GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 08-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Default Daniel Defense on Hard Times

This really sucks. Daniel Defense makes one of the best ARs out there, and they're experiencing contraction.

I'd been putting off upgrading my RIS, but I may have to go ahead and get crackin'.

http://savannahnow.com//node/759878
Old 08-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Sorry to hear this, but if he is "on top of things", Marty is probably taking the right actions to come out stronger than the "big guys" who are generally slower to adjust to market changes.

Here's hoping that fluctuations stabilize quickly for that market.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:00 PM

I'm just disappointed to see this. Quality AR makers are few and far between, and a quiet voice among the roar of low-tier manufacturers.

To see this story totally bums me out.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Sounds like when the buying craze was up, folks like DD and others hired additional employees and went into overdrive. Now that it's died back down, they've got more employees than they need.

I've got a DD M4 and can't recommend them enough. An outstanding carbine for the price.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Daniel Defense rifles are overpriced.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM

"Quality" or "boutique" AR's (put loosely) have gone so high in price it amazes me how many people blow their hard earned money on them.

2 Bushmasters or DPMS's or 1 Daniel Defense. The choice is easy for me. I prefer 1 in each hand
Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 PM

You tell me where I can get a DPMS or a Bushmaster, with the same features for this price, and I'll buy one.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...tion&key=XV-M4

I was under the impression that all AR-15s were created equal. They're not.

DPMS and Bushmaster are so far from meeting mil-spec as to almost be laughable.

My Bushmaster needed fixing straight out of the box.

$900+ for a Bushmaster
$1100+ for a DD.

Considering the DD doesn't need "fixed" out of the box, for a measly $200 more doesn't really show me how buying a DD would allow you to get a DPMS for each hand.

It really boils down to the "why" we get what we choose to get.

My Bushmaster was $1400, and I'd trade it for the DDXV in the blink of an eye. Instantaneously.

Daniel Defense rifles are solid, built here in Georgia, and are a top-tier company.

Buying DD allows one to:

1) Get as high-quality a weapon as possible
2) Give your hard earned cash to Georgia boys.

After having problematic issues with low-tier blasters, I will henceforth be shelling out cash for quality.

Don't even get me started on out-of-spec rail systems.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpauljones View Post

Overpriced, or are you not able to afford a top quaility rifle?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

Whatever!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRYCNINE View Post
Overpriced, or are you not able to afford a top quaility rifle?
Probably the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanjohn View Post
"Quality" or "boutique" AR's (put loosely) have gone so high in price it amazes me how many people blow their hard earned money on them.

2 Bushmasters or DPMS's or 1 Daniel Defense. The choice is easy for me. I prefer 1 in each hand
Can you get two Bushmasters or DPMS rifles for $999.00? If you can please back it up with proof.

People wouldn't "blow" their money on them if they didn't want to. Some people want quaility and some want ???.....YMMV.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 PM

heh, that will leave a mark!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 PM

I looked at taking my Armalite and decking it out very similar to how the DD came straight out of the box. When I priced out a Daniel Defense 12.0 FSP rail (not some cheapie $100 piece of junk, thank you) plus the MagPul stock, VFG, BUIS and all, added to the price of an Armalite M4, I came out better buying a DD.

Plus, I had the added benefit of supporting a Georgia company. Like folks said, they're top tier. For instance, they just received the contract to provide quad rails and other accessories for all the British Military SA85's. I don't see DPMS and Bushmaster getting contracts like that.

I can buy 2 Impalas or 1 Corvette.............hard decision.............

I've used M16's and AR variants my entire adult life; first as a US Marine, then as a SWAT Officer, and now as a competitor and owner/operator of a Firearms/Tactics Training School. I'm an Armorer and Small Arms Instructor through the USMC, Georgia POST and the Feds. I've seen just about every make/model/variant of AR/M16 come through my doors. I know what works and what doesn't. I've regretted a lot of things in my life, but plunking down the money on my DD M4 ain't one of 'em!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM

The M4 is one of the sexiest guns I've ever seen.

I seriously like how the rail extension past the FSB allows for mounting a light at 12:00, without obstructing the sight.

I absolutely need to get an Omega like, yesterday.

Last edited by TheLandlord; 08-02-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 PM

Here's pics of mine. Guess I screwed up by getting an Aimpoint Micro T1 in a GG&G mount. I could have bought 8 or 10 Airsoft copies of an Aimpoint instead.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 AM

Gorgeous weapon, good sir.

How do you like the T-1?

I'm currently debating the T-1 and the Trijicon RMR.

Everyone's nudging me in the direction of the T-1. I'm being terribly, terribly stubborn. Trijicon was my first "real" optic. I had an RX01 w/triangle reticule years ago, and loved it. I had another RX01, that I sold to get an RMR, but everyone I've talked to has recommended the T-1.

Then again, instead of the T-1, I could just get a Olympic Arms.

Did you get the T-1 locally?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshoot View Post
Here's pics of mine. Guess I screwed up by getting an Aimpoint Micro T1 in a GG&G mount. I could have bought 8 or 10 Airsoft copies of an Aimpoint instead.
Nice setup!

I think you're correct..............you could have saved a lot if you would've went with the airsoft junk!

Just to I'll leave this Daniel Defense goodness for the haters.

Last edited by STRYCNINE; 08-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM

DD offers great guns are fair prices if I had the coin I would own one. I will own one before the end of the year. Allready have a fund started.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM

TheLandlord, so far I really like the T1. I wanted something small, rugged and reliable, so this fit the bill. The only reason I was steering away from them was I didn't like the available mounts and the lack of ability to mount scope covers on it. The GG&G mount solved both those problems nicely. I wouldn't have bought the T1 if it were not for the GG&G mount.

The Trijicons are nice, as well. I've never owned one, but I've had students come through with 'em. No problems.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM

Roger that.

For me it's a doggone tough call either way.

I think the T-1's the cat's pajamas.

I think the RMR is the cat's pajamas.

I've never had any Aimpoint stuff, but I've used Trijicon and EOTech in the past.

I'm trying to remain patient, as both seem to have their appeal. The Trijicon's appeal is, if resupply is a problem, the lack of battery-power ensures the longevity. The downside is the potential for reticule washout, and a 9-MOA dot.

The Aimpoint is very appealing for the battery life measured in years, 4-MOA dot, ruggedness, and available mounts.

Again, a tough call for yours truly.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
No, Not so much.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM

You get what you pay for!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post

For me it's a doggone tough call either way.

I think the T-1's the cat's pajamas.

I think the RMR is the cat's pajamas.
Can't comment on the specific models (though I will on a T-1 soon). Here is my take.

I like Trijicon, especially the low power Accupoints. I like the TA11s alot too, among others.

However, when my CompM broke, I called Aimpoint, they were VERY nice and fixed it free, no questions.

Trijicon refused to work on my Tri-Power, even though others had similar documented problems. I mentioned this to the rep and the head of customer service flat told me no. He would not discuss it and I was professional. Trij rep felt bad and offered my choice of sights at dealer cost, but I declined. No need throwing good money after bad. Trijicons CS left a poor taste in my mouth. That being said I have a TA01 and 1-4 Accupoint mounted right now and like them both. I just know if they break then more than likely I am out. I buy used so that I know Trijicon will not profit from me.

I will use Trijicon again in the future, but I KNOW I will support Aimpoint. They actually stand behind their products and don't blame their lack of quality (Tri-Power)on the customer.

And to stay on topic, I read the layoff was for one week only. I think DD will be around for quite awhile.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM

The T1's battery life comes out to 5yrs, 8mths and a couple of weeks. Gotta admit though, the "never runs out" of the Trijicon is better!

I've been well-pleased with the various Aimpoints I've owned over the years. I've got a CompM2 I've had mounted on a Springfield SOCOM-16 since they first came out. I've run beaucoups rounds through it, and beat the crap out of the entire system. Works like a champ.

I can't actually remember any of students ever having problems with Aimpoints or Trijicons, outside of the early model TriPowers. They've all been rugged and reliable.

I can't say the same thing, however, about Eotechs.

Not that I'm advocating it as a viable option to the T1 or the RMR, but thought I'd throw this personal info out. I won a Burris FastFire at a comp a few years ago. I had recently bought a Benelli M2 Tactical and mounted a Mesa Tactical picatinny rail/sidesaddle combo on it. I went ahead and threw the FastFire on top to see how it would work. I've shot the crap out of it, drug it around, loaned it to a buddy for a week of deerhunting in Ohio (freezing rain and snow all week), loaned it to another buddy for a week of FBI Firearms Instructor School in Birmingham AL, and it's never failed once. It's held it's zero the entire time I've had it and never went down. It's the lowest-priced red dot on the market right now that I'll actually endorse through personal experience.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshoot View Post

I can't actually remember any of students ever having problems with Aimpoints or Trijicons, outside of the early model TriPowers.
How did you know?

I have a couple of buddies running the Burris Fastfires or clones and they love theirs too.

cmshoot, PM sent regarding a mutual friend and upcoming training.