How tall was Goliath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at 1Samuel 17 and ponder this D vs G parable. Where does Goliath stack up in the all time list of giants?

Bigger than Andre?
Andre-the-Giant-09.jpg

Taller than Manute Bol?
bolhospitalized.jpg

Robert Wadlow - tallest man ever. No way he was taller than this guy.
robert-wadlow.jpg

gordon 2

Goliath means "Exile"if I recall. Exile is tall and wide, much taller and wider than any man.

groundhawg

Sorry just messing with you on giving the cubits and a span - anyway a cubit was 18 inches and a span 6 inches so 6X18=108inches and add the 6 inches for a span a total of 114 inches which would be 9 feet 6 inches tall.

Have not been able to find any information on his weight.

Last edited:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
How tall was Goliath laying flat on his back??

:yeah:

How tall was Darwin?:rofl:

I'm not sure why you lack the self-control necessary to resist the urge to cause trouble by injecting irrelevant, immature remarks such as the above into a thread. Do you know why?

Sorry just messing with you on giving the cubits and a span - anyway a cubit was 18 inches and a span 6 inches so 6X18=106inches and add the 6 inches for a span a total of 115 inches which would be 9 feet 7 inches tall.

Have not been able to find any information on his weight.

Thanks. By the givens, I'm coming up with 108" + 6"=114"
which is 9ft 6 inches. At any rate, I wonder why we've never seen anybody that tall since. I find it suspicious that the biggest guy in the bible is the biggest to have ever lived.

gtparts

If it helps, he was a head shorter after he died.

rjcruiser

Thanks. By the givens, I'm coming up with 108" + 6"=114"
which is 9ft 6 inches. At any rate, I wonder why we've never seen anybody that tall since. I find it suspicious that the biggest guy in the bible is the biggest to have ever lived.

What makes you think he was the biggest to have ever lived?

By your own admission, you've given us Robert Wadlow above. He was pushing 9 ft tall (officially, 8 ft 11.5 inches) when he died at the young age of 22 due to an infection. He was still growing.

Also, these men were from a certain family....genetic tree. They were almost all wiped out by Joshua....obviously, not all were as Goliath and 4 others are mentioned in I Samuel. But, as populations grew, battles were fought and races intermingled, the genetic purity of these giants would have been mixed with that of normal sized people. And over time, the height avg lowers.

Makes perfect sense to me....but again, I'm just an ignorant Bible believing Christian.;)

What makes you think he was the biggest to have ever lived?

By your own admission, you've given us Robert Wadlow above. He was pushing 9 ft tall (officially, 8 ft 11.5 inches) when he died at the young age of 22 due to an infection. He was still growing.

He was taller than Wadlow by precisely 7 inches. Wadlow's in the Guinness Book as tallest man. That's why I say he's the tallest. Tallest documented. Why aren't you making the same case?

Thanks for keeping Wadlow in the picture too. Poor guy was disabled by his size. It makes me think at 9'6", Goliath wouldn't have made much of a warrior. The bible is the truth though right? What's your take?

Also, these men were from a certain family....genetic tree. They were almost all wiped out by Joshua....obviously, not all were as Goliath and 4 others are mentioned in I Samuel. But, as populations grew, battles were fought and races intermingled, the genetic purity of these giants would have been mixed with that of normal sized people. And over time, the height avg lowers.

Why rjcruiser, are you suggesting they evolved in some manner?

Makes perfect sense to me....but again, I'm just an ignorant Bible believing Christian.;)

:biggrin2:

Rich Kaminski

He don't scare me. The bear in my avatar is bigger than he was!

rjcruiser

He was taller than Wadlow by precisely 7 inches. Wadlow's in the Guinness Book as tallest man. That's why I say he's the tallest. Tallest documented. Why aren't you making the same case?
Because the GBWR wasn't established until the 50's and really doesn't go back that far or reach everyone on the world. It truly is a small % of the population.

Six million dollar ham said:
Thanks for keeping Wadlow in the picture too. Poor guy was disabled by his size. It makes me think at 9'6", Goliath wouldn't have made much of a warrior. The bible is the truth though right? What's your take?
Yes...the Bible is the truth. And Goliath wasn't much of a warrior after all, was he. ;)

Six million dollar ham said:
Why rjcruiser, are you suggesting they evolved in some manner?

Of course genetic mutations and evolution occurs. You get a white person to breed with a black person and you get a baby with a lighter complexion. Is that too difficult for a scholar like you to understand?

Six...you really do love to troll around in here. You come off as holier than thou when confronted about it, yet your true motives can't be hidden. All it takes is one serious reply and your back to your usual self. :rolleyes:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Six...you really do love to troll around in here. You come off as holier than thou when confronted about it, yet your true motives can't be hidden. All it takes is one serious reply and your back to your usual self. :rolleyes:

You must be hallucinating. I'm answering you, who appears to be the only one (on your team; besides groundhawg) offering up refutation or challenge, ie, debate. The only potstirring in this thread has been by christians like Christianhunter and RonnieT. I made sure to smack them into their place too. So please stay on topic here and quit trying to make every thread about me. I realize that's much easier than actually trying to engage in any meaningful discourse, but just resist the urge to go there.

At any rate, after further review, I retract any assertion that Goliath was tallest...Og, king of Bashan was clearly taller if his bedframe is any sort of guide.

Deuteronomy 3:11 - Only Og king of Bashan was left of the remnant of the Rephaites. His bed was made of iron and was more than thirteen feet long and six feet wide. It is still in Rabbah of the Ammonites.

:banana: Now that's a giant!

So here's another question - if Moses killed Og, why do Christians make such a fuss over David killing the much smaller Goliath? Why do we have a goliath beetle and not an og beetle?

Status
Not open for further replies.