GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Swap and Sell > Swap and Sell (OLD) > Firearms and Optics Swap or Sell

Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 PM

Default For Sale: Browning Sweet 16

I think someone just moved a post I earlier made regarding my query about a shotgun. Perhaps I had not stated it was for sale. This was my first post on the Guns portion of the web site. I initially asked what one would value the gun at. I was beginning to receive some informative posts and PMs relative to this gun. Then the post vanished.
That was my initial objective. The post is gone and just as I was reading the comments associated with the post, someone commented the post would be gone. Maybe I wasn't in compliance with posting rules since I had not offered the gun for sale and was seeking opinion as to it's broadly accepted value.
Now: I have the following for sale: Browning Sweet 16.
Belgium made. Flat; not the round "knob" at foregrip. No box. Vented Rib on Barrel. Improved cylinder. "Sweet 16" engraved onto receiver. Gold Trigger. Essentially fingerprintless and scratchless, no rust or acid etching from handling. Metal blued and shiny, no dings on stock or metal. Although there is no box, I have kept it in a controlled environment the 30++ years I have owned it. Given to me by my ex-father-in-law. Beautiful blond stock with accented tiger striping. 71S on receiver along with some other numbers. I can't see a scratch on it using 2.5 diopter reading glasses....Nada. It is beyond my comprehension that there could be another gun prettier or in better shape unless it was hidden under the factory vault.
The sales price is $ 2,594.67
What is it's value?
Thank you.
If this description or post doesn't satisfy GON qualification and/or presentation, please advise.
If you can offer substantive comments, I would thank you for your expertise and perspective.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but a decent rule of thumb I've seen is to value Belgium made Brownings 25% more than Japanese models. Your gun is probably beautiful and close to 99%, which means it is worth whatever you can get for it. $2594.67 sounds a LITTLE high, imo. Use that price and then think more along the lines of a day after Christmas sale on Christmas sweaters. With that said, someone will probably jump in to pay your asking price.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 PM

The "tiger striping" on the stock is indicative of the fact that the gun has been refinished, at least the wood, so it does not have the value of an "original" condition sweet 16.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM

OK, thanks for the suggestion.
I really don't know how to appreciate the % evaluation. If there is one in better condition, I would not be able to comprehend it. Since I'm retired and hopefully Obama wont deplete me to Level the playing field, I can eat a few more days before the Christmas sale. But, who knows?
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it and it is well taken. Maybe I can attempt to take some pictures to show it.
Have a great holiday.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:34 PM

You can show it if you want to ,but I own several sweet sixteens (older models) in 95 to 99% condition and you are asking to much. 1500 to 1700 and thats pushing it
Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 AM

Nice picture on the front of CQ Hugh, got any more hobby's?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturer View Post
Nice picture on the front of CQ Hugh, got any more hobby's?
Too many I am addicted to.
That was when I needed to be a "Cured Ham."
To add perspective, I, singlehandedly, erected about 80% of that .
Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Question about the model.

In what catagory does your gun fall under? And do you know the precise model of your gun?

A-5 DU Sweet 16
AUTO-5 SWEET 16
Auto-5 Sweet 16 Miroku

If you can get me this info. I can give you the blue book value of the gun.

Thanks,
Billy
Old 12-07-2008, 06:13 PM

Default sweet 16

just curious, how did you come up with the 67 cents.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy30215 View Post
In what catagory does your gun fall under? And do you know the precise model of your gun?

A-5 DU Sweet 16
AUTO-5 SWEET 16
Auto-5 Sweet 16 Miroku

If you can get me this info. I can give you the blue book value of the gun.

Thanks,
Billy
Billy, thanks for the offer. I have no earthly idea how to determine any of these criteria. I am gun ignorant. If you could direct me as to where to look on the gun to ascertain these nomenclature, I would oblige you.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcop View Post
just curious, how did you come up with the 67 cents.
I calculated the diameter of the planet Uranus in nanometers, and divided by the number of molecules in a teaspoonful of gnat whiskers, multiplied that quotient by the average I.Q. of the people who voted for Obama and added two cents.

It is pretty scientific. I didn't just want to assign an arbitrary figure to the price. Does that give somewhat an approximation to the final figure? Or, am I off by a few cents? It's close, but I am not very good in Math....
Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 PM

"average I.Q. of the people who voted for Obama and added two cents" - you can simplify this figure to x=2 (or .02)

Your shotgun was mfg. in Belgium by FN in 1971
The vent rib barrel adds value ~ $100

Last edited by 30ODD6; 12-07-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-08-2008, 01:54 PM

Default 16

somehow i figured you were from another planet
Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM

Smile Thanks for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ODD6 View Post
"average I.Q. of the people who voted for Obama and added two cents" - you can simplify this figure to x=2 (or .02)

Your shotgun was mfg. in Belgium by FN in 1971
The vent rib barrel adds value ~ $100
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your looking it up and the knowledge as to how.

I'll probably die with it never having shot it. Just doesn't make sense. She is too pretty to use. Now why did I have the obverse philosophy with pretty females? Doesn't make sense either. The conclusion is: that Testosterone is for real......or...Was.
Happy holidays