Do deer eat Rye Grass?

Just 1 More

Just curious.. I overseeded some dead plots and used a mix with rye grass in it that the guy at the feed/seed store made for me. Since I wasn't discing it in,, he said to use smaller seeds and mixed up a few for me.. some brassicas and rye,, but i'm sure it's to late for the brassicas and the rye should at least come up, but will the deer eat it? Oh, I did this 2 weeks ago

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I would say yes since our club pres has a great field of it and they are in it every day and night

gadeerwoman

Yep. It's not the greatest from a nutritional standpoint but they eat it readily. Good for those hard to grow anything spots.

Just 1 More

Thanks for making me feel better.. At least i know the deer will have something to eat in my barren pine plantation until the clover, delar burnett, sanfoin trefoil and other things get growing in the spring

hunterb

i hunted public land in NC and they planted rye every yr for the deer, killed a few bucks on the approaches to these fields late in the season when the acorns were gone

DDHUNT

Banned
Will eat "ryegrass", if nothing else around. A bad seed to plant if you are serious about deer management. Alot of better things out there. DDH

Just 1 More

DDHUNT said:
Will eat "ryegrass", if nothing else around. A bad seed to plant if you are serious about deer management. Alot of better things out there. DDH

And what would you suggest this late in the season?

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had a plot that first year didnt take well in spots so late in the year I put in rye and they ate it very well. The next year I turned it over, used the rye to help the soild and re did the seeding which worked out great. I dont think they like it when it gets tall and older as it would be dry, but when fresh and green they are good to go.

gadeerwoman

If you plant annual ryegrass, not perennial and mow it before it goes to seed you won't have a reseeding problem.

Latest posts