Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Meteorite found.

Anybody here have any personal knowledge of meteorites? I found this one while turkey hunting this year. From the research I've done it looks to be an iron nickle meteorite, I did the magnet test and it stuck to it.
Of course my next question would be where can I sell it locally, I hear that they are pretty valuble and this type is more rare than the stony type.

Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Chief

Odd, but the 3rd pic looks like a different shape.
How much does it weigh???
What do want($) for it???
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Probably worth more by throwing it on the grill with your burgers and having some fun. ( looks like a good size hamburger in photo )
Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 AM

The third pic is a side view, the first two were front and back or top and bottom whichever description applies.

I'm still researching this thing and have contacted several people that will be able to verify my suspicions. In the end it's worth whatever you can get I guess but from what I've seen they go for hundreds into the thousands of dollars depending on location and type. I have not weighed it yet but it is very dense. May run down to the local pawn shop to weigh it.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser64 View Post
The third pic is a side view, the first two were front and back or top and bottom whichever description applies.

I'm still researching this thing and have contacted several people that will be able to verify my suspicions. In the end it's worth whatever you can get I guess but from what I've seen they go for hundreds into the thousands of dollars depending on location and type. I have not weighed it yet but it is very dense. May run down to the local pawn shop to weigh it.
I gotcha....Good find!!!

A lot of factors involved in value for sure. Keep us posted on it....very interesting
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 AM

207 grams or approx 7 oz. on the wt.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Nice fossilized dinosaur poop also known as Coprolites
Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM

I hope not! If it is he had high iron levels in him cause you can hardly pry a magnet off of it!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:15 PM

I have heard of some with those properties. It might be a meteorite, but I didnt want to pass up the chance to make you wonder if you have been pokin and proding a piece a poop
Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 PM

Just call me joe dirt!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 PM

Its a nice find, here is a local link with some info. If you go to the pictures at the top of the link, you will see a huge one that looks like yours.
http://www.meteoriteassociationofgeo...eorites101.htm

Last edited by sinclair1; 04-17-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm in the process of putting a slice of the stoney in black acrylic. It will be back lit and set on an office shelf. The lady I'm doing it for, said it came from China. Didn't ask her the total amount, but she said they paid a pretty penny. Probably expensive because of the cutting.

I was also told to try and not handle any of the face of it, because of the rusting it would do.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM

You may try calling the Tellus Museum in Cartersville. It used to be the Weinman Mineral Museum and they might at least give you a contact or connection of who to talk to.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclair1 View Post
Its a nice find, here is a local link with some info. If you go to the pictures at the top of the link, you will see a huge one that looks like yours.
http://www.meteoriteassociationofgeo...eorites101.htm
I sent those folks an e mail earlier today. Maybe they will get back to me and give an expert opinion.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 AM

Nice find. Hope it turns out to be valuable. Was it laying on top of the ground or did you dig it up?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 AM

I used to find stuff like that all the time, near an old foundry..

Will be interesting to see what the experts say you've got there and what it's worth.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:09 PM

I saw a show on TV about guys going hunting for them, they told the prices they would sell for and I was shocked. Made me want to go look for some.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 AM

I had one that I suspected was a meteorite years back. I contacted fernbank in Atl and they were very interested after seeing my pics. I went down and met Dr. Ed Albin. and lent them the "meteorite" they did a cut on it and a guy from California flew in to test it. It seems it was only gabo stone. A type of rock that was once molten lava and formed into a round bubble like shape and worked it's way to the surface.It seemed heavier then normal for it's size and it was rounded off and it was magnitized. It would of been the largest meteorite found in georgia ever.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeaceKeeper View Post
I saw a show on TV about guys going hunting for them, they told the prices they would sell for and I was shocked. Made me want to go look for some.
Yea that was a pretty neat show...they are making a handsome living at it...selling them to museums and universities by the gram....

These folks might help, instructions at bottom of page..

http://www.aerolite.org/found-a-meteorite.htm
Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM

or put it on Ebay with a starting bid of $400...see what happens...if somebody bites, you can atleast buy a new rifle...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM

I'm a geology student and can tell you a little bit about it. It will have to be tested though to make sure it is a meteorite. If it is. Its basically 4.6 billion years old, the same age as Earth. Its pieces left over from the big bang and land from time to time here on Earth. Congrats on your find and hope to hear what the experts say.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt Em Up View Post
I'm a geology student and can tell you a little bit about it. It will have to be tested though to make sure it is a meteorite. If it is. Its basically 4.6 billion years old, the same age as Earth. Its pieces left over from the big bang and land from time to time here on Earth. Congrats on your find and hope to hear what the experts say.
Been watching this thread with interest!! I have 2 pieces I have found. Never put a magnet to either one. One is solid without any foreign material, slightly smaller than a Ping Pong ball..........Very heavy for it's size........smooth with some angular surfaces, black in color. The second one has black angular fragments that look like the first piece with fused sand attached to the bottom of it??..........any ideas??
Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 PM

my buddy sold me a meteorite(landscaping rock) when i was 9.I gave 4 dollars for it.I carried it around for weeks till my pops broke the news.LOL
Old 04-20-2010, 05:43 AM

So far so good. Have had somebody from the "meteorite association of georgia " give me some preliminary tests to perform that has told me what it ain't, including dino poop, hematite or slag. She is interested enough in it to want to meet and see it in person.

Who knows? Might be on to something!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:31 AM

It's poop man. Definately a transformer poo.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 AM

Great find ,good luck!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2class View Post
It's poop man. Definately a transformer poo.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTTNBUCK View Post
Been watching this thread with interest!! I have 2 pieces I have found. Never put a magnet to either one. One is solid without any foreign material, slightly smaller than a Ping Pong ball..........Very heavy for it's size........smooth with some angular surfaces, black in color. The second one has black angular fragments that look like the first piece with fused sand attached to the bottom of it??..........any ideas??
Take some pics...
Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 AM

From the pics, I'd say not a meteorite. I hope I'm wrong.
-SG
Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Be very careful & do not make any quick decisions, but become well informed as you can with your research on very uncommon, rare discoveries of meteorites. I've seen several news items about meteorite collectors that state these rocks usually have high iron content & like you did, a magnet is a good starting test point indicator of high metal content in them. One guy out west that uses metal detectors to find them keeps his in a big heavy duty safe. I do not know much about it, but several times I was shocked to hear on news reports that good sized meteorites can reach a million dollars in value, so keeping them in safe places like a safety deposit box in a bank is worth seriously considering. Most of these kind of rocks found on earth they said are usually very small. Good luck in whatever you do. If it is tested to be a real meteorite, you're definitely blessed from above.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Great topic guyz...yaw have answered some of my questions! I never thought about selling items like this!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 PM

My dad found one years ago while hunting. It was a little larger than a softball and also had a large iron content. He took it to the fernbank science center in Atlanta. They told him it was iron ore..not a meteorite...
Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 AM

In case you did not see this . . .

$5 million metorite or "moon rock":

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100601/...odd_moon_rocks

Former Colorado governor had missing moon rock

Tue Jun 1, 4:34 pm ET

DENVER A missing moon rock awarded to Colorado in 1974 has turned up in an ex-governor's house.

The lunar souvenir was given to former Gov. John Vanderhoof by the Nixon administration, which awarded bits of moon rubble to all 50 states and more than 130 foreign countries.

Vanderhoof is now 88 and living in Grand Junction. He has kept the rock on a plaque in his house and didn't think much of it until college students started looking for the moon rocks. On Tuesday a Denver television station called to ask if he had Colorado's.

Vanderhoof joked that he had offered the rock to museums, but no one was interested. Its estimated value is $5 million.

Another set of moon rocks awarded to Colorado was found in storage at the state history museum about a decade ago.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

DENVER (AP) Colorado, we have a problem. The moon rocks are missing.

The rocks, given to the state, in 1974 are valued at $5 million on the black market and few even realized they existed until a college student began searching for them as part of an assignment.

Another set of moon rocks collected in 1969 was found in storage at the state history museum about a decade ago. They are now on display on the third floor of the state Capitol.

Neither the history museum nor the Denver Museum of Nature & Science has the second set of rocks and the governor's office doesn't know where they are.
___

Information from: The Denver Post, http://www.denverpost.com

AND

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Mete...-95222724.html

Meteorite found along Ore. road estimated at 4.5 billion years old

May 31, 2010

An extremely rare and pristine meteorite was found on the side of the road in Eastern Oregon and experts say its 4.5 billion years old.

Don Wesson found the rock 11 years ago in rural Morrow County and he is just learning about its rare qualities. It was just the fifth meteorite ever found in Oregon.

After watching a TV show about meteorites recently, Wesson brought his rock to the experts who had a big surprise for him. They said they believe the rock hit the earth between 200 and 800 years ago but its actually even older than that by far.

It's a piece of the asteroid belt, a leftover from the formation of the solar system, No two are quite alike, Wesson explained, recalling what the experts had told him.

Wesson said he was thrilled to learn more about his rock but already has the amazing satisfaction of knowing hes touched something from outer space.

Wesson donated some samples of the meteorite to Portland State University.