Old 06-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Default red fin pike

okay last year i seen where some one was catching red fin pike around dublin.Now ive allways heard how good they are.So im asking how and where can i catch some?No i dont want you to reveal your secret honey holes just a general area where i can go thats legal and what to use to catch them.Ive allways heard how good they are to eat and ive allways loved to walk river and creek banks so im ready are the fish?Thanks loose parts
Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Most any creek of decent size will do if it hasnt been cleaned out already. You need a 1/8 or 1/16 ounce RED rooster tail. Red is the only color that will work.Try to find some holes that have been cut off by low water. Have fun take some skeeter spray and snake boots.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 PM

red rooster tails aint the only color i heave wore them out on yellow, white, and black rooster tails but i use 1/24 oz
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM

yep theronhearn. I do good on white also as well as yellow.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funderburkjason View Post
Most any creek of decent size will do if it hasnt been cleaned out already. You need a 1/8 or 1/16 ounce RED rooster tail. Red is the only color that will work.Try to find some holes that have been cut off by low water. Have fun take some skeeter spray and snake boots.
red is not the only color you can also use a lime grenn looking one too it works great
Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Retired Administrator

Here is how we used to catch em when I was a youngun. We would cut a strip of fatback a couple of inches long, and hook one end in a #6 hook tied to the line on a cane pole about 12 feet long. We`d get in the creek and toss this out and "work' it back and forth in pockets and deep holes. When the first one was caught, we would cut the belly strip off the pike, and make sure to include the red belly fins. This would replace the fatback, which was put in your pocket, in case you lost that belly strip. You could usually catch a mess of fish this way. Give this a try and let me know how you do.

The old folks told me that they didn`t even use a hook, just a strip of flannel tied to the line, and worked as we did the fatback and belly strip. When a fish hit, it was quickly flipped out on the bank of the narrow creek.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Default red fin pike

Okay i think i know what to use for bait.Now where do i go thats legal within a 100 miles of warner robins.Also what pound line do yall use.Thanks loose parts
Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Small line is fine. I use 6 lb. test. You need to find some small creeks. The creeks I fish are really just small holes that haven't dried up yet. Be ready for some fine eating.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:14 PM

Default what small creeks?

What part of ga has the small creeks.I want to go some where where i can park my truck and be legal not trespassing.Do you just find a bridge and start walking? Do i need to go south or any where in ga?I dont want to know your spots just where do i start.We have a lot of creeks around warner robins but there all big and mostly posted.Can any one name a spot or creek they have caught them in .Thanks looseparts
Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 PM

Never heard of them or anyone catching them here in N.E. Georgia. Are they just in South Georgia waters??
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 PM

I mostly fish around Johnson, Washington, and Emanuel counties. I think you'd probably need to go south and east of WR. I can't tell you any creeks to try, because most of the creeks I fish are on private property. I do stop at some bridges and fish the creeks as long as the property is not posted. You may be able to catch some on some WMA's like Riverbend or Beaverdam in Laurens county.