Clarification? Can you carry on WMA?

sloppydawg123

Getting ready for the opening bow season and I've been seeing a lot of post about the snakes being bad, if you have your Carry License, you can bring a pistol with some snake shot right?

Flaustin1

No. according to the regs you may not posess any firearm during archery season. Even if you have a carry liscense. It can be in your truck but not on your person when youre hunting.

Catfish369

Carry permit ot not, you can NOT carry a firearm during bow season... Straight from the GW's mouth.

SouthernBeagles

Yes you can.......
General WMA Regulations Page 28.
Unlawful Activities.
Possessing a firearm during closed season for an area, except on designated shooting ranges, unless such firearm is stored in a motor vehicle so as to not be redily accessible, EXCEPT that any person possing a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of ocGA 16-11-126(f) and and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law.

Possing a loaded firearm (a gun is considered loaded if a shell is in the chamber or magazine, a percussion cap is on the nipple or powder is present on the frizzen pan) in a moter vehicle, EXCEPT that any person possing a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of ocGA 16-11-126(f) and and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law.

Edit to add...
I train my dogs on a WMA and have never been questioned about my glock.
The DNR has no problem with it, however he did say if he ever caught someone during bow season with one of them scoped blackhawk pistols or similar he would make a case.
This is about personal protection and our rights......they believe in that too....They just don't want someone taking advantage of a good thing by doing the wrong thing.

Catfish369

** Edited** I stand corrected... Upon reading through the laws/by-laws of the State Of Georgia Codes, I now believe you can indeed carry a handgun during the bow and muzzle-loader seasons. It would appear I was mis-informed by my local GW and will be sure to point it out to them when we next meet.

My sincere apologies.

cpowel10

A permit is not a license. A license to carry would mean a law enforcement officer or similar.

There is no such thing as a permit to carry in georgia, there is a GFL (Georgia Firearms License). People call it a "concealed weapons permit" though....but that is not the correct name.

Flaustin1

A friend of mine has been ticketed for carrying on a wma during bowseason. If yall are right maybe Mr. Greenpants needs to read the rules.

SouthernBeagles

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126(f)
Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129
License to carry pistol or revolver; temporary renewal permit

(a) Application for weapons carry license or renewal license; term. The judge of the probate court of each county may, on application under oath and on payment of a fee of $30.00, issue a weapons carry license or renewal license valid for a period of five years to any person whose domicile is in that county or who is on active duty with the United States armed forces and who is not a domiciliary of this state but who either resides in that county or on a military reservation located in whole or in part in that county at the time of such application. Such license or renewal license shall authorize that person to carry any weapon in any county of this state notwithstanding any change in that person's county of residence or state of domicile. Applicants shall submit the application for a weapons carry license or renewal license to the judge of the probate court on forms prescribed and furnished free of charge to persons wishing to apply for the license or renewal license. An applicant who is not a United States citizen shall provide sufficient personal identifying data, including without limitation his or her place of birth and United States issued alien or admission number, as the Georgia Bureau of Investigation may prescribe by rule or regulation. An applicant who is in nonimmigrant status shall provide proof of his or her qualifications for an exception to the federal firearm prohibition pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 922(y). Forms shall be designed to elicit information from the applicant pertinent to his or her eligibility under this Code section, including citizenship, but shall not require data which is nonpertinent or irrelevant such as serial numbers or other identification capable of being used as a de facto registration of firearms owned by the applicant. The Department of Public Safety shall furnish application forms and license forms required by this Code section. The forms shall be furnished to each judge of each probate court within the state at no cost.

Subject to the limitations of
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Bar" means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets.

(2) "Courthouse" means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held.

(3) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.

(4) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

(5) "Parking facility" means real property owned or leased by a government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar for the parking of motor vehicles at a government building or at such courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar.

(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:

(1) In a government building;

(2) In a courthouse;

(3) In a jail or prison;

(4) In a place of worship;

(5) In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1 which admits individuals on an involuntary basis for treatment of mental illness, developmental disability, or addictive disease; provided, however, that carrying a weapon or long gun in such location in a manner in compliance with paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of this Code section shall not constitute a violation of this subsection;

(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;

(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.2, and the punishment provisions of Code Section 16-11-127.2 shall supersede the punishment provisions of this Code section; or

(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place, except as provided in subsection (i) of Code Section 21-2-413.

(c) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a license holder or person recognized under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) of this Code section; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135. A violation of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not create or give rise to a civil action for damages.

(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(1) To the use of weapons or long guns as exhibits in a legal proceeding, provided such weapons or long guns are secured and handled as directed by the personnel providing courtroom security or the judge hearing the case;

(2) To a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival at a location described in subsection (b) of this Code section and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon or long gun and explicitly follows the security or management personnel's direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon or long gun; and

(3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.

Catfish369

Yep, that's some of what I just read. I was simply going on what I was "told" by a local DNR Officer. I won't make that mistake again. Also, I understand it is indeed a "License" and not a "Permit. :O

As for what's in my pipe... Prince Albert. ::ke:

cpowel10

Yep, that's some of what I just read. I was simply going on what I was "told" by a local DNR Officer. I won't make that mistake again. Also, I understand it is indeed a "License" and not a "Permit. :O

I know what you mean about the GW's. I've ran into them before that didn't know you could carry either. :cheers:

SouthernBeagles

A few years ago, your DNR agent was right! But it is up to us to educate ourselves about current laws. They can change so fast!
You should check out Georgiapacking.org It is an excellent website and will help keep you up on current gun laws.

You would think at least the GW would read the hunting regulation book.:huh::huh::huh:

It's ok for them not to know the law, they just enforce what they don't know.:stir::stir:

Hunters don't give wardens a bad name, wardens give wardens a bad name.:hair::hair:

It's a scary thought that the ones in charge don't have a clue what's going on. Maybe they are just trying to fit in with the president.

Sargent

** Edited** I stand corrected... Upon reading through the laws/by-laws of the State Of Georgia Codes, I now believe you can indeed carry a handgun during the bow and muzzle-loader seasons. It would appear I was mis-informed by my local GW and will be sure to point it out to them when we next meet.

My sincere apologies.

This is why I always carry a copy of the regs with me.