty sure that Jay and his don't hunt high fences. They do hunt some great ground, but so do a lot of other people in the Midwest. From what I know about Jay, (which is not everything), he and Tammy own some farms of their own as well as hunting some other ground, but again, I'm pretty confident that none of it is in high fence.

Maybe one day, you and I both can kill one like that with our bow. I'm still trying and dreaming.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble & Strut View Post
I'm pretty sure that Jay and his don't hunt high fences. They do hunt some great ground, but so do a lot of other people in the Midwest. From what I know about Jay, (which is not everything), he and Tammy own some farms of their own as well as hunting some other ground, but again, I'm pretty confident that none of it is in high fence.

Maybe one day, you and I both can kill one like that with our bow. I'm still trying and dreaming.

dont worry about it, the questions always come up when a fine buck falls...unless of course its done on public land wearing a leopard thong carrying a sharp stick
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Army Guy View Post
Itís an awesome deer but those guys are hand fed opportunities we only dream of. In reality itís not even fair they be compared to us. I refuse to worship any of those guys; if we were given the same opportunities youíd be seeing us on TV. Itís getting to be like NASCAR. Even Derek Cope could win the championship if you put him in Jimmy Johnson's cars. Itís all about $$$$ and sponsorship.
No doubt, some people do get those special opportunities that others don't. Some are celebrities and some are just very wealthy. However, I don't think it is fair to compare every celebrity or wealthy person to those that are "hand fed" those bucks. Just because a few get those "special priveleges", doesn't mean that they all do.

A lot of Jay and his family's hunting is done on their own land and some is on other ground. I can't speak for certain about their other ground, but I'm pretty sure that Jay and them hunt hard all season as well as doing their off-season work to try and kill the big bucks that we all desire on their personal farms. Just as Lee and Tiffany have their own land that they hunt and kill some monster bucks on.

That being said, you are correct that if we had the same opportunities, we could possibly kill some of those kinds of deer. If we could own and hunt the ground that they do and lived there so we could hunt all season, we could probably stand a good chance of getting it done ourself.

I know that I have been on deer hunts with groups. One deer trip, I killed a low 160 gross buck after I had passed a few others as big as 140. Pure luck, but I had done it. The next year, the weather was hot and the deer were locked down, but I got lucky again and killed a 12 pt with 5 stickers that grossed in the high 150's the first afternoon. By the next day at lunch, I was already feeling the jealousy/resentment from some of the others in camp and was even accused of having the best spot to hunt, while they were taking the leftovers. This was most definitely not the case, although I'm sure it happens on occasion. I guess sometimes one man's luck, success, good fortune is another man's jealousy. Go figure.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
dont worry about it, the questions always come up when a fine buck falls...unless of course its done on public land wearing a leopard thong carrying a sharp stick

That's funny right there.

Yeah, I know. By the way, I killed one of those hunting like you mentioned except my thong was made from skunk. Do I still qualify??????
Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
I know that I have been on deer hunts with groups. One deer trip, I killed a low 160 gross buck after I had passed a few others as big as 140. Pure luck, but I had done it. The next year, the weather was hot and the deer were locked down, but I got lucky again and killed a 12 pt with 5 stickers that grossed in the high 150's the first afternoon. By the next day at lunch, I was already feeling the jealousy/resentment from some of the others in camp and was even accused of having the best spot to hunt, while they were taking the leftovers. This was most definitely not the case, although I'm sure it happens on occasion. I guess sometimes one man's luck, success, good fortune is another man's jealousy. Go figure.

same exact thing was happening a couple of weeks back when we were in IL at our outfitter. me and bubba were seeing bunches of deer and a good number of bucks. bubba missed one that would have probably grossed in the 60's...I killed my lil one and then the rumbling started. a couple of fellas there on their first hunt mentioned to his guide that we were probably getting "put on them" since we had been there so many times etc etc etc.

it never ends.

I can tell you that unless your in a pen there is NEVER a guarantee that you will even see a buck, much less kill one and then to do it with a bow????

folks these are free ranging whitetails that come and go as they please. they are easier to pattern in the midwest because of the lack of timber, but not that easy...not even close to being easy.

ask bubbabuck about the MORE THAN 90 hours on stand that week...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
That's funny right there.

Yeah, I know. By the way, I killed one of those hunting like you mentioned except my thong was made from skunk. Do I still qualify??????
skunk works for the smaller folks

Quote:
btw I meant to mention that after staying on stand from daylight to dark 8 of the 9 days we were there his bow tag was unfilled and he made a booboo on a itsy bitsy baby 8 on the last day with a gun...after our stands were "hand picked" for us and "saved" for us...after all we were there filming and after all we were such great clients
Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
skunk works for the smaller folks
it was an unusually large skunk
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 AM

Red face holy crap, i was kidding

I thought that I made it very clear that my post was completely in jest. Looks like I open the flood gates. Sorry guys, didn't mean to poke anyone in the eye. Geeze, sometime people get so touchy. It was a joke, really.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I thought that I made it very clear that my post was completely in jest. Looks like I open the flood gates. Sorry guys, didn't mean to poke anyone in the eye. Geeze, sometime people get so touchy. It was a joke, really.
NO, I got it. It's cool by me. I read and understood what you said and that you were joking. But in case someone else was reading and didn't understand it was a joke, I thought I would respond in hopes that it didn't turn into anything negative. No harm, no foul ........... other than maybe my skunk thong mentioned above. take care and kill a big un
Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
no problem. but next time you gotta use a bunch of these lil fellas

also, dont worry someone else will be on here soon enough knocking the kills
Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Those are great mid west bucks.. Wyatt is spoiled for sure with that deer!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Hope I can put my younguns on a deer like that some day. Heck would like to kill one like that one day!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 AM

The deer in this pic is not Jay's largest either. I have his dvd (wanted) with a I believe a 200" or right at the 200" and he killed it on his farm. It was a neat kill because he had a lot of history with this particular buck and in the end of this episode all the guys that he hunts with came in and had that camp experience that we all love. calling your friends to come look at the big buck ya just killed. And in it he also had the all famous mark drury come over and look at it. Was very cool episode...my all time favorite
Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Its all about WHERE and HOW MUCH you hunt. Jay Gregory is a awesome bowhunter. But so is another couple hundred of folks who live in and hunt the mid-west. I was at a Illinois site yesterday reading about a bowhunter(no one has ever heard of) who killed a 238 this year with his bow. That is his 4th B&C in 5 years with a bow and he only 29 years old. Get my point?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincox View Post
Its all about WHERE and HOW MUCH you hunt. Jay Gregory is a awesome bowhunter. But so is another couple hundred of folks who live in and hunt the mid-west. I was at a Illinois site yesterday reading about a bowhunter(no one has ever heard of) who killed a 238 this year with his bow. That is his 4th B&C in 5 years with a bow and he only 29 years old. Get my point?
Yeah I read an article in Illinois Game and Fish a couple years ago that ranked the Illinois counties kind of like GON does. The county I hunt in had about 16 PYs listed. I have two on my wall that have never been entered and the guy I hunt with has well over 10 himself. All the guys we hunt with have at least 4 or 5 a piece and none of them care about official score. The only buck up there they had officially scored was a 12 pter that was locked up with a 7 pointer and found dead. The 12 pointer NETTED 204 6/8". So there are a ton of back woodsers up there that no one knows. But Jay Gregory is one of my favorites all the way back to when he was a teenager hunting with the Drury's.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincox View Post
I couldn't agree more. I grew up in the mid-west and although some states very form one and another don't be miss led into thinking that monster bucks are running around like herds of cattle. You still have to be in an area that has good management and thats not hunted to death. Public land is quite scarce in some of the mid-west sates as well.
I hunted public land in KS a few years ago and was a bit disappointed. My friends were hunting a private farm less than 30 miles away the exact same time seeing tons of bucks in the 110'-120's they were passing up left and right. On public land I was seeing next to nothing and a 110" buck was my best sighting....of course I let him walk, not what I went to KS for. My point to consistently kill big bucks you have to consistently be where there are big bucks! The state alone is no guarantee.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Huntin' Fool

Quote:
My point to consistently kill big bucks you have to consistently be where there are big bucks!
That's all there is to it.

Great deer and hunter none the less.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Retired Admin

Quote:
My point to consistently kill big bucks you have to consistently be where there are big bucks! The state alone is no guarantee.
thats it, then of course you have to make it happen when the opportunity presents itself...which is my problem
Old 12-04-2008, 03:23 PM

I wish I had the Buckmaster here in Tallahassee to hunt the Talquin WMA. I'd like to see him pull a stud out of there.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM

I tell you what.... One thing that irratates the heck outta me is when I hear someone bash a pro. I know there was joke here and nobody meant anything by it but most of the TV folks are just down to earth folks like us and someone takes a cheap shot at em that doesn't know em from Adam. Most of those guys hunt their tales off and work their butts off every day of the off season to get a shot at a booner.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 AM

Incredible monster bucks. Have a blast with Jay's deer hunting videos.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:41 AM
GONetwork Member

i saw that show gtbhuntin he said 200 was his favorite out off more than 50 pope and youngs hes killed.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Killa View Post
I tell you what.... One thing that irratates the heck outta me is when I hear someone bash a pro. I know there was joke here and nobody meant anything by it but most of the TV folks are just down to earth folks like us and someone takes a cheap shot at em that doesn't know em from Adam. Most of those guys hunt their tales off and work their butts off every day of the off season to get a shot at a booner.

yep
Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booner killa View Post
i tell you what.... One thing that irratates the heck outta me is when i hear someone bash a pro. I know there was joke here and nobody meant anything by it but most of the tv folks are just down to earth folks like us and someone takes a cheap shot at em that doesn't know em from adam. Most of those guys hunt their tales off and work their butts off every day of the off season to get a shot at a booner.
ditto
Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
ditto

yep what he said
Old 12-05-2008, 07:27 AM

I just got another e-mail with a pic of Jay's wife Tammi with a stud buck she got with her bow. They said she hadn't got to hunt as much with their new baby, but I guess it only takes that one time of being at the right place at the right time and it looks like she was.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 AM

uhhhh, can someone say tine length. Love those 2's,3's &4's on that freak! That deer looks like an absolute freight train!!!! Way to go Tammi!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Retired Admin

you da man tammi!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Killa View Post
I've never seen but a couple deer that would go 170 Of course none of them got tagged either!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
same exact thing was happening a couple of weeks back when we were in IL at our outfitter. me and bubba were seeing bunches of deer and a good number of bucks. bubba missed one that would have probably grossed in the 60's...I killed my lil one and then the rumbling started. a couple of fellas there on their first hunt mentioned to his guide that we were probably getting "put on them" since we had been there so many times etc etc etc.

it never ends.

I can tell you that unless your in a pen there is NEVER a guarantee that you will even see a buck, much less kill one and then to do it with a bow????

folks these are free ranging whitetails that come and go as they please. they are easier to pattern in the midwest because of the lack of timber, but not that easy...not even close to being easy.

So THAT'S why I didn't kill a deer!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!

I believe both of those young men also saw a TON of deer. One lost his deer and the other took home horns I believe!!

I didn't kill a deer and wasn't a bit disappointed.
Is it to early to book for next year???
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM

thats an absolute hoss of a buck
Old 12-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Retired Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTurn View Post
So THAT'S why I didn't kill a deer!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!

I believe both of those young men also saw a TON of deer. One lost his deer and the other took home horns I believe!!

I didn't kill a deer and wasn't a bit disappointed.
Is it to early to book for next year???

supposedly in the beginning they werent seeing any...but heck you really didnt see much either. then you hunted my stand and didnt see anything much

you gotta sit with me I guess
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
supposedly in the beginning they werent seeing any...but heck you really didnt see much either. then you hunted my stand and didnt see anything much

you gotta sit with me I guess

As long as you keep your shoes on.......
Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM

Those hunting celebs are like me and you. We try to be the best at our jobs or else we loose it. They have to be the best at there job, which is hunting or else the sponsorship and the money are gone. Famous words from my buddy Stan Potts. Who I consider one of the best bowhunters there is.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Those hunting celebs are like me and you. We try to be the best at our jobs or else we loose it. They have to be the best at there job, which is hunting or else the sponsorship and the money are gone. Famous words from my buddy Stan Potts. Who I consider one of the best bowhunters there is.
Exactly.