GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Default Gold in georgia

There is no more gold in georgia ,Some fellow Gon members informed me of that yesturday so there will not be any more post on this subject from me, All i was trying to do was post a few history facts and some old treasure cache storys, But you always have people that step over the line so if any one has any questions about georgia"s history , Buried treasure, and Caches Just PM me It is not worth posting the info publically..

Last edited by birdman1; 09-25-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

Uh........yeah. Have a friend...a darn lucky friend who lives on and owns about 2,000 feet frontage on Dukes Creek outside of Cleveland in the Dalhonega gold belt. He has a big pump setup and can suck out the creek bottom anytime he wants. He has several nuggets come out of there in the $5,000 range. That's not gold-weight value, but jewelery class value. Folks make nugget necklaces out of them. And he has vials and vials of flakes. Darn lucky guy....and a GOOD friend !
Old 09-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Location: North of Canton, South of Blue Ridge, East of Dalton and West of Gainesville, Middle of Nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman1 View Post
There is no more gold in georgia ,Some fellow Gon members informed me of that yesturday so there will not be any more post on this subject from me..

Now get you a shovel and go find it....
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Location: North of Canton, South of Blue Ridge, East of Dalton and West of Gainesville, Middle of Nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelia_Hiker View Post
Uh........yeah. Have a friend...a darn lucky friend who lives on and owns about 2,000 feet frontage on Dukes Creek outside of Cleveland in the Dalhonega gold belt. He has a big pump setup and can suck out the creek bottom anytime he wants. He has several nuggets come out of there in the $5,000 range. That's not gold-weight value, but jewelery class value. Folks make nugget necklaces out of them. And he has vials and vials of flakes. Darn lucky guy....and a GOOD friend !
I know several folks that were, and still are, into dredging creek bottoms. That is one of the main problems is finding landowners that will let them "suck out" the bottom of their creek. It's pretty easy to get permission to pan but a dredge will sure get the job done quicker and usually more thoroughly.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Default Smith House sits on biggest vein

I guess its true than that the Smith House sits on the biggest vein in Ga. It's just that the city won't let them mine it.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM

Default What and where is the Smith house?

Don't people who look for it find gold in Georgia all the time? I don't mean strike it rich, but flakes and small nuggets like an earlier poster said? I think it would be cool to try.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contender* View Post

Now get you a shovel and go find it....
Just PM me feller"s if you have any intrest in georgia"s history on the civil war and buried treasure, cache"s , And old folk lore stories i have a ton"s of books and a lot of years of research in these subjects we could learn alot together about our history by just sharing stories, And yes there is enough gold left in georgia to fill fort knox 1000 time over, I would bet there is only a small % of gold and gems have been found in georgia (Find the black sand in those creeks). Good day to everyone.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:38 PM

here's an idea......how about continuing to share these facts/stories with us....thats what this forum is for....as with any open forum , you have to let the idiots that are here have their say also....but dont let that stop you from sharing this type of stuff with us.....and if the peanut gallery bothers ya, just shrug your shoulders, and tell them to pack sand......

I want to hear these stories.....
Old 09-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Freelance Moderator

Feel free to go ahead and post your stories. I like to hear about history too. And if anybody else gives you a hard time, send me a PM about it.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

widest gold belt in ga runs threw paulding .... gold still in ga
Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 PM

So... if you find black sand- say near a creek or even in a place several hundred yards from a creek, where black sand runs every time it rains, what do you do next?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcavak Duck View Post
So... if you find black sand- say near a creek or even in a place several hundred yards from a creek, where black sand runs every time it rains, what do you do next?
Black sand, is considered heavy- when you have black sand- the fine/small/powdery black, your in the neighborhood of the "level" you would find gold dust and flake - possibly small nuggets, but mostly "flour gold".

Gold is heavy, and will go deep- black sand is heavier than most of your other substrates and will go deep as well- so, black sand and flour gold are brothers.

When panning, you junk out all the rest of the substrates- the rocks, the pebbles, the sand...and if your in the right, all you`ll have left is black sand and hopefully....gold.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocz2u View Post
widest gold belt in ga runs threw paulding .... gold still in ga
They used to say it went through Helen- behind the "A" club, under the bridge, up under Pauls, and through that back valley onto Nacoochee- Theres flour gold anywhere you look through there-

I laughed......until I saw the belt-map, those old miners knew exactly where it was. Theres a mine on the north end, one on the side, and more than 3 on the end...yet history "says" each mine was not profitable after a time...
funny how the owners of those mines decendants are some of the richest in the county.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Feel free to go ahead and post your stories. I like to hear about history too. And if anybody else gives you a hard time, send me a PM about it.
Thanks nicodemus i have a few interesting storys i will post tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
here's an idea......how about continuing to share these facts/stories with us....thats what this forum is for....as with any open forum , you have to let the idiots that are here have their say also....but dont let that stop you from sharing this type of stuff with us.....and if the peanut gallery bothers ya, just shrug your shoulders, and tell them to pack sand......

I want to hear these stories.....
Thanks i will post a few tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 PM

Now you hit a vain with me. Ga has some of the finest gold in america There is a lot of gold in ga. I live two miles from the worlds finest gold ever found. and there is still gold in there.
I pan in a lot of creeks in paulding county and upper douglas county and i will tell you im not going broke looking for gold. There is more gold in the ground today in ga than all the miners took. so i will give anybody that ask to get a gold pan find a creek and look. If you take a line from villa rica ga to dalonaga follow the line and you will find gold. If you can get some creeks and a pan look for the clay layer dig right above the clay layer. there is gold every where go get it.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BIGBUCK View Post
Now you hit a vain with me. Ga has some of the finest gold in america There is a lot of gold in ga. I live two miles from the worlds finest gold ever found. and there is still gold in there.
I pan in a lot of creeks in paulding county and upper douglas county and i will tell you im not going broke looking for gold. There is more gold in the ground today in ga than all the miners took. so i will give anybody that ask to get a gold pan find a creek and look. If you take a line from villa rica ga to dalonaga follow the line and you will find gold. If you can get some creeks and a pan look for the clay layer dig right above the clay layer. there is gold every where go get it.
That is some interesting reading there, This is what we need to do keep posting facts,
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
X2,A few things we Moderators will not put up with and this is one of them!Like Nick,I like stories and history too.Fact some years ago I got into the gold panning pretty good.Bought a dredge and worked some creeks up around and in the gold belt.Had some of the best fun in my life with the family.Kids were small and just the correct age to enjoy the creeks and rivers.Weather is cool and the water is cool also.Found some gold,nothing to write home about but enough to make it interesting too.Like the signs up there say..."there's gold in them thar hills"!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:23 PM

I started panning for gold about 4 months ago and let me tell you that gold fever is real! My friend showed me a nugget that weighs about an ounce and a half that he found around lake allatoona and I got hooked! I have only found one small nugget so far but have found alot of dust and flakes. It is something that is good to do when it is not hunting season.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:21 PM

Do yall think there is Gold around Allatoona Creek around Stilesboro/Hadaway/Mars Hill roads?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM

fletch if it where i think you are talking about yes yes yes all around the lake area you can find good gold if you can get on the right place most will not let you on the land up there or they turned me down.but try and good luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Look for the black sand. Check to see if there is some public land around there and see about obtaining a permit thru the U.S forestery services There is a site where you can get permits i will see if i can find it and post it later.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM

Family has property on the creek in that general area. My uncle used to have one of those conveyor belt gold panning thingy's out there, never found much that I know of.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch_W View Post
Do yall think there is Gold around Allatoona Creek around Stilesboro/Hadaway/Mars Hill roads?
There is an old goldmine around Sixes Road that is under water now.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 PM

fletch I would love to get with you some time and if we could go play up there and see what is there. and if any is found you can have it all. But i love to see people start in this hobbies great fun just it is some times a lot of work lol.