tips on how to set up catfish "jugs"

bander_TC50

ok guys i went to the dollar store and bought enough "noodles" to make 15, 1 foot floats for juggin. ive heard of a couple a ways to set these things up but i would like yall's input or ideas. im not lookin to put too much into the juggs but i want them to be sturdy

thanks for the help,

bryan

Etter2

Banned
I got some sixty pound spider wire and then just tied it tight wrapped around the noodle. Left about 3 feet of line and tied about a half ounce egg sinker above the 4 ought circle hook. Havent found an easier or better way to do it yet and have caught tons of cats on this rig/

olchevy

Mark yours! One thing I greatly dislike is when people come taking and checking on our "jugs"....It's just wrong mark yours so you know that its yours, or tie them so that they can only go so far from your dock......On a side note last time I went out to lake sinclair we where in a boat doing 40mph, and a noodle passed us, it was making a huge V in the water!!!! I didn't know fish could swim that fast?!?!?!?!?....

jleepeters

I make mine with the clothes hanger thru the center, it just seems more sturdy to me, We made another 30 or so this past weekend and i might have had 15 bucks in all of them. There is a post on here about how to do it, if you cant find it and you wanna try it then pm me and ill get some pics of mine for ya

Mark yours! One thing I greatly dislike is when people come taking and checking on our "jugs"....It's just wrong mark yours so you know that its yours, or tie them so that they can only go so far from your dock......On a side note last time I went out to lake sinclair we where in a boat doing 40mph, and a noodle passed us, it was making a huge V in the water!!!! I didn't know fish could swim that fast?!?!?!?!?....

How do you mark yours?

jleepeters

write your name on it with a sharpie

big_bird

i get these 24 oz mtn dew bottles. i tie about 8 feet of 30lb mono with just a 2/0 circle hook. i stick reflective tape on mine and write my name on the bottle with a big magic marker.

i run jugs on the hooch below fort gaines. the water averages 15 foot so i tend to run the jugs at 8 foot or so. i have done different lenghts but this works best for me.

i tried the noodle thing before and had the line pull through the noodle when a big fish got on.

JMHO

dawg4028

I make mine with the clothes hanger thru the center, it just seems more sturdy to me, We made another 30 or so this past weekend and i might have had 15 bucks in all of them. There is a post on here about how to do it, if you cant find it and you wanna try it then pm me and ill get some pics of mine for ya

just made some with clothes hangers. Seem like they will work well and are cheap to make.

Look u pcatfish jugs with PVC. I made a bunch of those and they work great. Little more $ to make and time but they are the ticket. I just got to figure out wher to put them!

badkarma

noodle ideas

Here is a crude drawing of another setup. Go up about 1/3 from one end and poke a hole all the way through. Insert a piece of plastic tubing or even a drinking straw. Put your line through the straw and tie back to itself. Attach a weight to the bottom and a hook a little further up. The tubing keeps the line from being pulled through the noodle as mentioned earlier. Add reflective tape for night fishing. Check the regs about what is required to mark your noodles (name, address, fishing license #, etc.). There are several ways to attach the hook (3-way swivel). PM me if you want more info. When a fish hits it will stand up on end like a flag. This is the reason to tie in 1/3 of the way up and not in the middle. Very cheap, very easy.

Attachments

• catfishing noodle.jpg
    catfishing noodle.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 6,486

jicard3

Hey, I like the looks of that. Looks far more simple than what I've been building. I'll be trying it, thanks for the drawing badkarma.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've made some with hanger wire and they work good, but I like the PVC ones best. Take a little longer to make, but very well worth it. They stand up and wave at you when a fish is on, and the line won't cut through the foam like it will if you just tie it on. Which ever kind you make, be sure to put a big swivel on it. Catfish are notorius twisters. I like 4/0-5/0 circle hooks.

milltown

Do ya'll like to fish them in deeper water or shallower water? Live bait or something else like cut bait or livers?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I only put a foot, or foot and a half of line on mine and catch plenty of fish and they're a lot easier to net. I'll throw them in the middle of the channel, off points, mouths of coves, middle of flats near deep water, and where the channel runs along a steep bank. Catch fish on a foot of line in thirty feet of water sometimes. I only jug at night, though. Cut bait has worked the best for me. Live bait on jugs is illegal in my neck of the woods.

Cricket Chunker

Look at post #15 in this link. I have built a ton of them off of this pattern. We anchor ours to the bottom and put 3 to 5 hooks on one jug. Kind of like a vertical trot line. Not as cheap as the clothes hanger but the flagging part is fun.

http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=195463&page=2

I like the tip up design of those. If it's laying flat, leave it alone, if it's up - go check it. Now they just need to add a small battery and tilt switch and LED to the cap for midnight runs.

Etter2

Banned
I use cut up hot dogs exclusively and we catch tons of channels in the 2-8 pound range. Cheap and easy

bander_TC50

thanks guys, for all the help the flagging jug is really neat and i think i have some old PVC lying around the house so im gonna try that rig.

thanks again for the info

fishnjay

Empty 2 litters

I grew up catfishin in Mississippi. All we did was jugging. Our set up was:

2 liter empy coke bottle. Spray paint the inside Flourescent Orange - EASY TO SPOT IN THE AM!

1 Strip of Reflector tape on wrapped around the outside.

We used nylon twine for the for the line. The lakes we fished were b/w 15-25 feet deep. We would try to keep our line within a couple feet of the bottom.

Tie you off a 1 ounce weight 18" up from the hook. Usually used 4/0.

For bait we used hand sized gold fish that the local bait store carried. My uncle always would say "boy dem flatheads luv dem goldfish!"

Good Luck!! Post some pics of your setup and catch.

dawg4028

Try using nylon leaders. They will last forever and their is no difference on bite. (Atleast for cut bait; need to try some live bait)