Best eating fish

What's your favorite fish to eat (freshwater, of course)? You can add how ya like it cooked if necessary. Anyone for the gar patties, haha????

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Bream, jack, redhorse, and crappie.

Catfish are good. So are bass.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How do you cook that redhorse Nicodemus? Fry it??

I ate them as a child, grew up and drifted away from them, till the Buck Creek Clan re-introduced them to me. They are finely gashed, and fried in 350 degree grease. And they are fit to eat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Walleye, yellow perch, wild trout, sauger, crappie, channel cats, bream, smallmouth out of cold water, in about that order. I like some gar backstraps, too if they're done right.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yeah, I'd have to say that walleye and yellow perch are the best....closely followed by crappie, bream, catfish and bass...never ate a sauger, but I would guess it would be similar to a walleye.

krazywayne

I personally will eat any fish! but I especially enjoy crappie deep fried and some hush puppies and cole-slaw! wit a 5 gallon bucket o' sweet tea!

krazywayne

Now I have had that meal krazywayne, and it definitely is GOOD! I need to hit the waters trolling this weekend

I have seen a few trollers recently... I have been hitting Varnere hard a few weeks now for Hybrids and they are wearing the bite out!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Actually they're all pretty good if they come out of cold, clean water. Except maybe carp. Never could develop a taste for them. I've heard people say that white bass aren't any good, but if you cut that red streak out of 'em, they eat really good. Nic, I've ate redhorse and white suckers, taste good but a little bony. Hornyheads not bad either.

Lanier Jim

Southern Salmon aka - Crappie. Bream is another favorite. BUT - a good rainbow trout smoked on the Green Egg is awesome too!

LJ

krazywayne

I would like to chime in with a tie.... as much as i like crappie and cole salw and hush puppies... I must say that fried catfish over a pile of cheese grits is a close second!