grantham's response to spurrier's comment

rex upshaw

Grantham returns Spurrier’s barb
7:59 pm September 14, 2010, by Tim Tucker

ATHENS — Todd Grantham took note of Saturday’s barb from Steve Spurrier –- and returned the volley Tuesday night with a reference to Spurrier’s lack of success in the NFL.

Spurrier, the South Carolina coach, poked at Grantham, the Georgia defensive coordinator and long-time NFL assistant, after Gamecocks running back Marcus Lattimore had 182 yards rushing against the Bulldogs by saying: “That little inside zone play, the NFL doesn’t run that play. That’s a new scheme, I guess.”

Grantham was asked after Georgia’s practice Tuesday if he saw Spurrier’s comment.

“Yeah, that was texted to me,” Grantham replied with a grin. “I appreciate his assistance, you know. But we actually knew what plays they were running. And they actually run that play in pro ball, and our offense actually runs that play, too. So we’re kind of on top of our game.

“It was kind of an out-of-left-field comment,” Grantham added. “I kind of took it more as a shot at the NFL. I really wasn’t sure if it was because of his lack of success there or what. So I kind of took it more like that than anything.”

Spurrier was 12-20 in two seasons as coach of the NFL’s Washington Redskins.

Grantham coached in the NFL for 11 seasons before being hired as Georgia’s defensive coordinator this year.

South Carolina beat Georgia 17-6 on Saturday.

DBM78

I like it but talk is cheap. Lets see if he gets our boys up this weekend. I said it before SC ran the same 5 plays all game long and we could never stop it. Bobo run 3 toss sweeps and gain good yardage everytime and we don't run it the rest of the day. If can't stop it keep running it.

ACguy

Grantham returns Spurrier’s barb
7:59 pm September 14, 2010, by Tim Tucker

ATHENS — Todd Grantham took note of Saturday’s barb from Steve Spurrier –- and returned the volley Tuesday night with a reference to Spurrier’s lack of success in the NFL.

Spurrier, the South Carolina coach, poked at Grantham, the Georgia defensive coordinator and long-time NFL assistant, after Gamecocks running back Marcus Lattimore had 182 yards rushing against the Bulldogs by saying: “That little inside zone play, the NFL doesn’t run that play. That’s a new scheme, I guess.”

Grantham was asked after Georgia’s practice Tuesday if he saw Spurrier’s comment.

“Yeah, that was texted to me,” Grantham replied with a grin. “I appreciate his assistance, you know. But we actually knew what plays they were running. And they actually run that play in pro ball, and our offense actually runs that play, too. So we’re kind of on top of our game.

“It was kind of an out-of-left-field comment,” Grantham added. “I kind of took it more as a shot at the NFL. I really wasn’t sure if it was because of his lack of success there or what. So I kind of took it more like that than anything.”

Spurrier was 12-20 in two seasons as coach of the NFL’s Washington Redskins.

Grantham coached in the NFL for 11 seasons before being hired as Georgia’s defensive coordinator this year.

South Carolina beat Georgia 17-6 on Saturday.

The part in blue is funny considering Granthem struggled as DC in the NFL :rofl::rofl: . No matter what he says it not going to change the fact that Spurrier won the battle and is winning the war.

Jody Hawk

I haven't made up my mind if Grantham is all mouth or not, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
The defense sure didn't appear to be much better this past Saturday.

reylamb

The part in blue is funny considering Granthem struggled as DC in the NFL :rofl::rofl: . No matter what he says it not going to change the fact that Spurrier won the battle and is winning the war.
Well, in his defense, no pun intended, that was with the Cleveland Browns.
I haven't made up my mind if Grantham is all mouth or not, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
The defense sure didn't appear to be much better this past Saturday.
I don't know what to think either. He was fairly quiet in Big D.

I will say this though, if you look at his quote when he said:

Todd Grantham said:
So we’re kind of on top of our game.
If last weekend was the Dawg D on top of their game it is going to be a long season. The best thing to do when your D gets their teeth nocked in......keep your mouth shut so no one can see the missing teeth.

DeWalt

Banned
Well, in his defense, no pun intended,he was asked about it.

Still would have been better off letting his actions speak for him.:crazy:

Spurrier needled him and he took the bait.
The Old Ball Coach has been getting into other coaches heads for years.........:rofl::rofl:

Sugar HillDawg

I'm glad someone FINALLY needled OBC back. Honestly, what is in it for Spurrier to do this?He could talk smack at UF, he can't do it at SC cause he ain't got the players year end and year out.I guess I can put up with it, they don't beat us to often.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
I like it but talk is cheap. Lets see if he gets our boys up this weekend. I said it before SC ran the same 5 plays all game long and we could never stop it. Bobo run 3 toss sweeps and gain good yardage everytime and we don't run it the rest of the day. If can't stop it keep running it.

Bo Bo did the same thing at the Tenn game last year.... Ealy was doing very well against them and never saw the field again.

MudDucker

Staff member
Actually, his defense did look much better than Willy's in one important respect. They were in position to make the play most of the time. Poor tackling made them look bad. I imagine that will be a topic at practice this week.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I'm glad someone FINALLY needled OBC back. Honestly, what is in it for Spurrier to do this?He could talk smack at UF, he can't do it at SC cause he ain't got the players year end and year out.I guess I can put up with it, they don't beat us to often.

Spurrier is a jackleg. he's just being who and what he is. He's the guy that goes to the bar with a bunch of his bigger, tougher buddies, runs his mouth to some guy and then hides behind his buddies.

Last edited by a moderator:

paddlin samurai

Our coaches counted 42 missed tackles on Lattimore....that says it all. As far as Spurriers comments, it seems the Media boys as he likes to call them- always are trying to make something out of everything he says.

Sugar HillDawg

Yeah, EVERYTHING Spurrier has said in the past while he was at UF and USC were figments of UGA fan's imagination!! C'mon man!!!So when he jabbed at Ray Gooff back in the 90's that something must happen to all those 5 star players when they get to UGA was made up??I could go on. It's all good. We got us a coach that ain't gonna let it slide like St. Mark and I'm DIGGING it!!!Can't wait til next year when we get the chickens in Sanford Stadium!!

fairhopebama

Yeah, EVERYTHING Spurrier has said in the past while he was at UF and USC were figments of UGA fan's imagination!! C'mon man!!!So when he jabbed at Ray Gooff back in the 90's that something must happen to all those 5 star players when they get to UGA was made up??I could go on. It's all good. We got us a coach that ain't gonna let it slide like St. Mark and I'm DIGGING it!!!Can't wait til next year when we get the chickens in Sanford Stadium!!

You get em SHD. They better watch out...:rofl::rofl:haven't yall been saying that about the Gators for years now? Good luck....

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
And this would be why I despise Spurrier as much as I do. Winning is never enough for him. he has to tell you all about it afterwards. Never mind that his record at USC is nothing to brag about. In his mind, everything that he has ever done is the greatest thing that has ever happened. It's says a lot about a person when they like that guy.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
UGA still lost to USCe

and the maggots lost to Kansas............ Really????? The same Kansas that got beat by a fbs team the week before. I wouldn't throw to many stones......... Kansas.....:rofl: