Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM

Default Old Coleman Lanterns

I have spring fever and have been reminiscing about camping and Coleman Lanterns. Does anybody else like the sound of an old Coleman Lantern that makes that " auuuuugh " sound ? Forget the propane or electricity , I like the old school Coleman Lantern.

I went trout fishing years ago on Sara's Creek in NE Ga. with my ex brother -in -law. We had a great site picked out on the creek. When it got dark , I cranked up my old trusty Coleman Lantern. The sound of the lantern, stream and wildlife, that is what it is all about. Well my ex brother-in-law cranks up a massive generator and a flood light. I said what the heck to you need all that for ? All you could here is this massive generator and this god awful floodlight. Sometimes, modern is just too much. I am set in my old ways .
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM

My in-laws recently unloaded all of their old camping gear on my wife and I.

Included in it was a little old red Coleman lantern. Turns out it is a 1972 200A. A nice little collector's item. Lot's of folks collect them.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I cleaned it up. Gave it some TLC and it works like new now.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 AM

ive got 2 WWII army issue coleman lanterns with all the GI paperwork etc. I use one of them and the other stays in the box.

I even contacted coleman years ago to see if they wanted one for their museum. The jumped all over it and offered me a new dual fuel lantern in trade. I told them to stick it.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
ive got 2 WWII army issue coleman lanterns with all the GI paperwork etc. I use one of them and the other stays in the box.

I even contacted coleman years ago to see if they wanted one for their museum. The jumped all over it and offered me a new dual fuel lantern in trade. I told them to stick it.
I had a couple of military lanterns that would run on regular or unleaded gas. Come to think of it I don't know what happened to them.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 AM

I have 5 of the green 200a from the 80's and the stove from that era. I am surprised we didnt die back then as we would hang all of them over the side of the boat and idle out to the bridge to crappie fish
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Nice piece of history!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Retired Administrator

This forum member does a nice job of restoration on them.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?...leman+lanterns
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 AM

My mom worked for a sporting goods distributor in the 70s. So they (and now, I) have a lot of 70s vintage stuff including 2 Coleman lanterns and a Coleman catalytic heater.

The roar of the Coleman lantern brings back lots of memories.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Great thread,I too remember that sound.The thing is,my memory is sound combined with burnt bug smell.We used to hang them off bridges and off boats to attract shad and crappie in Lake Sinclair a bunch of years ago.When it's cold and after a brisk boatride,the heat is real nice too.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Default good stuff

Between my dad and I we have probably 8 or 10 from as far back as at least the 70s and several stoves as well. Operating the old style is a talent a lot of young campers don't have who are used to the propane types (after watching one such newbie try to get one lit I was obliged to take over before he burned his hair off). Coleman actually has an extensive catalog of replacement parts for even the older stoves and lanters, that's a really great thing about them, you can actually repair them rather than having to throw them out and replace them. It is a distinctive sound for sure, camping wouldn't be the same without it for me.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Back when I was 13 years old six of us pitched in $0.50 a piece to buy a coleman stove at a yard sale, this was in 1972. I ended up with it. It is a 1950 model. Still works.

Funny thing about this is that this stove has been up north to Canada to down south to Mexico. Out west to CA and east to SC. All families of us six kids used it for vacations, fishing, hunting, and camping trips. It was taken all over. I guess I got it last.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM

I also have several old lanterns, no red ones.

Use this web site to find out the year your model coleman product was made.

http://www.colemancollectorsclub.com/tech.htm
Old 03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

I bought 3 of the old green ones last year at a yard sale for a family friend who prefers them to propane. I paid $5 for all 3 of them. He burns regular unleaded gasoline in them instead of the $10/can coleman fuel.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM

I use mine all the time when I`m night digging for artifacts. I never cared for the propane either.I always have my fuel and extra socks for it
Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
So what were you wanting, thosands of dollars. Why did you even waste their time.

Back to the subject....I have 2 of the older ones and a newer dual fuel.

I remember once up in Georgia I stopped to get gas and when I got done with the truck I decided to throw a few pennies of gas in the dual fuel. A deputy comes pulling into the parking lot sees me and then backs up and rolls down his window. After several long seconds he gives me "You are a idiot boy"

I told him what it was and pulled out the box it came in. After he looked at it he then said sorry for the idiot comment, that is a good idea right there.

Something about the hiss of a Coleman lantern that brings back some great memories. Also they are one of the best things to use instead of a flashlight for tracking at night.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
So what were you wanting, thosands of dollars. Why did you even waste their time.

Back to the subject....I have 2 of the older ones and a newer dual fuel.

I remember once up in Georgia I stopped to get gas and when I got done with the truck I decided to throw a few pennies of gas in the dual fuel. A deputy comes pulling into the parking lot sees me and then backs up and rolls down his window. After several long seconds he gives me "You are a idiot boy"

I told him what it was and pulled out the box it came in. After he looked at it he then said sorry for the idiot comment, that is a good idea right there.

Something about the hiss of a Coleman lantern that brings back some great memories. Also they are one of the best things to use instead of a flashlight for tracking at night.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM

We used to run Amoco white gas in em.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ringer View Post
I have spring fever and have been reminiscing about camping and Coleman Lanterns. Does anybody else like the sound of an old Coleman Lantern that makes that " auuuuugh " sound ? Forget the propane or electricity , I like the old school Coleman Lantern.
Yep, same here. Sitting around the campfire, listening to the lantern and the stove hiss while waiting for the chili or stew to be done, that's the ticket...
Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 AM

I used my old Coleman to light my fishing rods when I was night fishing for cats. I would have all my rods tight lined in a row. I had a shield on my lantern to block the glare. We would sit there all night staring for the smallest movement of a rod tip while listening to that old lantern sing.

Another memory is going camping and leaving the lantern turned on low , so that no monsters would come into camp while we were sleeping. Sometime during the night, the lantern would run low on fuel. The lantern would get dim and bright again over and over. It would make a wicked sound trying to stay on. This would take several minutes until it finally gave out.

I may have to go on Ebay and buy me a couple old gooden's for old times sake.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:26 PM

I specifically remember the smell of the burnt insects. I can't eat a vienna sausage without getting a whiff of that in my mind.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Here's a pic of my old red one that I restored...

Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 PM

pnome....great job. Can't remember but did the greens one all just have glass that was a tube shape instead of what you have there.

It seems like in later years the mantles became of lesser quality. My dad always like to brag about how he had the same mantles on for a few years which for getting used about 25-30 weekends in a year was pretty darn good.

First rule he told me and my brother...."Do not touch the mantle, do not breath on the mantle, do not bump the lantern while the mantle is lit, do not even look at the mantle when it is not lit." Back then you were not running right down the road out in the boonies to pick up a new one. The mantles were the lifeblood of camp and destroying one was a serious issue.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Coleman changed the way they made mantles in the early 1990's to remove the radioactive element thorium. It's widely agreed that the newer mantles aren't as durable, despite claims to the contrary by Coleman.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Coleman changed the way they made mantles in the early 1990's to remove the radioactive element thorium. It's widely agreed that the newer mantles aren't as durable, despite claims to the contrary by Coleman.
Well they can claim different but yep it was in the 90's when I noticed the least little thing could destroy them.

Funniest thing I ever saw with a Coleman Lantern was back in the late eighties bowhunting at Three Lakes in Florida. A guy a few camps over lit his lantern and it flared up on him and he decided to pick it up and wing it in the woods cause he thought it was gonna explode.

I am yelling "Nooooooo!!!!!" as we watch the fireball hit the palmettos. After about 25 scorched acres and the Division of Forestry bringing in one of thier swamp plows he kinda packed up and left quick like
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Well they can claim different but yep it was in the 90's when I noticed the least little thing could destroy them.

Funniest thing I ever saw with a Coleman Lantern was back in the late eighties bowhunting at Three Lakes in Florida. A guy a few camps over lit his lantern and it flared up on him and he decided to pick it up and wing it in the woods cause he thought it was gonna explode.

I am yelling "Nooooooo!!!!!" as we watch the fireball hit the palmettos. After about 25 scorched acres and the Division of Forestry bringing in one of thier swamp plows he kinda packed up and left quick like

I`ve "dusted" more mantles than I will ever admit too. You fellers done inspired me. I dug out my old Model 275 yesterday, cleaned it up inside and out, and got it up and burnin`. It`s the only Coleman lantern I can remember that is painted brown. I bought that thing back in the mid 70s.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM

Nic....never seen a brown Coleman, just red, green and gray. Post up a pic.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Nic....never seen a brown Coleman, just red, green and gray. Post up a pic.

It`s the only one I have ever seen too, Scott. I`ll take a pic tomorrow and put it on this thread. I bought that thing at the hardware store in Palatka Florida, on HWY 20. I think it was an Ace Hardware?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM

I will confess to having a semi-sorta-addiction to almost all of the coleman products..but mostly the lanterns,i have more than 1 man could ever use,need or even want ...and yet...if i see 1 for sale at a yard sale/flea market i just have to stop and look at it..even pump it up and turn the knob just to check the regulator and the pump..just to hear the hiss of the gas.

Amazing how cheaply some people sell them..bought 1 from the 70's with abox from a local hardware store and the receipt in the box..i held it up and asked the lady "How much for the lantern?(my wife just rolled her eyes)..the lady says..."How about$4 dollars?

I paid her and walked to the truck with my find of the day..brought it home and put it on the shelf in the garage next to the others...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Retired Administrator

Scott, here is the lantern I was talkin` about.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Default brown lanterns

I seem to recall that I have a backpack size lantern that is brown, I will have to dig it out to check now! I rarely use it because haven't been backpack camping in a while.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Hay Nic,

Did that one come with a clam shell hard case?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnome View Post
Hay Nic,

Did that one come with a clam shell hard case?

Pnome, to be honest, I don`t remember if it did or not. I don`t think so, because for several years I kept it stored in the cardboard box that it came in.

That red one of yours looks really good.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
First rule he told me and my brother...."Do not touch the mantle, do not breath on the mantle, do not bump the lantern while the mantle is lit, do not even look at the mantle when it is not lit." Back then you were not running right down the road out in the boonies to pick up a new one. The mantles were the lifeblood of camp and destroying one was a serious issue.

Me too!

The new mantles today don't last for squat. I can't get the mantles for my dual fuels to make it a whole deer season.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Retired Administrator

I got some mantles a while back that had wire, instead of string, to tie them to the gas ports. I don`t like them either.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Nic I have a brown 275 just like that one. Broke the glass and have never found a replacement. Got it in the 70's as a christmas present.

And no i didnt want much for the wwii lantern from coleman but I thought a $20.00 coupon for trade was a slap in the face.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Most of my old pump lanterns have been stolen over the years. I guess that I should have taken better care. I did purchase a 63 model at a yard sale several years ago. Cost $1.00 with 2 packs of mantels. Turn those old lanterns over and the year will be embossed on the bottom. As a youngster, I think the mantels were made of silk and were pretty fragile.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Hey Nic...cool pic. Never saw a brown one. kinda goes with the avocado green appliances and shag carpeting back in the day..
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Here's a photo of the Army model with book
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Back in the 60's when I was a kid we camped all the time. Had a Cox pop up camper and outside uncountable weekend trips spent three weeks going to Key West and all though Florida, and two other three week trips up the east coast to bath, Maine including a stop at the 1964 World's Fair in New York City.

Had two Coleman lanterns and a stove we used the entire time. I still can remember laying in the camper going to sleep listening to those lanterns hissing as my parents stayed up talking. Don't know how many nights I went to sleep with that hissing sending me off into the arms of Morpheus.

I can remember if you turned the valve on a bit to early or the match went out and to much gas was expelled before you could light the lantern it would make a big pop sound and look like the space shuttle blasting off - same thing with the stove. OF course that sent Dad into fits of snorting and cussing. Once my mother was lighting the stove and a big flame blasted up burning her hair do a little bit so after that Dad or I had to lite it. For the second burner you turned it on with a key looking thing that stuck out on the other end.

In the late 80's when my kids and I started camping I got all that out and in testing the lanterns the seals around the tank cap and other places were so dry that as you pumped them gas came hissing out so I tossed them and went to new propane lanterns and stove. Also I did not miss all that pumping and adjusting - just a little turn of the knob and hit the self lighting button and you were done.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM

I used to run Amoco white gas in my Coleman lantern also. I bought a shade for mine that bolts onto the lantern and used it for Flounder gigging. The salt water finally ate it up so bad it was useless, but it did give off a wonderful light for fishing and camping. Yeah I always liked the hiss the old lantern made while using it.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Good thread,good memories!

Thanks,3ringer!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Admin

Quote:
Nic I have a brown 275 just like that one. Broke the glass and have never found a replacement. Got it in the 70's as a christmas present.

And no i didnt want much for the wwii lantern from coleman but I thought a $20.00 coupon for trade was a slap in the face.
Here you go. The globe is only $11.95. I ordered parts for my dual fuels from them today.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/parts...uct_id=275-710
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Oh yes, I got a green one, runs off just the fluid though. I found a box of the tie on mantles at Dicks on clearance for 3 bucks...
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 PM

We were crappie fishing many years ago and my late cousin Hardtimes was pumping up the coleman and failed to tighten the tank lid.Well when he lite the lantern, you know how they flair up a bit, so he didnt notice at first that his pants were on fire too. The lantern was dripping fire, his hand and pants on fire, he finely dropped it in the lake and beat his pants out. When he would tell this story over the years he always added that later in the night he hung a biggun and when he got it to the surface it was the lantern and it was still burning. Also that night, he got his new Zebco 1 reel and eagle claw rod snatched in the lake before he could grab it and hung on the bottom trying to snag his lost rod and reel and broke that rod, he got mad and threw the rest of the broke rod and reel in with the lantern and the new Zebco. I laughed so hard I thought I was going in too.