GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

Default Briscoe Park Snellville Georgia

I was at the park tonight walking the pooch and the kid -went by the lake to see a well how do I say this politically correct without offending anyone. OOH OOH I know a individual that his best spoken language was not English throwing a cast net into the lake and catching fish. He had 2 inch catfish6 inch bass a 3 pound bass. He must have had 25 plus fish in two five gallon buckets. I asked if he had a fishing license. He just smiled a dumb grin. I called Snellville police and reported it-they said that they did not get involved in cast netting and license issues. So I called the DNR and they got me in touch with a agent that was in South Rockdale-he said that he would come, but it would be 45 minutes before he could get there. Needless to say it was 30 minutes before dark and the police do make you leave at dark. I told him that it would be too late and not to worry about it. Just had to vent about my local authorities-If I would have been going 36 MPH in a 35 MPH zone-they would have been all over me...
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM

This sort of stuff is getting to be a problems all over the place! We need to talk with our politicians, and see if we can get them to have the police enforce game laws, at least in the flagrant cases.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM

makes me mad. most people play by the rules and pay the dues only to have these people "smile" at the rules and then nobody can do anything about it? nuts! my vent is all the people at the pool right below Abbots Bridge worm, corn, and powerbait dunking with impunity. enough is enough
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 PM

A lot of 30 year old septic tanks seep into that lake now...

But back in the early 70's when Mr. Pate owned the lake, way before it was donated to the city, us kids had permission to fish it. Just through the woods off of the dirt road. (long gone) it wasn't anything for us to bring home a string with a couple of 3 to 5 lb bass and a good mess of bluegill and warmouth.

Ahhh, the good ol' days.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrcdr View Post
I called Snellville police and reported it-they said that they did not get involved in cast netting and license issues.
I got checked by gwinnett county police one day fishing at tribble mill. Two of them were riding mountain bikes through the park and seen me walking the bank of the small lake and asked me for my fishing license.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Sounds like you should have tripped on a rock and "accidently" tipped over his buckets.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmay1 View Post
I got checked by gwinnett county police one day fishing at tribble mill. Two of them were riding mountain bikes through the park and seen me walking the bank of the small lake and asked me for my fishing license.
Same thing happened to me @ Mulberry Park near Hamilton Mill.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM

I would of picked his bucket up and thown the fish back in the water . and said ya gotta green card for those fish . no green card no green fish
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickworm View Post
I would of picked his bucket up and thown the fish back in the water . and said ya gotta green card for those fish . no green card no green fish
HA! That's hilarious!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Terrible……just terrible. That park use to have some really big bass in it. I use to go the Firefighter’s Appreciation Day since my Dad was in the department and it was a ton of fun.

I’m guessing with these casting net issues they big bass are few and far between now. I can’t believe that your local cop can’t do anything about it……sounds lazy to me.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Any law enforcement officer can enforce any of the Georgia laws, most don't enforce the game and fish laws because they are under the imperssion that those paticular laws are the sole dominion of DNR or don't know the game and fish codes. I have no problem hooking someone up for a game and fish or boating violation. It's all about knowledge. Sorry you had a bad experience with your local LE.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Briscoe looks like little mexico nowaday. I wont go there anymore. Plus they drained the lake i think not too long ago.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM

lazy cop, argg.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Local LEOs taking a page from the Feds who won't enforce our laws against illegal immigration.

Double.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul02085 View Post
Briscoe looks like little mexico nowaday. I wont go there anymore. Plus they drained the lake i think not too long ago.
They drained to do some reapirs, but not all the way to the bottom.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM

I agree with Gunny. I am sorry you had such a bad experience with your local Law Enforcement agency. But Police on the street dont make policy and that sounded like some kind of dept. policy. Not a "Lazy Cop". Most police are outdoorsman too and this kinda thing is an easy charge. But in small city agencies you have to deal with dumb rules.