GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 03-28-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Recoil charts for popular hunting rounds

Here is a new chart that shows the recoil ratings of various popular big game hunting rounds. I only put one .22 centerfire in there for comparison because I am not a big fan of them for hunting purposes - but that is another thread.

One thing to note, these are the approx FACTORY ballistics and the powder charge is approximate based off an average of the powder charges listed in the books for the approx velocity level. Some of you may say, "Well I get 3400 fps out of that load and you are showing 3200." That's fine but I have to have a standard to start with and I picked approx factory ballistics.

This is in no way a "loading guideline" for anyone. Unlike some charts (Chuck Hawks is a good example); I have assumed an 8# weight for each rifle. Some rifles may weigh more, some may weigh less - but we are comparing apples and apples here instead of a lightweight carbine against a 12# dangerous game rifle. Some might notice a heavy bullet has MORE powder than a lighter one. This is because there has never been an effort to capture the gas constant of each powder and some bullets take a SLOWER powder with a heavier bullet, thus possibly taking more powder than the lighter bullet. The .44 Magnum rifle and the shotgun load use pistol powders which have a faster gas constant speed than the rifle powders. This will make them "kick" slightly more than the same quantity of rifle speed smokeless powder.

Here they are sorted by name:

Here they are sorted by recoil:

You'll notice there is a good reason the 12g 3.5" turkey loads feel brutal... They are...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-04-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Links were broken.... Fixed...
Old 03-28-2006, 04:57 PM

Thumbs up

Good chart thanks. Less than 20# recoil for me please.
I'm a very sensitve person.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Good chart thanks. Less than 20# recoil for me please.
I'm a very sensitve person.
I read about a study the US Army did a study years ago regarding the "average" amount of recoil a recruit could handle before his shooting declined. They determined that the average shooter could handle about 20# of recoil before their shooting degraded significantly. Unfortunately, I do not have the specifics on how tests were conducted because what I read was simply a summary printed in a rifle magazine.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:02 PM

Good info 7x57. Do you have info on 12 ga. 3" mag. and also 10 ga. 3.5".
Old 03-28-2006, 06:03 PM

I added the 140g 7mm WSM for Jim. I'll come up with some other shotgun calcs tonight.

If anybody is interested in any more rounds I can add them too.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
GONetwork Member

7X57, Thanks for the post, that's some really good info.!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:22 PM

Where's the .280?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM

I have 2 ruger lt wt carbines one in .260 and the other in 7mm-o8.both shooting 140 gr Hornady ammo The 7mm-08 seems to have alot more then a 1/4 lb of recoil difference then the 260. The chart shows it having less recoil then a .260. same rifle; same weight
Old 03-29-2006, 08:56 PM

Thanks 7X57. I thougth my memory was correct and folks were beating me on the head about my little ole 338 while they were shooting 3.5 inch 12 ga shells.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:34 PM

Thanks 7x57,
I have been telling people that don't hunt Turkeys, for years how brutal the recoil was. Now I can show them this.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawken2222
Thanks 7x57,
I have been telling people that don't hunt Turkeys, for years how brutal the recoil was. Now I can show them this.

Those people will have no idea until they shoot one

Good work 7x57!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish
Thanks 7X57. I thougth my memory was correct and folks were beating me on the head about my little ole 338 while they were shooting 3.5 inch 12 ga shells.
That's why I only shoot automatics. :o
Old 03-30-2006, 04:00 PM

Folks I am 6’4” 355 pounds. I shoot a 300 whby mag in a synthetic stock, no muzzle brake, only change I made was add a slip on recoil pad to make it longer to fit me.. Now a friend of mine Notavegetarian shoots the same rifle, his has been modified, muzzle brake, weighted stock, recoil reducer, nice recoil pad it shoots like my wife’s 243, it is loud as all get out, but it don’t kick like mine, not even any muzzle rise. I will say he has tamed the recoil of that gun.

Hunting is like life Try it Mikey likes it :yeah:
Old 03-30-2006, 04:23 PM

Got it for MLs? I swear my black powder with a 150gr charge kicks harder than anything else. It sure kicks 'longer'.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Got it for MLs? I swear my black powder with a 150gr charge kicks harder than anything else. It sure kicks 'longer'.
You got that right, my TC Omega with 150gr kicks like a mule. The only thing I have shot that kicks harder is my Stoger 2000 with 3in #6 that had Max Drams of Powder. Now that bad boy will kick!!

Chris
Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 AM

Default Recoil and other such stuf'

Try the web site www.accuratereloading.com they are out of Africa but they cover ALL calibers and it is a huge site., took me a month to cover the whole thing very very interisting esp. the videos
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM

Seems like Carl's chart is missing. Here's one..http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

And if you know all your numbers, here is a calculator...http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp
Old 01-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Default 300 and 375

I am 5'8 and a little over 200 pounds and I have been shooting a 300 Weatherby Win Mag for years, without a muzzle brake and the recoil has never bothered me. I have used it on everything from yotes to black bear.

I used a 375 Mag to hunt brown bear and I did notice some recoil from this gun, but heck we are hunting and should expect a little excitement right.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 AM

What would the recoil be for the Remington 30-30 Managed Recoil rounds? I think they are 125 gr.
They advertise that they have half the recoil of normal rounds. Just curious if your calculations turn out the same.

My 8 yr old son will be using them this fall.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Default In my twenties,

I used an Ithaca 37, a light handling shotgun, with slugs for deer. I wasn't aware of recoil charts.

One time I was at the rifle range and the shooter at the next bench was an older fella who had a sand filled shotgun pellet bag against his shoulder, to reduce recoil. He was shooting a .222 varmint round.

He looked at me like I came from Mars. Fella must have had a bad shoulder.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Yall need to shoot my slug gun with 3 in slugs. Talk about recoil.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmo View Post
What would the recoil be for the Remington 30-30 Managed Recoil rounds? I think they are 125 gr.
They advertise that they have half the recoil of normal rounds. Just curious if your calculations turn out the same.

My 8 yr old son will be using them this fall.

Thanks.
I am doing some guessing on the powder charge here based on the youth loading data provided by Hodgdon.

It would appear that you will have about 5.84 ft \lbs of recoil at 6.85 fps. That would put it 2nd from lightest on the recoil chart I made.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 AM

I'm with you Phil on the recoil.To me heavy recoil takes the fun out of having fun!!!!Interesting chart 7x57.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Default I PROMISE !!

Take a British Enfield.. Remove the lovely "entire length of the rifle" stock...Change it to a synthetic stock and I PROMISE you that you will not feel 14 lbs of recoil, More like 30. The 303 is actually a British equivalent of our 30-06 only the bullet is a little bigger .311 cal. When I did this and took the Gun from 11 lbs to about 7.5 it kicked the beee- jebers outta me. I had a slip-on Stock pad AND a dish towel folded up for my protection. The key is that a well made (dense) wood stock or very high quality Symthetic stock absorbs recoil better. I have a BLR in 300 WM and it just doesn't kick bad at all. My buddy has the Ruger 77 All weather in 7mm and he cannot shoot it more than 4-5 times The recoil is so brutal. In either mine or his the round being shot just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.. My.02
Old 04-08-2007, 05:44 AM

What is the recoil of the common .577 T-Rex? How about the .220 Swift and all of the WSSM calibers?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/p...572930,00.html