Baby with colic

My wife and I have a 1 month old baby girl. She has got colic and we have tried everything we know to get her to stop crying and go to sleep. We literally can't put her down without her waking up and crying. Does anyone have any remedies that we can try? We are about at our wits end here.

jason4445

If it is colic then it is a gas, stomach, intestinal distress thing. Pain and discomfort. If she just wants to be held that is something different.

If it is gas, and I think it was called Simecone ( I spelled it wrong but it is pronounced Sigh-meth-e-cone) and is dissolves gas in the stomach - you put one drop on the tongue. My youngest son had this a type of inability to burp easily and one drop and a couple of minutes later the biggest burp in the world would come out.

I had bad colic and my parents related the horror stories of walking me from dusk to dawn for years. I was fed a milk formula and I am now very severely lactose intolerant. I now think I was allergic to the milk formula and that caused the colic. They can do a test for this. Ask your Doctor.

sparky

colic

Jason is on it,he sounds like our girl exactly,you can set her carrier on top of the dryer ,turned on ,of course,and try riding her in the car,it will come to pass,our girl is is 26,good luck,sparky

cav123

My youngest son almost killed me!!!!!!!!!!
We also used the drops talked about earlier we would also lay him stomach down across our knees and gently bounce him and this seemed to help. Wish you luck finding something that helps believe me I feel your PAIN.

adavis

My Hannah (in My avitar) had it to. Late nights!!!! She loved to be layed across our knees and gently bounced and her back patted. I slept many nights with her on my chest. This too shall pass. Hang in there!
Andy

Its just been a rough 3 weeks. You feel terrible when your little girl that you love more than anything in the world is crying and you can't seem to do anything to calm her down. About all we can do now is rock her and hold her, or walk laps around the house holding her and she will eventually get to sleep. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try them. If you see me logged in at all hours of the night, yall know what's goin on! Yall keep us in your prayers!

Jim Baker

Staff member
Its just been a rough 3 weeks. You feel terrible when your little girl that you love more than anything in the world is crying and you can't seem to do anything to calm her down. About all we can do now is rock her and hold her, or walk laps around the house holding her and she will eventually get to sleep. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try them. If you see me logged in at all hours of the night, yall know what's goin on! Yall keep us in your prayers!

After children and grandchildren, I have seen my share of the "colic". Everyone above has given you good advice.
But I will share two things.

Sleepless nights can wear you down as you know by now. You and the wife need to take a few hours each away from the baby where you can rest. This will make it easier on all three of you. The baby can sense your tension and it is a time when tempers can rise.

Secondly, remember "Mama" carried your baby around for nine months, that is hard to give up.

In years to come you will remember this time with fondness and even laughter.

Head East

Sounds like baby could have acid reflux. My 1st and 6th had it very bad. Long...long nights for sure! :banginghe

Elevating the body/head on an incline while they sleep is very beneficial in preventing the acid from getting to their throat. They make a special pillow just for this.

Of coarse, there are different meds you can use. I would be at the pediatricians office asap to get advice on what to use. Mylicon and simethicone are good, but our kids needed something stronger. The med should be given at specific times prior to feeding.

A lot of info on the web. Here is one site that deals with the subject.

http://www.infantreflux.org/

gobblingghost

I have been there with both of my little ones. My lit' girl is now 5 and my lit' boy is 18 months. I remember those nights of no sleep. We tried the drops sometime they worked sometimes they didn't. We changed formula and fixed the problem after about 2 days on the new formula.

kgo

baby with colic

My girl done the samething and a pa told us to try a formula called alimentum, it has small milk protiens and it worked like a miricle she stoped crying the instant she first tasted it . I will tell you that it smells awful but she would drink it like it was koolaid.She is 7 now and my world,they are several brands of that stuff now. Good luck stay patient it will get easier. Congradulations on your girl!

Colonel K0rn

Mylicon drops work wonders, and so does a little shot of Jack (for the 'rents).

What always worked for us is to take a towel/blanket, throw it in the dryer, swaddle the child (they like to be restrained) and rock them. They were in the womb for 9 months, and the restraining of the swaddling comforts them like they were in the womb again.

Our children were breastfed, and that helps the child because they don't have the sensitivities to the formula that a lot of people encounter after giving birth, and putting them on the formula right away. I don't know of any child that's allergic to human milk. If that's not an option, I highly recommend soy formula, since most children don't have allergies to soy.

naildrvr

Mylicon drops work wonders

What always worked for us is to take a towel/blanket, throw it in the dryer, swaddle the child (they like to be restrained) and rock them. They were in the womb for 9 months, and the restraining of the swaddling comforts them like they were in the womb again.

Our children were breastfed, and that helps the child because they don't have the sensitivities to the formula that a lot of people encounter after giving birth, and putting them on the formula right away.

this same thing worked for us too.
everyone has given great advice. sometimes its just trial and error to see what works best. good luck

T

tuffdawg

Both of my children lived off of the mylicon drops when they were small. :) We should have bought stock in the company back then. We just figured out to start putting the drops in the formula bottles at least twice a day and we never had any problems after the first initial flare ups.

Sterlo58

Shot of Jack ( for you ) and mylicon drops for the baby. Been there. This too shall pass.

kudzumotorsports

Both my boys had it bad. One day my mom looks at my wife and says "hey your not burping that kid hard enough" of course you know how well that went over with the wife. Sure enough the wife started to burp the baby just a little harder and seem to work. I look back now ( kids are 8 and 12) and I realize we just tapping instead of a decent burp. anyhow good luck

Walkie Takie

colic ??

we tryed the dryer, road trips , raise bed , virabation bed ,
everthing ??? walking , formula's :huh: :hair:
only thing that worked was
baby swing with good battiers :clap: :huh:
and time
good luck w/t ::; ::; ::; ::; ::;

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
This product works, it is how I survived the summer of 1982

http://www.mylicon.com/;)

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!! This is like gold to a sleep deprived Dad. A few drops of that stuff and warm towel out of the dryer to lay him on and he was good to go!

C

christy

I too know your pain!:cry: Mylicon is GREAT! My son also did well with a warm bath to comfort him. Mainly if she is not bottle fed, everything momma eats baby does too, I had chinese 2nd day home from the hospital and it lasted 2 days in his tummy, biggest mistake of my life. I also found that if the formula was not warm it would make his tummy upset (road trip, no microwave). Good luck

fishbit

Go the Dr. Slocum. He's in Tifton. He is a chiropractor. It may say crazy but it works. I've never been to a chiropractor in my life but keeping my little boy by myself one afternoon I made the decision to take him. Several people we knew swore by it. We were on a prescription for acid-reflux for a couple weeks also. A couple of trips to Dr. slocum, the medicine, or my son just grew out of it....something worked I don't know what but it all was worth it.