GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk

Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 PM

Default 20 Gauge Turkey Loads?

Santa(Me) brought me a nice new Remington 870 20 gauge and I want to hunt turkeys with it this year.
I have always used Winchester or Remingtons in my 12ga but I am not sure about this 20ga.

I have a hard time spending $2-4 bucks per shell but if I had to...

What are you using in your 20 to get the turkeys?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm just using Winchester Supremes 4 or 5 shot and I'm 2 for 3 and the one I lost was over 50 yards away
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 PM

I am gonna try fed hw #7'S.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM

In my testing if you want a gun that will a turkey at 40 with a 20 gauge Lead is Dead.. I have tested the Rem, Win and Fed (pre FC wad) lead shells and none gave me a pattern that I would feel comfortable with at 40 let alone a margin for error. If you want a 30 yard gun lead will work, but will only produce adequate patterns to 35.

If you want a gun that is good to 40 with a buffer you are going to have to move to HTL loads. H13 6s have suffered in recent years but their waterfowl load produces a quality 40 yard pattern. The new Heavyweight Fed 7s are producing good patterns. Their are always Nitros as well.

In my identical gun I have had best luck with the Pure Gold 555 and the Tru Glo SSX 550.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Banned

Are Nitros really worth the money? I just find a hard time swallowing $6 a shell!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM

All this talk has me thinking about getting a 20ga for turkeys, if you had to pick a gun what would you get?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhancedsvt View Post
Are Nitros really worth the money? I just find a hard time swallowing $6 a shell!

Yes, they are worth the money..
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM

Nitros essentially leave for no comparison of ammo, they are that good.. Buy yourself a Pure Gold 555 or 570 or Tru Glo SSX for the Remington and a box of Nitros, sight in and go hunting.

The downside of Nitro is:
A. Obviously the cost, but they save money in the initial testing

B. Their lack of answering the phone and lead time to receiving your order is a PIA

With this being said, I will be switching from Nitro this year mainly due to B, if I can get 140 evenly dispersed pellets in a ten inch circle at 40 yds with a good margin for error outside of that with either Fed HW 7s or H 13 7s at 40 yards.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post

Yes, they are worth the money..
x2 on the nitros!! Some are getting good patterns from the Federal Hvwt's but it didnt happen in our 20's.
We will be sticking with Nitros!!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 AM

What makes Nitros so good is their patterns, which are a result of their pellet counts. Nobody else puts near as many pellets in a 20 gauge turkey shell.

If you're going to get a 20 gauge, and if you can't get 150 or so of the Fed HWT #7s in a 10" at 40, then you're probably better off going with Nitros. The Fed HWT #7 pellets carry a much bigger wallop than the Nitro #7 hevishot pellets, but you've got to have a good pattern density or the advantage is negated.

Short of loading your own, those are the best options out there. I hear EM is coming up with some 20 gauge hevi-13 #7 shells, but I think they will only be 1-1/4 oz.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM

Fed HW #7 number one for me in pattering. Hevi-13 #6 is my backup.

With my pattering tests any shot larger than that, at least in my 20ga guns, don't produce the shot patterns dense enough with sufficient number of hits in the kill/disable zone beyond 25-30 yards for me to feel comfortable using them.

BTW: if the Fed HW #7 hadn't been able I would have gone to Nitros this year.

Last edited by returntoarchery; 12-31-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntoarchery View Post
Fed HW #7 number one for me in pattering. Hevi-13 #6 is my backup.
This is the first I've heard of Fed HWs out-patterning Nitros. There just aren't near the number of pellets in the shell. I'd be very excited to see your Fed HW #7 pattern if you have any pictures of them.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
This is the first I've heard of Fed HWs out-patterning Nitros. There just aren't near the number of pellets in the shell. I'd be very excited to see your Fed HW #7 pattern if you have any pictures of them.
To be clear, I haven't tested the Nitros. From what I've seen of other folks tests, the Nitros pattern better. The reason I selected the Fed HW #7 over Nitros was economic rather than pattern performance. I'll eventually try the Nitros but quite frankly my barrel needs some TLC from the Gun Docc before I could get the added benefits of the Nitros to justify the extra expense.

My numbers aren't up to what others are getting from Fed HW #7 but a good bit better than the Hevi-13 and other lead loads.

Check www.oldgobbler.com. there's a bunch of patterning photos there from other folks. I'm gaboy there and you'll see my patterns there. I don't recall if I posted them here.

Last edited by returntoarchery; 12-31-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 AM

found my post. My measured 40 yards counts for a 10" circle were 97, 99, 125 for Fed HW #7 and Hevi-13 #6 was 66. I've seen others get 140+ from the Feds HW #7.

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index...c,21219.0.html

You'll need to register and login to see the pics.

Last edited by returntoarchery; 12-31-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM

Once again my barrel needs some work and there are folks getting better patterns from their 20ga guns. YMMV. The wind was gusting from 2 o'clock and temp was 85-90 degs. Also the only digital camera I have is crappy cell phone camera so the images are pretty bad. There are holes in the orange sticker but the camera saturated them out.
Attached Images

Last edited by returntoarchery; 12-31-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaksmoka View Post
All this talk has me thinking about getting a 20ga for turkeys, if you had to pick a gun what would you get?
A lot of folks are using the Rem 870 youth with good results. There are lot of good options out there. MKW is the 20ga guru here maybe he'll chime in.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 AM

I'm bored today hence the number of posts.

Here's the measured 30 yard numbers for Kent, Win, & Rem lead shot shells. Same Ithaca M37 setup as previous post. 3 shots per target with average. I know the avg isn't always a good representative of good pattern performance due to possible inconsistency from shell to shell but I was in a hurry that day and was doing those for fun. The results were in line with single shot numbers from a Win 1300 I patterned last year.

Kent Ultimate Turkey Diamond Shot 3 1-1/4 #6:

Total 260
Avg 86.7

Remington Premium Turkey Magnum Copper Plated buffered 3 1-1/4 #6:

Total 246
Avg 82

Winchester Supreme HV Turkey Mag 3 1-5/16 #5:

Total 179
Avg 59.7

Winchester Super X Magnum 3 1-1/4 #4:

Total 177
Avg 59
Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 AM

I just picked up a Remington Youth, I liked the light weight and short barrel. I am not that big so the 1" shorter youth stock fits me pretty good.

I hunted for a used one and finally gave up and bought new for $320 out the door with a $30 rebate from Remington.

I read on Old Gobbler about problems with the hevi 13, what waterfowl load is better to try, the Goose Load?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwright View Post

I read on Old Gobbler about problems with the hevi 13....
Same here. The issue as I recall was different wads were used from batch to batch due to availability issues. I think the EM Hevi folk acknowledged the problem and were working on a better more consistent source of wads.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dawg Bone View Post
I'm just using Winchester Supremes 4 or 5 shot and I'm 2 for 3 and the one I lost was over 50 yards away
Same here. Great shells, I use them in a 20 and a 12.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 PM

Default ...

I don't know about the "guru" stuff, but it is certainly true that I have shot a ton of 20ga turkey loads thru a ton of different guns and chokes. Until a couple of years ago, I'd shoot around 80 20ga turkey loads at paper every year. Then...I found Nitros! Before Nitros, my best patterning gun was a 26" Rem 1187 20ga. It would stay right around 150 hits at 40yrds with pre-07 Hevi 13 #6s and a PureGold .555. With Nitro #7 Hevis, it is pretty easy to get 200+ at 40yrds. At present, I have 5 different 20ga turkey guns that will stay at or above 200 at 40yrds. If I had bought Nitros earlier, it would have saved me loads of money in shells and chokes!
I am very interested in the Federal Heavyweight #7s and have 5 boxes to test when the weather gets right. I'm looking for a consistant 140 hits at 40yrds. If I can get that, I'll drop the Nitros.
If it were me, and I had your gun, the first thing I'd try would be the Federals with a Rem factory superfull choke. There are other chokes that seem to be working and still others that are supposed to be coming out for that shell, but the Rem Superfull seems to be the most consistant producer right now.(from what I've read) If that didn't work to your satisfaction, I wouldn't mess around any more. At that point, I'd go for the Nitro H276 #7s. I lost all confidence in EM when they messed up the '06 and prior Hevi 13s. And, I don't really like the 1090fps.
Good luck!

Mike
Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
...t I have shot a ton of 20ga turkey loads thru a ton of different guns and chokes. Until a couple of years ago, I'd shoot around 80 20ga turkey loads at paper every year. .
As I said you're the 20ga guru .. er rah... Da Man.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaksmoka View Post
LINK: 20GA Winchester SX3 Shotgun (Click Here)

Super-soft shooter, .630" backbore, Invector + choke system, 6 1/2 pounds (unloaded), Decelerator recoil pad, adjustable LOP, and best-of-all: it is a real gas action semi-automatic (not a semi-auto blowback shotgun).

Should be available sometime first 1/2 of 2010.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 PM

I shoot the heavyweight 7's in my 12ga and get over 200 easy. They are moving at 1300 FPS also. I just looked at federals website last night checking to see if the shells were still being made. I need to order some more. I noticed on there site that the 20ga loads are moving at 1100 FPS. If I was shooting a 20 I think I would go with the federals and a 555 pure gold. I can't wait to see the results you get with the feds Mike.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
...I don't really like the 1090fps.
Quote:
...the 20ga loads are moving at 1100 FPS
Keep in mind that in the case of Hevi-13 6s, and Fed HWT 7s, the density is going to more than trump the slower speeds.

I don't know exactly what the trade-off is between pellet speed and density, but I do know that the hevi-13 6s at 1090 penetrate way better than Nitros 7s, and the Fed HWT 7s do as well. As far as punching through flesh and breaking bones is concerned, speed is just one variable, and just a means to an end.