GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature

Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 PM

Default Ready for man-eating pythons in Georgia?

As you may know, South Florida is infested with pythons and Florida just had it's first python hunt to try to stem the spread of the non-native invasive species.

The problem is that nobody has any idea of how many pythons are loose in the state and they are extremely hard to spot in the wild. Unless someone spots a 10-12 foot python in their carport or one happens to explode after eating an alligator, they are out of sight and out of mind.

Researchers estimate the number of pythons in the wild in Florida in the thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands.

However, they are becoming a real nuisance in Florida and are capable of reaching 25 feet in length and are known to feed on humans in their native countries.

As the snakes continue to migrate north scientists are concerned they are spreading into Georgia and the SE.

Scientists are conducting an experiment in SC at the Savannah River Ecology Lab to see how the Pythons will fare.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...s_georgia.html
Old 07-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Yep,that's all we need up here in Ga.,some more snakes!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 AM

Yeah, no kidding, especially ones with no natural predators that can get 25 feet long!

I was in Florida last week and it was in the news down there about the snake hunt that had just started in the Everglades to try to eradicate the pythons that are taking over the 'Glades.

It sounded like they were doing some kind of quota hunt kind of like Georgia does for gators.

It sounded to me like they need to have an open season on pythons and pay a bounty for them!

A little bit on the snake hunt:

http://www.justnews.com/news/20088545/detail.html
Old 07-20-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlasher82 View Post
Yeah, no kidding, especially ones with no natural predators that can get 25 feet long!

I was in Florida last week and it was in the news down there about the snake hunt that had just started in the Everglades to try to eradicate the pythons that are taking over the 'Glades.

It sounded like they were doing some kind of quota hunt kind of like Georgia does for gators.

It sounded to me like they need to have an open season on pythons and pay a bounty for them!
A little bit on the snake hunt:

http://www.justnews.com/news/20088545/detail.html
I agree, An open season all year with a bounty ought to help stem the tide, Probably never get them all but it will help.

I have often wondered why they let such invasice species in the US to start with.

South Florida is being over ran with all kinds of crap they have allowed in.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM

Panthers eat pythons!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 PM

That'll put some excitement back into frog gigging & aligator hunting.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 PM

For the folks who haven't seen what happens when a 13 foot python tries to swallow a live 6 foot gator:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...on-gator_x.htm
Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey gizzard View Post
Panthers eat pythons!!!
The pythons are eating bobcats and deer, let's hope the panthers are luckier.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 PM

They let people bring the exotics in for zoos and shows, etc and they escaped, partly from poor keeping and partly from hurricanes and such. I just hope they stay in south Florida.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Freelance Moderator

I`ll kill every one I come across.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
useless thread starter

What you take for that runt puppy Nic ?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
redneckcamo

them bigguns aughta make some serious snake steaks !!!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Freelance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagrangedave View Post
What you take for that runt puppy Nic ?

My boat, maybe...

My truck, possibly...

The farm, depends...

My single shot rifles, Tabor Blades, `hawks, pocketwatch, and that puppy....ain`t no way!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Maybe those snakes will all just go down to South Beach, Miami, Florida. Now that woould be a hoot to see.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 PM
GONetwork Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlasher82 View Post
For the folks who haven't seen what happens when a 13 foot python tries to swallow a live 6 foot gator:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...on-gator_x.htm
WOW!

Several pairs of boots and belts just laying there.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta-ton-ka chips View Post
WOW!

Several pairs of boots and belts just laying there.
They say python skins are bringing a premium price for making those kinds of items. Just saying...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 AM

I bet tomboyboots could put a hurtin onem like she does those rattlers.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 AM

hadn't heard much from her lately..

Hey Girl, Watch out fer'em.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM

I think it would be fun to help eradicate them, hunting from airboats.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain413 View Post
I think it would be fun to help eradicate them, hunting from airboats.
hmmmmmm
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 PM

They would prove interesting, I wonder if they are good to eat? It would be nice to get about four or five hides, make a snake skin jacket.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 AM

It is doubtful that Burmese Pythons can survive in GA. Florida is just trying to get the couple billion in funds to solve the problem that THEY let get out of hand. They had a ferel animal that was protected by law because of its location and did nothing for 20 years. Now they are feeding the media frenzy to capitalize on people's fear of snakes by using fraudulant terms such as "Man Eating".

Most Burms only get to around 12' or so which is not as large as it sounds. They are also very susceptible to respiratory infections which makes it unlikely they can survive a GA winter.

And here is the kicker. They keep blaming irresponsible pet owners releasing their animals. But DNA testing on the ones they have captured shows that they all came from a single original group that escaped from a GOVERNMENT funded research facility during one of the hurricanes.

Now that being said, I have captured several Burms in the Atlanta area that were escaped pets. Some people should not keep a pet rock, much less an exotic animal. But I have never found one brumating in north GA to indicate it could fare the winter.

Exotic Pet owners and Firearm owners face alot of the same media bias, misinformation, and constant legislative battles. Being on both fronts, it seems like all I do is call representatives.

B W Smith
Animal South
www.animalsouth.com
Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

Last year there was an 8 foot one that escaped in Avondale Estates, where my mother lives.

Took over a 12 ga. for each door until it was found (and it was).
Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

A burmese python might be able to survive a year or two in extreme south Georgia......maybe. I doubt if they could do well enough to proliferate and become a real issue in Georgia. As BW said, they are very susceptible to RI. The first good solid frost would probably do them in....not immediately, it would take a month or so for them to die, but it would very likely kill them.

South Florida is a different story.

Man-eater is, as BW pointed out, a fraudulent moniker....a very large python (a, 18 footer or better) might be able to actually eat a very small woman or a child, but not a normal sized man. Make no mistake, though....a large Burmese python is absolutely capable of killing a man. I have kept and worked with some of the most venomous snakes on the planet, the big constrictors scare me much more than any mamba, cobra, taipan, or other fast elapid. The venomous snake will bite you and release....you can secure it, grab up your AV and go to the ER and probably survive. If you get wrapped up by a 200 lb python and you are alone, you are in serious jeapordy. You probably will not be able to get loose by yourself. The idea that they have lots of little tiny teeth is erroneous. They have lots of 1/2" or longer recurved needle-sharp teeth...they work like a couple of hundred fish hooks.

A big python is nothing to fool around with.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germag View Post
Man-eater is, as BW pointed out, a fraudulent moniker....a very large python (a, 18 footer or better) might be able to actually eat a very small woman or a child, but not a normal sized man. Make no mistake, though....a large Burmese python is absolutely capable of killing a man. I have kept and worked with some of the most venomous snakes on the planet, the big constrictors scare me much more than any mamba, cobra, taipan, or other fast elapid. The venomous snake will bite you and release....you can secure it, grab up your AV and go to the ER and probably survive. If you get wrapped up by a 200 lb python and you are alone, you are in serious jeapordy. You probably will not be able to get loose by yourself. The idea that they have lots of little tiny teeth is erroneous. They have lots of 1/2" or longer recurved needle-sharp teeth...they work like a couple of hundred fish hooks.

A big python is nothing to fool around with.
Just to add to this...from what I've read and seen, Burmese pythons are much more docile than Reticulated pythons. I've had a Burmese for 8 years now and other than being "nippy" (that's what the pet store guy called it when I bought it) when I first bought her due to not having been handled, I've never had any problems. Don't take me to mean that pythons are like dogs and come to love and know their owner...but the Burmese that are in captivity and handled regularly seldom attack. All that I've read about Reticulated pythons says that they're much more aggressive by nature...not to mention they get a good deal larger.

Regardless of the breed though...snakes aren't pets for everybody. They're unpredictable and not the smartest...so potentially very dangerous. If you're smart about keeping them (some might say that's an oxymoron) and smart with how you handle them, it's all good.