GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Default Ruger 44 Carbine - Good short range deer gun ?

I hunt in an area on small food plots where my longest shot would be a maximum of 50 yds. What do you fellas think of a Ruger 44 carbine in this situation ?

Thanks
Gumswamp
Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 AM

It would be effective enough, but I wouldn't buy one just for hunting. Way too many better choices. If you already have one or just want one to accompany your 44 revolver, then I would use it, I guess.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM

It makes a very good Deer or hog gun out to 50 yards and a descent one out to 100 yards.

My first Deer rifle was a Ruger 44 Mag Carbine. Wish I still had it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 AM

IME it's great for deer, especially in thick stuff. In thick stuff you can't see that far normally and the mass of the bullet helps it stay on target through brush.

I've seen a deer shot through brush at about 30 yards. The deer was laying down looking up at the stand, then turned it's head to look behind itself. The shot was taken. It went through the neck back in to the gut and stopped right under the skin on the opposite ham. Two entries, one exit.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Decent short-range deer gun, but I wouldn't buy one just for deer hunting. A .30/30 will give you more power for the same situation. A few of the guys I used to bear hunt with carried them for shooting treed bears.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Sounds good. Put a decent red dot on it and you've got a fine brush gun.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM

I had one years ago and finally got disgusted with the magazine issues and sold it. Honestly, I have never missed it.......YMMV
Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Default ruger

I got the new 77/44 bolt-action carbine to go with my 44 mag SBH. I hunt some small openings, it should do the trick.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Good gun imo.....Handloaded and
killed deer with mine for 20 yrs...
Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Look at the worthiness of the cartridge itself. The .44 Magnum can be loaded with bullets ranging from 180-300 grains. A 180 gr bullet load that runs 1250 fps from an 8-inch S&W revolver can be run up to nearly 2000 fps in a rifle.

The .44 bullet is nearly 50 percent larger in diameter than .30-caliber bullets. It uses only two-thirds the powder, making it more economical to reload and shoot. Actually, it's probably a pretty good gun/cartridge combo out to 100yds.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM

carried several 44 mag rifles over the years.. Ruger Carbine and a 1894 Marlin

handloaded with Hornady 240Gr hp it was flat deadly on deer. out to 75 yards it is way more than enough. never had a deer move more than 30 feet with a well placed round into the lungs. Vast majority were DRT

both rifles were very light weight and a pleasure to carry.

of the two I preferred the Marlin but my wife hunted with a Ruger carbine for years.

just my experience with the 44 and deer
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Why buy a rifle in a handgun cartridge for deer hunting? I have no problem with using one if that's what you want, but to purposely buy one for deer when you can do so much better in the same size package just doesn't make sense to me? I've got a carbine in 45 Colt. It's a great little rifle, and I love shooting it. I can load it up with a magnum load and hunt with it, but why? I can take my .257 Rbts carbine or my 16" 6.8 spc and be so much better prepared. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdog View Post
Why buy a rifle in a handgun cartridge for deer hunting? I have no problem with using one if that's what you want, but to purposely buy one for deer when you can do so much better in the same size package just doesn't make sense to me? I've got a carbine in 45 Colt. It's a great little rifle, and I love shooting it. I can load it up with a magnum load and hunt with it, but why? I can take my .257 Rbts carbine or my 16" 6.8 spc and be so much better prepared. Just my 2 cents.
For someone keeping things simple it can definitely make sense. If you already have a .44 handgun, ammo, dies, reloading compnents, etc. it lets you keep things to a minimum. The rifle adds better hit potential with better aiming. It adds better ballistics by adding more barrel to burn powder in. (You can actually approach .30-30 energy and penetration in a bullet with a larger starting diameter with the right loads.) With good bullet selection you can use them on small game, load shotshells for snakes, or have heavy enough loads for hogs, or small black bear. It has performance as good as many black powder guns that put meat on the table as well.

You just took a pistol round and improved it just by putting it in a light and handy carbine.

The user must learn the limitations, and realize it's not a flat shooting long range laser beam, but as woods guns go they are handy and plenty powerful for deer sized game. I too would prefer a levergun in this chambering, but .44 mag can be a decent carbine round for hunting or general purpose outdoor gun use.

Yes for the shooter with several tools to choose from there are better tools specifically for deer. A .257 Roberts or it's parent 7x57 Mauser will add some serious reach for longer shots. A .44 Mag would definitely fall short for 300 yd shots at Elk out West, or even 200-400 yds shots at pronghorn. But for deer in Georgia woods and shots at 100 yds and under, I don't think he'd be under gunned with good ammo.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM

The huge advantages of a Ruger 44mag carbine are light weight, and short size for quick handling. Our deer and hog drivers love them. Range is short, the carbine with a bright front sight dot (and maybe a ghost ring rear sight) points like a shotgun. For stand hunting, a more conventional rifle may be better.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM
UAEC

Are you talking about the later model lever action Ruger or the old autos? The automatics are beginning to get hard to find parts for as the old aluminum trigger housings tend to fail with time.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren View Post
I had one years ago and finally got disgusted with the magazine issues and sold it. Honestly, I have never missed it.......YMMV

Magazine ??????
A Ruger 44 carbine does not use magazines ?????
At least mine don't......
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Mag Hunter View Post
Magazine ??????
It has a tubular magazine. If it wasn't feeding correctly, then it probably just needed a full cleaning.

I killed my first 4 deer with a Ruger .44 Carbine and 240 grain SJHP's. I still have one of them but don't hunt with it anymore.

As others have said, great gun out to about 50 yards. With the right load and scope, it can cleanly kill deer even past that. My aunt killed a nice buck at 94 steps with one back in the 80's. She misjudged the distance and shot farther than she intended to, but it did the job.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM
UAEC

The lever action model Ruger does use box magazines. The auto's trigger housing holds the tube magazine in place. The front of the housing is a small aluminum tab about a quarter inch thick and a quarter inch in protrusion. When this weakens with age the mag tube gets loose and the gun begins to have feeding problems.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Eye Eddy View Post
It has a tubular magazine. If it wasn't feeding correctly, then it probably just needed a full cleaning.

I killed my first 4 deer with a Ruger .44 Carbine and 240 grain SJHP's. I still have one of them but don't hunt with it anymore.

As others have said, great gun out to about 50 yards. With the right load and scope, it can cleanly kill deer even past that. My aunt killed a nice buck at 94 steps with one back in the 80's. She misjudged the distance and shot farther than she intended to, but it did the job.
The new version of the carbine uses a magazine.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 PM

my girlfriend killed a corn fed indiana buck with a ruger 77/44 using leverevolution loads @ 80 yds. he might as well have been shot with a .300 win mag, because he was just as dead! the buck is in my avatar.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Mag Hunter View Post
Magazine ??????
Where does the second, third, fourth shot come from on an autoloading rifle????

The original .44 carbine certainly did have a magazine.....just like the Marlin 1894 has a magazine.....think tubular.

My carbine's magazine was a problem from Day 1 regardless of whether or not it was clean, if it rained, if it was sunny, any day of the week and maybe twice on Sunday, factory ammo, hand loaded ammo, warm weather, cold weather........you get the idea...total junk.

And, as much as I like Ruger.....they were no help either.

After dumping the Ruger, I bought a Marlin 1894 that has been everything that I sincerely wanted the Ruger to be. I like the handgun caliber carbines as I am not really a rifle person. I have rifles in rifle calibers and shoot them some, but I have just never been able to get "into" them for hunting or just shooting because I don't personally find it challenging to make hits on animals with rifle calibers and I don't really get enjoyment out of shooting extremely small groups. JMO

Last edited by JWarren; 05-07-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 AM

I hunted with the old tub magazine 44 carbine (jam-o-matic). I hated to give it up but after 3 trips back to Ruger, they even gave up.
Now I hunt with the new (discontinued) Ruger Deerfield carbine model 99/44 with the detachable magazine. It is not as light and graceful as the old carbine, but it functions flawlessly.
I prefer to hunt on my feet and this gun is perfect for me. It is light, fast, and brings them down with one shot. I use 240 grain soft points.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM

They ALL use a magazine.
The 99/44 Deerfield has a detachable one.

They are great close action stalking rifles. Be aware the Deerfield magazines will not allow the use of some of the heavies due to OAL constraints. The one I owned was a consistant shooter that would give good groups with 240gr JSP loads. Never had a problem.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren View Post
Where does the second, third, fourth shot come from on an autoloading rifle????

The original .44 carbine certainly did have a magazine.....just like the Marlin 1894 has a magazine.....think tubular.

My carbine's magazine was a problem from Day 1 regardless of whether or not it was clean, if it rained, if it was sunny, any day of the week and maybe twice on Sunday, factory ammo, hand loaded ammo, warm weather, cold weather........you get the idea...total junk.

And, as much as I like Ruger.....they were no help either.

After dumping the Ruger, I bought a Marlin 1894 that has been everything that I sincerely wanted the Ruger to be. I like the handgun caliber carbines as I am not really a rifle person. I have rifles in rifle calibers and shoot them some, but I have just never been able to get "into" them for hunting or just shooting because I don't personally find it challenging to make hits on animals with rifle calibers and I don't really get enjoyment out of shooting extremely small groups. JMO
Never had any problems with the tubular magazine in mine....Thought you were referring to a box type mag....
Can't see where the tubular type mag is as prone to problems like the box type mag.....Unless maybe it had dirt
inside it....
Old 05-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Gone but not forgotten

I have a Winchester 94 in .44 mag, really just got it to go with my .44 mag Vaquero and Super Blackhawk. My primary deer guns are a 30-06 Tikka T3 and 45-70 Marlin 1895G.