GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 12-21-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Deer feeders and nocturnal feeding habits??

I've read that research shows deer will become increasing nocturnal if they are using feeders.

Are there an good theories to explain this behavior?

TD
Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Because they dont hear that loud BOOM!!! at night when they are eating.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:08 PM

Deer are not "truely nocturnal". They seldom eat/travel all night long. They are most active during the periods say 2 hours before and after sunset and sunrise.
Deer can learn, adapt, change and human pressure in the form of sport hunting is what drives them to "go nocturnal".
If you have a baited area and hunt it hard for days, weeks, seasons on end, you can "teach" the deer to avoid that area during certain times - they pattern you.
There is a feeder out called Nocturnal Nightmare, and it "teaches" the deer to feed at it during day time hours.
Deer can learn and you get to be the teacher - you have to have positive reinforcement for the deer for them to eat and continue to eat at a time and place you want them to. Deer can also learn through negative reinforcement (human scent, non natural sights and sounds, and shooting/killing) to avoid certain areas at certain times.

Nocturnal Nightmare
Hearing the Hounds chase Mr. and Mrs. Whitetail in the SC swamps PRICELESS

You cant scare me, Iv got children

Todays mighty oak is yesterdays nut that held it's ground

Last edited by CPiper; 12-21-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:47 PM

Folks on here will swear up and down that it will to support their anti-baiting tactics. Sorry, but................................
(and I/ve got more to boot!!)
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2005, 06:21 PM

After engaging in the baiting topic and hearing all the scare tactics of the anti baiting crowd... I decided to do a little research of my own.. I put up a solar activated feeder and a camera so I can get an idea of what is using the feeder and when.. I'll let you know what I find in the next few weeks... but then... according to some one here... all my deer will be dead from disease so there won't be anything on the cameras to report.

And yes,, the feeder is more than 200 yards and out of line of sight from any stand or hunted area.(freakin shame I even had to post that )
Old 12-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Banned

I am not for baiting but deer generally need to feed every six hours. I think that is right please correct me if I am wrong, I am no expert in deer biology. I have heard the same thing about feeders and such. I won't bait/feed even if they pass the ammendment, which I hope they don't.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Founder - Gone but not forgotten.

When I had live Deer (for study) --- all would feed at least twice during daylight period and at least twice during night time. --- Hot -- Cold -- Wet or Dry -- they eat and breed when they want.

Each feeding period is followed by chewing their Cud.

Friends - Don't Let Friends Post Recklessly.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
HT2

Lightbulb Tree.......

I don't really know if all will turn nocturnal, but I know when our feeders are out (during the off season, of course), the majority of the deer on Camera are the mature bucks........But, I think that is just them (The mature buck) doin' what they do.......I think as they get older and smarter they just know that time of night is the safest with no risk of any thing goin' wrong for them.......

The pics we've gotten during the day are of does and younger bucks.......

I don't think it turns them all into being Nocturnal though......
Old 12-21-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedawg
I've read that research shows deer will become increasing nocturnal if they are using feeders.

Are there an good theories to explain this behavior?

TD
Feeders placed where they can be accessed by trucks,scent contamination from filling the feeder & an easy meal waiting on them are part of the reasons for nocturnal activity.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull0ne
Feeders placed where they can be accessed by trucks,scent contamination from filling the feeder & an easy meal waiting on them are part of the reasons for nocturnal activity.
I agree with the vehicle activity but disagree with the Predatory reasoning .. Predators feed and hunt mostly at night therefore: that would make the deer non-nocturnal based on that theory
Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 PM
HT2

Lightbulb Bull.......

Quote:
For that reason right there is why we moved our feeders periodically........I think if you leave 'em in the same place all the time, the whole nocturnal idea does come into play........
Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More
I agree with the vehicle activity but disagree with the Predatory reasoning .. Predators feed and hunt mostly at night therefore: that would make the deer non-nocturnal based on that theory
I was refering to an easy meal for the deer......if they have to forage it takes much longer,they can ''top off the tank'' on the way to the bed in the morning if they're pressured.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:21 PM

Well, from you guys have posted I guess it's more myth than fact. I was reading a few back issues of GON last night and I saw some data that suggested feeders would make your deer nocturnal. I only have food plots, but I would install feeders in a second if my property was closer.

TD
Old 12-21-2005, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I was refering to an easy meal for the deer......if they have to forage it takes much longer,they can ''top off the tank'' on the way to the bed in the morning if they're pressured.
Oh.. ok... I understand now,,, I was thinking something else.. Sorry
Old 12-21-2005, 10:25 PM

And another thing....
Spincast type feeders are only going to put out a small amount compared to what a deers intake needs are.. it will be nothing more than an obligatory stop on their daily feed routs..
I plan on putting some good high pro feed in mine in the off season.. and I know what little I can put out will not do a lot of good but I figure anything is better than nothing