Snakeheads! (Just putting this out there)

TBass

Not sure if anyone has seen them, or if it's news to anyone or not, but I shot a snakehead in the Chattahoochee tonight. It was a good 6-7 lb fish. Pretty nasty dude! I know in some places people are keeping their eyes open for them so I can confirm them up to at least the Columbus, GA area.

7 point

if you see one kill it they will destory your fish population.

TBass

I got pics. I know bowfins....this wasn't a bowfin. Why is this site not letting me post pics though.....?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I put pics in my album on my profile.

It's a bowfin. Snakeheads have a long anal fin like the dorsal fin.

Here is a good reference:

Attachments

• snakeheadbowfin.jpg
    snakeheadbowfin.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 7,764

TBass

Great! See! My immediate thought was "bowfin" but I was with a self-proclaimed "snakehead expert" that was showing me that it was a snakehead.......sigh......! I guess I didn't do my part to control the snakehead problem after all. Sorry guys! False alarm....

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Great! See! My immediate thought was "bowfin" but I was with a self-proclaimed "snakehead expert" that was showing me that it was a snakehead.......sigh......! I guess I didn't do my part to control the snakehead problem after all. Sorry guys! False alarm....

They look similar. :cheers: I am glad it was a bowfin and not the other.

Hut2

bowfin?

Glad it wasn't a snake head too.

Attachments

• DSC01290.jpg
    DSC01290.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 7,115

TBass

I am too! We have very few bowfins where I moved from and the arrival of snakeheads is way out, so I'm still trying to get used to all these new species. The few bowfins I have seen in my life were almost white. I know the species I'm NOT supposed to stick an arrow through, everything else is always debatable as far as what kind of "sucker" or "fin" or "head" it is. I know my gar, but these other crazy species y'all have down here in the south is taking some getting used to! Lol! You never know what you'll see under the lights at midnight around here!

fish hawk

Bass Master
Did you lip it???:biggrin2:I like the spot on their tail,it's cool lookin!!!In the days of my youth we usta fish this small creek outside of Norman Park,it was loaded with big mudfish and big gar too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m gonna have to be mighty hungry to eat a blackfish.

S

smessler34

next time yall catch one .....poke his eyes out and turn him loose so he can go back and tell all his buddies he just cant "see" living here ! and they will all pack up and move on lol!.........down here they are called mudfish. i caught one last year on a flyrod that was 29 inches! them jokers can pull! ...anyway the game and fish fellas ask us to throw em on the bank and let the buzzards eat em because they are not native and are a sevear threat to the "gamefish" population

TBass

next time yall catch one .....poke his eyes out and turn him loose so he can go back and tell all his buddies he just cant "see" living here ! and they will all pack up and move on lol!.........down here they are called mudfish. i caught one last year on a flyrod that was 29 inches! them jokers can pull! ...anyway the game and fish fellas ask us to throw em on the bank and let the buzzards eat em because they are not native and are a sevear threat to the "gamefish" population

Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----!!!! Nice....! I'm seeing them quite often just bowfishing from the banks. I can't imagine how many I'd see if I were on a boat! The hooch must be loaded with 'em!