Thirty-Eight Special Loads Using Cast Bullets

redlevel

What do you load in .38 special, 148 grain wadcutters and 158 grain semi-wadcutters. There is a thread running on the S&W forum about "Best non +p defense loads in .38 special for old revolvers" or some such. Several of us are claiming 5.0 grains of Unique behind a 146/148 grain wadcutter. Someone pointed out that this would be considered an overload in more recent manuals.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/107100-best-defense-load-38-spl-old-revolvers-not-p.html
I am looking at a 1980 publish date Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook that lists some loads for 146 grain cast and 158 grain cast bullets that make the 5.0 grain load look right wimpy.

I load three loads for .38 sp now, all using GA Arms 148 grain hardcast full wadcutter bullets. They claim a Brinell hardness # of 18. I load a target/plinking load with 2.8 grains of Bullseye. This is pretty much a standard target load of long standing. Fun to shoot, easy on arthritic hands, and pleasant for young shooters. I load a 4.6 grain Unique load with the same bullet. I call it my "field load." I carry a three inch S&W Model 36-1 in a flap holster on the farm a lot, and this is the load for it. I consider it to be a sort of "kit gun," except it is a whole lot more potent than a .22 in about the same package. I also carry the load in various K-frame Smiths, mostly with four inch barrels. Extrapolating from various manuals, this should yield around 800-850 fps from a four inch barrel. This is guesswork, because I don't have a chronograph.

Finally, I load the 5.0 grain Unique load. According to the Cast Bullet Handbook I mentioned, this load generates 948fps at 16,100C.U.P in a four inch test barrel. It isn't particularly loud, nor is recoil particularly great, but you can tell it is a step up from the 4.6 grain load, especially in a j-frame such as a Model 36 or Model 60. I haven't tried it in my daughter's 442-2, although the 4.6 grain load isn't particularly punishing in the Airweight. It isn't something you would want to shoot fifty rounds at a session in the little Airweight, either.

I'm not sure what your question is.

For years, I used reversed hollowed based WC as a personal defense load. That was before +P loads were generally available.

Now, I stuff in commercial +P loads, and use the handloaded WC rounds for target practice.

I've tried to parse through your post, but I got lost. IMO full wadcutters are good for target practice and not much else. I love them for punching holes in targets, but don't use them at all in the field,.

redlevel

What do you load in .38 special, 148 grain wadcutters and 158 grain semi-wadcutters.

Pretty straightforward question, I thought. :huh:

Maybe I should have written it better: "What are your favorite .38 special loads using 148 grain wadcutters and 158 grain semi-wadcutters?"

I listed mine. I don't load anything but wadcutters, but I realize many others load both full and semi-wadcutters.

redlevel

I'm not sure what your question is.

I've tried to parse through your post, but I got lost.

I re-read my post. It isn't the quality of prose I used when I wrote my Masters thesis, but it ain't that bad.:rolleyes:

Maybe you need to check it some time before the cocktail hour. Or perhaps it would be easier to read if you weren't trying to watch "Idol" at the same time.

MGD45

I load 125 grain cast lead bullets for my J-frame Airweight & I load wth 3.0 grains of Bullseye. Makes it very nice & managable for plinking at the range....these chrono'd at 688 fps.

-ometimes I'll bump up the load to 4.0 grains & you can certainly tell the difference! They run about 750-800 fps......Sorry, but I haven't loaded the heavier bullets yet.

redlevel

IMO full wadcutters are good for target practice and not much else.

Not everyone agrees with you.

Picture1-2.png

ironhead7544

I like the 5.0 gr Unique with the 158 SWC. Never used the full WC much but 231 was my powder for that. The Buffalo Bore hard cast WC would be good for a defense load. I dont think the factory target WC loads should be used for defense as Ive had failures on varmints with them. Just my .02.

EMC-GUN

2.7gr. Bullseye for the 148gr. and 3gr. for the Lee 158gr. RNFP. The are both quite accurate. I have some 180gr. Ranch Dog bullets I've been wanting to try out. In my model 36!

fishtail

3.0gr Bullseye 148gr DEWC (double ended wad cutter) CCI 500 primers 705fps (can't remember if that was chronographed or which gun used in).

jfinch

Mine is 2.5 grains of Clays with the 148 wad cutter. It is pretty close to the Bullseye load but in my experience it is a lot cleaner.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
I have been using 3.5 grains of Red-Dot with my 158 grain SWC bullets (Lyman 358156).

However just recently, I have been introduced to Trail Boss powder. I also have a new plain base 158 grain SWC mould. I am in the process of testing TB loads with this new bullet and it looks very promising for a plinking/rat shooting load.