GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Default how to weld conduit (emt) ?

gettin' ready to build some shootin' houses & instead of paying the price or building 'em outa wood i thought i'd look into building 'em out of metal electrical conduit tubing. (like all the ones you see for sale) what kinda weld do they use to do this? thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 10:50 AM

Do you have a mig welder?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 AM

Set of torches and some prefluxed brazing rods ( brass with the white coating).....works for me.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo
Do you have a mig welder?
no, but is that how they do it? mig?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:03 AM

It can be done yes.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:12 AM

Heating emt will weaken it. If it is going to be a stand you do not move very much, I would use some IMC or ridgid conduit. I have made about 30 of these type stands. The EMT were junk after the first year.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 AM

Burl,thanks for the tip.you are right.

Billy,have you ever thought of using scaffold stands.We use them at our club and very easy to make a fine stand house.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 AM

All the tomcat stree stands were made form brazing emt together. Had one for many years....no problems....had ladder stands made of emt for years I brazed together...no problems.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl E.
Heating emt will weaken it. If it is going to be a stand you do not move very much, I would use some IMC or ridgid conduit. I have made about 30 of these type stands. The EMT were junk after the first year.
what do they use on most of the stands you see for sale on the side of the road?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtimber
All the tomcat stree stands were made form brazing emt together. Had one for many years....no problems....had ladder stands made of emt for years I brazed together...no problems.
sounds like the first approach i might take, the easiest way!!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:32 AM

You can weld EMT with carbon steel wire.However if it were me I would use 1" Box Tubing.Its much stronger and easier to work with.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Hayes
You can weld EMT with carbon steel wire.However if it were me I would use 1" Box Tubing.Its much stronger and easier to work with.
I would have to agree with you on that one. It makes them much heavier...but they are easier to build and its definity stronger material. If you don't feel safe and trust it.... whatever material or design you go with you don't have nothing....just is not worth getting hurt over regardless
Old 01-22-2006, 11:59 AM

i agree with the safety issue, but the ones they sell seem to be plenty safe & they're made out of welded conduit w/ cross braces , i'm a carpenter & the conduit blinds seem to be a better bet on the safety / weight department vs. wood made
Old 01-22-2006, 12:07 PM

Be very careful welding any galvanized metal. The gases created by welding galvanized metal can KILL you or permanently harm you if you do not have good ventilation and use the proper respirator. If you are not an experienced welder/fabricator I do not think you should be gaining experience on objects that could fail and cause you to get severly injured or killed. For what a good welding set up will cost you can buy the nicest tree stand made.

rj-
Old 01-22-2006, 12:13 PM

be very careful if you use conduit.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Be sure to find steel couplings, most of the new ones are aluminum. and drink buttermilk before welding, all the guys I knew that welded galv. ductwork for a living always drank buttermilk B-4 they started they said it countered the effects of the fumes.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:29 PM

i'm not sure that the conduit is galvanized?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:05 PM

I just wish I could find someone to show me how to use the welder I bought brand new over a year ago. I can't get that wire to melt and stick for nothin. It's a mig/tig I think. You can weld with or without gas.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill
I just wish I could find someone to show me how to use the welder I bought brand new over a year ago. I can't get that wire to melt and stick for nothin. It's a mig/tig I think. You can weld with or without gas.
sounds nice, i'd like to get one for personel use, but then again, i don't know how to use one either!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:39 PM

I bought it to fix cars, but would like to build some stands too. I tried to let a friend borrow it for a while just so I could go over and learn, but he was afraid he'd break my new welder.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:34 PM

I have built several out of conduit welded with an acetylene torch and a coat hanger.Never had a problem with one not holding.

roadkill,the welder you bought is quite easy to weld with .First thing is if it has to have gas or not.A gas type wire will not weld without gas and even then you have to stay out of the wind as it will blow your gas away and prevent it from welding.The speed of your wire into your puddle of melted metal will have a lots to do with how it works.Good luck with it.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill
Most newbies are afraid to turn up the heat enough to get the business done. For every heat setting there is a very narrow wire speed range that is suitable. For welding thin metal you need to use .023 wire. I have never used flux core wire. Just solid wire and a CO2/argon gas mix. I will enclose a pic of my last big welding project. There was a bit of metal forming involved also
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2006, 08:09 PM

You can not tig weld without gas, your tungsten will burn off at the tip as soon as you touch the metal. And all conduit is galvenized, electrical code says it has to be.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:16 PM

I have 2 folding latter stands 16'-18' from 1/2''-3/4'' emt they were brazed.Had to repair 1 this year that I left out for 3 yrs on a pine in the open.None of the brazing broke but the emt cracked.
KD
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 PM

Default rayjay

That's a cool ride, what is it? Do you race it?

I tried to use flux core wire, but I must not have the speed and heat settings right.