GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Default Remington 750 vs. Browning BAR

How does the Remington 750 compare to the Browning BAR? Is there another semi-auto to look at?
Just wondering.
Thanks Tom
Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

I have no experience with the newer Remington 750. I can tell you that a comparison between the older 742 and 7400 models and the browning BAR is not really a fair comparison. The BAR (IMHO) is a far superior rifle.....but then again, it's a more expensive rifle too.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Are we talking about the awesome Belgian made brownings or the newer japanese made ones? Because you can't compare those 2 rifles.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8765 View Post
Are we talking about the awesome Belgian made brownings or the newer japanese made ones? Because you can't compare those 2 rifles.
That may be true....but in my opinion (and it's only my opinion) they are probably both superior to the older Remingtons. I don't know anything about the 750s, though.

The only BARs I've had any experience with are Belgian Brownings and are excellent rifles.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:58 PM

BARs are hard to beat. Belgian BARs were IMO one of the if not the best semi-auto hunting rifle ever built. I want one, but not one made in Japan.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:00 PM

I am almost certain that no Browning BAR centerfire rifle has ever been made in Japan. In 1977, they started assembling them in Portugal but the parts were still made in Belgium as they are today. There are Browning trademarked guns made in Japan but I don't think the BAR ever has and is not today.

Here is what Browning has to say on the matter of the location of the manufacture of their firearms.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?ID=90

I have had one of the BARs "made in Belgum assembled in Portugal" since the 1980's and have enjoyed many a hunt with it. No malfunctions of any kind. I would say it is probably as accurate as the average factory bolt action shooting factory ammo. I don't think you will go wrong with one if you want an autoloader. I am talking about what is today called the "safari" model. I have no experience with the "shortrac/longtrac".
Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJY66 View Post
I am almost certain that no Browning BAR centerfire rifle has ever been made in Japan. In 1977, they started assembling them in Portugal but the parts were still made in Belgium as they are today. There are Browning trademarked guns made in Japan but I don't think the BAR ever has and is not today.

Here is what Browning has to say on the matter of the location of the manufacture of their firearms.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?ID=90

I have had one of the BARs "made in Belgum assembled in Portugal" since the 1980's and have enjoyed many a hunt with it. No malfunctions of any kind. I would say it is probably as accurate as the average factory bolt action shooting factory ammo. I don't think you will go wrong with one if you want an autoloader. I am talking about what is today called the "safari" model. I have no experience with the "shortrac/longtrac".
The ones I've shot were surprisingly accurate.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 PM

I just bought a new one yesterday and it's made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

To answer your question about others to consider, there's always the Benelli R1......
Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germag View Post
To answer your question about others to consider, there's always the Benelli R1......
The Benelli is not a serious consideration in my opinion as it has severe accuracy issues........at least the 3 I have experience with.

The BAR's regardless of lineage are fine firearms.

Bruz
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Why is it that Semi's are supposed to be less accurate than a bolt action?? Is it just related to the action movement?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 PM

In 1976 or 1977 BARs production went to Japan, where they are made now I do not know. I do know that the BLRs are still made in Japan that is why I said that. No matter where they are made they are still fine rifles. I just have a very hard time buying foreign made rifles.....call me old fashioned.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8765 View Post
In 1976 or 1977 BARs production went to Japan, where they are made now I do not know. I do know that the BLRs are still made in Japan that is why I said that. No matter where they are made they are still fine rifles. I just have a very hard time buying foreign made rifles.....call me old fashioned.
You do realize the Belgium is "foreign" also.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
You do realize the Belgium is "foreign" also.
Beat me to it.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM

Yeah but there is something to be said of a fine Belgian made browning compared to one made in Japan. Kinda like the difference in a Nissan and a Mercedes if you get my drift. I did'nt say I owned one either...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM

You won't own a Browning BAR centerfire rifle made in Japan either because it does not exist. If that is all that is holding you back go out and buy one tomorrow....new or used.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

I have an old Remington 742 chambered in 6mm remington that is very accurate and dependable.... but finding one in 6mm is a very rare thing. The Rem auto's got a bad rap for years, mostly because the owners did not keep them cleaned and lubed properly.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Can't beat the BAR. I've got 2 early model BAR's, in 7mm and 30-06. Both are accurate with little recoil.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 PM

If Browning BLRs are made in Japan by Miroku, then why is it so hard to believe that in one point in time BARs were made in Japan. Obviously Browning does'nt hold anything against a Japanese rifle.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM

"The BAR rifle was initially produced totally in Belgium and then assembly was transferred to Portugal in the early 1970s. This was history making for Browning, as the BAR was the first Browning firearm made in Belgium with assembly at an all new Browning plant in Viana, Portugal.

Today, the Portugal factory has grown to be a major component of the Browning manufacturing system and is where the BAR continues to be assembled today, as well as the 12 and 20 gauge Gold and Silver autoloading shotguns and limited runs of the Hi-Power pistol. Contrary to what some have said, the BAR has always been made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal from the beginning."

http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...ifle695-1.html
Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 PM

I have 4 and they all say the same thing on the barrels.
2 Safari IIs - 1990s
1 Long Track - 2008
1 Short Track - 2009
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 PM

BamaBart,

How do the Long and Short trac models compare to the Safari as far as performance, quality, etc? I know they are lighter but have never looked one over too closely. Which do you like best?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 PM

The Long and Short tracks have a plastic trigger guard and the reciever is made from aircraft aluminum.
The Safaris are all metal and heavier.
I have the Boss on the Safaris.
Accuracy is a little better with the Boss but they all shoot great.
My Long and Short Track are MOBU.
I like the Short Track the best.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 PM

To answer the question about the 750, it is basically a refined 7400. They are good rifles but are made to light to handle magnum calibers. The BARs are built like tanks and are better suited for this task.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 AM

my opinion is this remington makes good firearms and so do browning now i own a 7400 carbine 3006 a browning bar light stacker in 270 a winchester in 308 and a ruger mini 14 in 223 they all shot well and will put them up to any bolt gun in accuracy in hunting situations the only thing that i have found is that they are finicky on ammo the winchester power point i have had feeding problems due to the long lead tip but federal and remington pointed soft point and with a good ballistic tip have had no feeding problems and will some day i will own a bar in 300 win mag with a boss but only cause remington dont chamber the 300 but have been looking at the 750 in 35 but ammo seem kinda hard to find but i dont think you can go wrong with either buy what you can afford and feels good to you