GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Default Homemade Deer Drag

Here is a homemade Deer Drag i came up with after having to drag a deer through pine rows with my belt a couple weeks ago
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2010, 06:02 PM

good idea, but if you didnt braid those ropes together they will pull loose, and by the looks of it you didnt.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:02 PM

This looks good. I think I will make me one.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Years ago I made one similar. I cut a short length of garden hose and slipped the rope through it, then made the loop large enough to pull the hose up to the front of my waist. Then just lean forward and drag.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:25 PM

i have pulled about 300 lbs around with it and no sign of coming apart.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:29 PM

I used a tow strap one time when I shot a doe that was a "mile" from the road. It really saved my hands. Nice idea....
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 PM

Good job. I'm using a water ski rope with rubber coated grips that works well & is very similar to yours.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM

Looks good...I need me one like that.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 PM

I would use the Honda in your avatar...... but i am fat and lazy.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHuntAndFish View Post
Good job. I'm using a water ski rope with rubber coated grips that works well & is very similar to yours.
I've had one for years but never used it, I just wait until they get in the road then shoot them. No dragging.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Good idea. I shot my first deer this morning and had to improvise since my hunting buddy with the 4 wheeler decided to stay in bed. I had my safety harness on and hooked it to my climbers strap then around the deer's legs. It was a hands free drag, still about kicked my ... going up that long hill.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:56 PM

I did the drag for years. It's a drag!!! pun intended.

They work and all, but the inventor of the wheel would look at you funny!

A hand cart is much better in the environ you mention. Planted pines. Next step up, which I couldnt afford, would be something gas powered.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Don't let that PVC pipe bust in your hand. It will cut you deep if it does.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Location: South central part of a West Northern County in the Metro Atlanta area

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinboss01 View Post
I used a tow strap one time when I shot a doe that was a "mile" from the road. It really saved my hands. Nice idea....
I used a tow strap and a tarp one time to get a bear out of Cohutta. The tarp was the key, it reduced the friction and slid along the ground real easy.

I like the PVC and rope idea. I may have to put one of these on the must make list.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 PM

I was thinking of making one with a piece of wood closet rod for a handle. Drill a hole on each end of a piece that is around 12 to 16 inches. Take one piece of cotton or nylon rope that is 12 feet or so long. Take one end and thread the rope through the hole then tie a knot in the rope. Do the same for the other end. Instead of Glen's Deer Handle you have Horns Deer Handle.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHuntAndFish View Post
That's what I use as well. Paid $1 for it at a yard sale with about 50' of rope and a carabiner. I've never used the rope and carabiner, but I know where they are.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Eye Eddy View Post
That's what I use as well. Paid $1 for it at a yard sale with about 50' of rope and a carabiner. I've never used the rope and carabiner, but I know where they are.
Wow, whatta great deal you beat me with on my $3 clearance deal from a local store, but I quadruple the long water skier tow rope in case I need it. Glad the rubber grip handle is wide enough for 2 people to grab when dragging deer but I've thought of adding a 2nd rubber handle to make it even easier & more comfortable to use.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Did you use anything stiff inside the PVC? Looks really good!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 AM

no only made it 12" long and with the 1/2" rope inside don't know what i would put in it.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Location: South central part of a West Northern County in the Metro Atlanta area

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterstdeer View Post
no only made it 12" long and with the 1/2" rope inside don't know what i would put in it.
You could silicone one of the holes in one of the end caps to make it hold liquid, take the cap off the other end and fill it with hydraulic cement. You can get a small tub of it in the concrete section of Home Depot. Mix it up till it flows like water. It will harden in about 15 minutes.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Default Deer Drag

Wouldn't you know it stopped in KMart today and guess what they had for $14.00 two Glenns Deer Handle. Just my luck
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2010, 05:53 PM

i usually just drag them by the legs, i like the exercise anyhow it does suck when they are down a cliff tho lol. killed two this yr where took me hrs to get him out and i was exhausted. i have in a pinch slit the back legs and slide a stick thru
Old 12-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Cool

Ya know... Maybe you could or should have bought from the store. That would have been easy.

But the again, there is something to be said for passion and creativity! It's good to enjoy what you do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterstdeer View Post
Wouldn't you know it stopped in KMart today and guess what they had for $14.00 two Glenns Deer Handle. Just my luck
Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM

I was diagnosed wit Lymphoma cancer in July had two surgeries in about a month and a half time first was to cut out part of intestine because lymp nodes pinched it off then had a colapsed left lung and about a 11" cut between the ribs to get the fluid out from between the lung and ribs because it was to thick to draw out with a needle. Total 21 days in hospital so anything i can do to make things easier right now believe me i am looking for them.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Hillbilly Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesome dove View Post
I would use the Honda in your avatar...... but i am fat and lazy.
Yes sir, you'd be surprised where I can drive a 4 wheeler if it comes to me having to drag one very far! Some years ago I got a pretty good sized bear way up tear britches trail in Cohutta. After considering everything from picking the locks on the gates to biting the bullet and packing out what we could manage. (I hate being wasteful it ain't my nature but this wasn't something that could be drug out by convential means) Anyhow my cousin Billy Ray come up with a doozy... our old great Uncle Luther had a big ol' gentle mule named Sam (weighed over a 1000 pounds out of a percheron mare) that was old and retired and just standing around eating hay and getting fat.

To make a long story short he took off to Grassy Creek to borrow a horse trailer and get ol' Sam and the harness uncle luther kept in the barn while me and a school mate spent a cold night with a dead bear. He come a riding that big ol' mule up the mountain right after daylight with the trace chains, britchen and plow lines a hanging all over him. Well it took us the better part of the day to get that mule close enough to that bear to get the traces hooked up. He wasn't having nothing to do with that stanking thing and we ended up a blind folding him and twisting his ears and a walking him around in circles till we was all dizzy as drunks. We finally snuck up and got the bear hooked to him and I grabbed hold of them lines and they pulled the blind fold off of him... and away we all went. I might a made it a quarter of a mile as I had run the lines thru my overall straps and couldn't get loose from him. He bout drug all the clothes off a me before I did get undone. He kept a going and we went as fast as we could behind them (after I got my overalls and boots all back on) We got to the truck but ol' Sam had decided to keep going so we jumped in the truck and followed the trail of hair and hide plumb down thru Jone's camp and almost all the way to the paved road. (we did pass a couple of car loads of folks just sitting on the side of the road kinda looking like they was in shock or had seen a ufo or something?)We caught up with them at the crossroads only cause the bear had got tangled up with a culvert which ol" Sam was trying his best to pull up out of the road and keep going. We finally got them seperated and had to call somebody to bring a truck and load what was left of the bear up cause Sam wasn't going nowhere near the truck and trailer with the bear on it. Got Sam back to uncle Luther's finally after 10 that night and turned him out in his pasture.

Years later I seen Uncle Luther at a funeral and he said that mule stayed hid for 3 days down on the creek and that couldn't nobody catch him and put a halter on him for 5 or 6 years after that. Told me if he even opened the gate from the barn or if someone rattled a chain that Ol' Sam would take off like a rocket straight to the growed up thicket on the creek, bury up as deep as he could get his big ol' self and not come out till after dark! I guess the morale of this story is that yes a mule will pull a bear out of the woods for you... but he'll only do it one time I reckon!