GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Trail Cams

Old 11-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Default coyote pictures

Finally put my camera on a gut pile this year. Been wanting to do this for several seasons but everytime I'd kill a deer, my cameras were up in the woods so I didn't want to go and get them.

This changed a couple days ago when my son killed his buck. I had a camera at home so we put it on the remains.

On the first night nothing came to it. Buzzards did not mess with it the next day, only a few crows. These photos were from the second night. First photo of coyote was taken at 12:58 and the last photo was taken at 5:18. Remains had been dragged out of sight of camera, coyotes probably were there later.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Wow!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Administrator

That last pic has coloration like a Carolina or Yellow dog if its tail wasn't so bushy.

Cool pics. If you want to get more pics, stake the carcass so they can't drag it off.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg2 View Post
If you want to get more pics, stake the carcass so they can't drag it off.
Excellent idea.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before they would drag it out of sight of the camera but it never crossed my mind to stake it down. I will certainly do this the next time.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Them some good looking coyotes
Old 11-26-2010, 10:20 PM

They definately are some good looking dogs. Some of the prettiest ive seen.
I vote #6
Old 11-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Hillbilly Philosopher

Awesome pictures and I agree those are some of the healthiest looking coyotes I have ever seen. They really have a bounty this time of year, a gut pile totally vanishes around the house here within 48 hours. I think I will try this with a tied down carcass as someone suggested. Great ideas.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Hillbilly Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman0517 View Post
Them some good looking coyotes
You reckon we need to shoot them for eating all the gut piles up? LOL Reckon the poor ol' buzzards are a starving to death?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Pretty Dogs..................its getting cold out so someone needs to make Coats outta them K9s

AND those are the best pictures I have seen from a Cudde! Very Nice!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 AM

No such thing as a pretty 'yote! BANG BANG
Old 11-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Hillbilly Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by southGAlefty View Post
No such thing as a pretty 'yote! BANG BANG
LOL Why you so hard on them lefty?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Pulled this off my camera today...they were an hour behind a young doe
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Hillbilly Philosopher

An hour behind? Them poor ol' yotes are going to starve to death before they catch up to her! I wouldn't worry too much about that little doe... this time of year yotes has got them a whole mess of gutpiles to feast and fatten up on. They're justing hanging out nearby where the deer are waiting on that next rifle shot/dinner bell...
Old 11-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcowman View Post
An hour behind? Them poor ol' yotes are going to starve to death before they catch up to her! I wouldn't worry too much about that little doe... this time of year yotes has got them a whole mess of gutpiles to feast and fatten up on. They're justing hanging out nearby where the deer are waiting on that next rifle shot/dinner bell...
Yeah they don't do much damage.......until fawn season
Old 11-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Great shot!!! I had my deer carcass drug off by a german sheperd sized yote but I did get a few good uns first. My yotes behind my house run in grab stuff and flee, they are ratty looking though.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Hillbilly Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meekstro View Post
Yeah they don't do much damage.......until fawn season
How much do you think they are doing? What is your personal experiences and observations? Around meriwether county and the columbus area there seems to be plenty of both deer and coyotes. I have read a couple of research results that suggested that coyotes predation on fawns was was a ridiculously high number. Granted the few I have found like this had some obvious flaws present including the fact that they were very recent, short term studies that took place during the extended severe drought of the last couple of years. Their was also ample evidence of manipulation within a confined area present in one, one was extremely short in duration and covered only one fawning season, and all were either sponsored by or wholly conducted by corporations vested in some way or another in the whitetail hunting industry.

On the other hand there exists hundreds of long termed, independantly conducted (often university related), and much more extensive bodies of research that have taken place all over North America in every sort of environment possible. When I looked at this data and then compared it to the historical records that offered some form of insight into the whitetail/coyote co-habitation and century long yote migrations into the eastern U.S.... when it is all looked at objectively it seems absurd to think that the coyote population here in Ga is going to cause any sort of long term or serious depletion to our state's whitetails. All the inflated fawn predation numbers do not add up nor do they reflect this same scenario in other states?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
How much do you think they are doing? What is your personal experiences and observations? Around meriwether county and the columbus area there seems to be plenty of both deer and coyotes. I have read a couple of research results that suggested that coyotes predation on fawns was was a ridiculously high number. Granted the few I have found like this had some obvious flaws present including the fact that they were very recent, short term studies that took place during the extended severe drought of the last couple of years. Their was also ample evidence of manipulation within a confined area present in one, one was extremely short in duration and covered only one fawning season, and all were either sponsored by or wholly conducted by corporations vested in some way or another in the whitetail hunting industry.

On the other hand there exists hundreds of long termed, independantly conducted (often university related), and much more extensive bodies of research that have taken place all over North America in every sort of environment possible. When I looked at this data and then compared it to the historical records that offered some form of insight into the whitetail/coyote co-habitation and century long yote migrations into the eastern U.S.... when it is all looked at objectively it seems absurd to think that the coyote population here in Ga is going to cause any sort of long term or serious depletion to our state's whitetails. All the inflated fawn predation numbers do not add up nor do they reflect this same scenario in other states?
You might be right. However, I believe coyotes have a very negative impact on the fawn deer population and I will not hesitate to kill every coyote I can.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM

I agree with ol yoteman! They are becoming way overpopulated!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:46 AM

kill yotes kill yotes kill yotes..........
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You reckon we need to shoot them for eating all the gut piles up? LOL Reckon the poor ol' buzzards are a starving to death?

Good lookin healthy yote's. No cross breeding in that pack.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 AM

Yotes hunt the same critters I do. They definitely cause problems for turkey poults and our turkey population has been down the past ten years or so. They are not the only predator nor problem for deer fawns or turkey poults, but I will eliminate every yote I can catch in my crosshairs.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I cannot say that I have much personal experience witnessing coyotes kill fawns. I did however read some article about a study down in South Carolina or somewhere that determined a very low survival rate of fawns in areas with high coyote populations. What I have witnessed this year on my lease is coyotes chasing deer on 3 separate occasions. What this tells me is that these coyotes obviously view deer as a food source and must have some success because wild animals do not go out excerting a bunch of energy just for the fun of the chase. That would not be wise for their survival. I do not think coyotes can have high enough levels of success to severely hurt our herd as a whole, but no one can deny they do have an impact.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 PM

The coyotes are definitely working the fawns over. Shoot every one ya'll see.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM

olcowman - the research says the yotes are doing plenty of damage to our deer herd. They are NOT a native species in Georgia, breed like crazy, and need to be killed at every opportunity presented.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 AM

I wonder if all the rabbit hunters wish they could shoot all the fox (not have a season) that eat their rabbits?