Best Silencer

Clipper

I am tired of trying to keep my cat whisker string silencers untangled. Is there a consensus among recurve shooters as to the best type of silencer. I shoot a Martin X-200 at 50#, flemish string.

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
Never had ah problem with the cats. There quite and waterproof. Just like the looks of puff style. Wool, muskox and stuff like that better.

frankwright

I never had a problem with the rubber cat whiskers either and I usually made mine out of bulk spinner bait material.
When I was bass fishing a lot we would put baby powder on the real rubber skirts to keep them from sticking together.

Now I just make silencers from 100% wool yarn. It only takes a couple of minutes to make a pair and lots of colors to choose from.

Clipper

I wonder what I am doing wrong. I also made mine out of rubber jig skirt material. I may have left the strands too long. I will try shortening them some and see if that helps. I too like the looks of the puff type silencers but I have never tried them.

Jake Allen

Take a look:
"How I silence a Bowstring", by Apex Predator (aka Marty)
Quick, easy and cheap. The only change I have made, is
using 100% Merino wool. Holds it's shape longer, and does not absorb as much water.
Even using wool, each silencer costs only a few pennies. :)
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=213840&highlight=

Night Wing

I've used both catwhiskers and yarn wool puffs on my bows and my ears tell me the puffs are quieter than catwhiskers upon arrow release.

OconeeDan

For recurves, it also helps a lot to wrap wool around the string where it meets the limb, this is a source of noise too.
Dan

FVR

Heavy duty bunjy cord.

Cut a 3" piece, split down the middle and attach to your string. They look like cat whiskers but they are alot thicker and seriously quiet noisy bows. You will be surprised, I was.

SOS

Second on merino wool. One skein in olive drab will last a lifetime! Merino is much more durable than acrylic. Mine have lasted 2-3 seasons.

Clipper

Thanks for the tip on the wool yarn. I guess I am off to Hobby Lobby for Merino wool. I will also try wrapping the ends of the string as well as I think I am getting noise from the string slapping the bow there.