GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Default Alapaha River Monday 5/31/2010

Just got back from the river with the family, we caught some good redbreasts and the kids had fun playing in the water. We are all wore out now and about to find some supper. Water was still just a touch too high and fast, maybe next Saturday it will be perfect.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM

where is this lake located at?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 PM

The Alapaha is probably the most pristine river left in Ga if not the whole southeast. May be the most beautiful, too. I grew up wade-fishing it with a homemade "fishsack" slung over my shoulder and a cane pole. Spent many a night camping on a sandbar and catfishing with limblines. I've pretty well fished all of it from Berrien beach downstream to the Lakeland bridge. My grandparents lived about halfway up River Rd, a short walk through the woods from the river. Your post brought back a lot of great memories, Milltown. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGADawg View Post
The Alapaha is probably the most pristine river left in Ga if not the whole southeast. May be the most beautiful, too. I grew up wade-fishing it with a homemade "fishsack" slung over my shoulder and a cane pole. Spent many a night camping on a sandbar and catfishing with limblines. I've pretty well fished all of it from Berrien beach downstream to the Lakeland bridge. My grandparents lived about halfway up River Rd, a short walk through the woods from the river. Your post brought back a lot of great memories, Milltown. Thanks.
We hunted on it for years and I have wade fished a bunch and always had a great time... Red breast and those chuncky river bass always fight good...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
GONetwork Member

Fished it Sunday afternoon and yes, it is just a little too high. Had a great time, caught some nice red bellies and enjoyed a very beautiful scenic river.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 AM

Well, we canoed it this weekend and the skeets were out of control ! My Thermacell even had a problem with them at times. (It did work great most of the time.) The thunderstorms on Sat and Sunday night knocked a good bit of the fun out of the trip. River rose about 1.5 feet during the trip. Still a little high and "muddy".

But, the river was outstandingly beautiful, with wood storks, ibis, herons, owls, and all the other great things the Alapaha is. Got a few when we had the chance to fish.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Yeah the river is always beautiful, and the skeeters were terrible. I didn't take the camera so I can't post up any pictures.

Quote:
Right off of river Rd. is where we were fishing, you kind of stay out the crowds that way.