GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk

Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Default My family's Neil Cost Call Collection - I have a few questions

I've occasionally looked at the various forums over the years where people talk about their Neil Cost Turkey Calls and their respective value. I have always know they were something special, but I'm beginning to think we have something really special. My Dad began buying Cost Calls and like turkey hunting itself, he did it with an obsession. He bought call after call. Finally He and Neil became friends. Neil started coming down to our property and hunting with us and having dinner at the house. From then on Neil would just send call after call to my Dad. This went on for years. When the dust settled he, my wife and I had over 30 calls. Box Calls, Boat Paddle Calls, and his later version called Paddle Calls after he sold the rights to the Boat Paddle. In addition he sent my Dad dozens upon dozens of blanks and partially finished calls for him to tinker with. He also gave my dad a Video Tape of Making Box Calls, signed, dated, and marked #2 in the limited edition. We have calls out of just about every type of wood. Various versions of the calls as well. Some made for my Dad, some for me, and a couple for my wife.

Now most of these calls are now tucked away in safe deposit boxes, but many I just hunt with. Too many! They get sat on, dropped, used in the rain, forgot and left in the woods for days by my son. I guess for me they have just always been what you go in the woods with and not something you collect. Is a collection of this size common among the people who were friends with Neil and not just a customer? Any idea on what to do with a collection like this? Any particular ones I need to really protect other than the actual Boat Paddles? Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Whoah. I'd like to see some pics. Sounds impressive!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM

You could send me a couple of them and I could keep em safe for you..I would also love to see some pics!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Contact Gobbling lawyer, he is a collector, most any genuine Cost call is worth big bucks $1500. maybe, they were up in the 2-3k range shortly after his death. His last call the fat lady sings??, I believe was the name went for 10k or so on an e-bay auction. I have 1 he built for me and have hunted with it but now it sits in a special place. You may have a nice retirement fund there.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM

I would say you are sitting on a real piece of history...as hard as it is I would refrain from using them in the woods and would keep them in a very safe place. I would also suggest having them appraised and insured for the appropriate value. I am sure we would all like to see a group or individual pictures of all the calls. Paddle or checked calls go for $1200-1500 ea. Hen Tricks $500-800, Slate Call, Case and Strikers go for $300-500. All these prices are ballpark figures. Anything unique or different about a call or personal inscriptions like "personal call" inscribed on the call or under the lid will make them more valuable!

I would contact Gobblinglawyer (Dalton) or one or more of three other large call collectors. If you send me a PM I can give you names and phone numbers to at least two of them.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Insure them for absolute sure!

man that is an amazing story. If you have time, we would all LOVE to see a few pictures of the collection. What an amazing collection. I'd venture to say you are sitting on one of the largest collections of his calls in the world....and yes, they are all worth a lot...even the ones you sat on.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 PM

interesting first post.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM

I would love to see the collection. That's amazing! Not sure that's something I'd be asking on a public forum?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Can you tell us more about the hunts and relationship with Neil? You are very fortunate to have these memories, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Whoa,the blanks and partly finished calls are worth a great deal as well I bet!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Wow is all I can say! I know a few people who can help ya! I connect them to the link.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Default pics????

WoW just sitting around on wet neil cost calls. Gonna need to see those pics. Can you post a pic with you sitting on one.

Last edited by Toddmann; 03-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM

The more I think about this thread, the more excited I get. I have been thinking about it since I saw it. I would love to see these calls. If you don't want to put them out there for the public, pm me some pics of em if you don't mind. That has to be one of the rarest collections I've ever heard of! Very cool!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM

WOW is right....you're sitting on a gold mine in terms of collectable calls and I'd think what has to be one of the best NC collections.

Whats even greater is the story behind this and your dads realtionship with Mr Cost and how this all came about..
Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

There are collections out there that hold more of Neil's calls than 30 boxes.

I would love to see some photos. Especially of the blanks and partially finished calls......
Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Timber rattler
I may have met you at the old original bargain barn many years ago at 1 of their turkey weekends/ calling contests. I was talking to another fellow a Dentist I knew who had a matching pair of Neils calls in cedar, when a guy came up and started talking to us and told us pretty much what you just said in your post about your relation with Neil. this would have been in early to mid 1980s. I thought about this, this afternoon after I posted at lunchtime.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Neil Cost

Yes there are other excellent collections and thank God I have had the collection of seeing and playing one. I have a similar story about an old gentleman in north georgia who was friends with Mr. Cost.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM

I hope this post is the truth. I would love to see those pics.

Last edited by Nicodemus; 03-10-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: accusation
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhit View Post
Whoah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killdee View Post
may have met you at the old original bargain barn
My post is what made you think of it, isn't it?

Remember those old signs? "Whoa!!! you're almost at the bargain barn."
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
My post is what made you think of it, isn't it?

Remember those old signs? "Whoa!!! you're almost at the bargain barn."
Yeah..I bet that was it..... I sure miss the old BB and the original owners. Then get a couple burgers from the little joint next door.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

I miss doing business with Ms. Jane...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Yeah, it was good back then. That place was a part of my childhood! We would go down the road and get lunch at 2 brother's bbq. bargain barn isn't worth going to anymore, but 2 brother's still is.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it was good back then. That place was a part of my childhood! We would go down the road and get lunch at 2 brother's bbq. bargain barn isn't worth going to anymore, but 2 brother's still is.
Can't agree more, my favorite guy there used to work guns and now is in the shoe department and Mickey that used to work there is now at Timberghost, I just give him a shout up there if I'm looking for anything now
Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM

wow .. im sayin .. amazing 1st post here ...

Ive found alot of turkey calls laying around in the woods ...
I ve never found a NC call ..lol .

- as others Id just want see.... sounds like you have a great collection .
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM

I have a friend in North Carolina that has a similar story as yours.

Neil and he became very good friends and whenever Neil was in that area he would stay at his house. Neil made him some very special calls that were one of a kind. He also made special calls for his children and told them to put them away. Made them calls to use also. Last time I was there the guy pulled out a box of about 30 box call lids Neil sent him after he broke one Neil had and told him to find one he liked.

My personal opinion on the uncompleted calls are if they are not signed they may be of more value to have someone like a Lamar Williams or a Steve Mann finish the calls. That would surely make them special.

Just depends on how partially finished and how much your Dad tinkered with them.

The boat paddles, if square cut inside could be up in the $3000-$4000 range maybe higher depending on dates, woods and what's wrote on them.

Some of the regular box calls might not be worth what they were several years ago. Prices seemed to have leveled off and even come down a bit. Like everything else it's what someone is willing to pay. The rarer the call the more it should bring.

At least post a couple pictures for us less fortunate.............