Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Default How to prevent dumping on land

Hey guys,

I have some property that is on a well traveled road. Someone dumped a dumptruck load of construction stuff and tires on it...enough to fill a 30 yard dumpster.

I don't want someone to make a habit of it. Any ideas on how to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 AM

From what I understand the Gamewarden can issue state fines for tire dumping that are much more harsh then the local leo's.
Mine said to call him when I catch them and not the local leo. He will call leo for backup if needed. My experience is if you dig thru the pile you will find something to link it to the dumper. Receipts etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Like Wild Turkey said, see if you can find something to determine who it is. I had someone dumping on some hunting property of mine last year and found a piece of mail with their address on it, called gamewarden and he took care of it. No more problems since.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM

We had a bunch of stuff dumped over the years. One incident i found a receipt which directed me to a house in a fairly nice subdivision. Mexicans. I backed the truck up and dumped all over their yard including some extra trash. Had a leo with me so it was all good. The look on their faces was priceless.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
We had a bunch of stuff dumped over the years. One incident i found a receipt which directed me to a house in a fairly nice subdivision. Mexicans. I backed the truck up and dumped all over their yard including some extra trash. Had a leo with me so it was all good. The look on their faces was priceless.
Wild Turkey, I like your style.

Definitely check for any receipts, info, etc.

I had someone dump trash on my property several years ago and I picked through it and found a letter from Social Security Dept to a guy advising him of his increased benefits etc. I went straight to the guy's house and I told him that he had 1 hour to remove his trash, otherwise, he wouldn't have to worry about any new increased SSI benefits. He came and removed it while I stood guard with my .40 cal Glock on my side and I told him never to even think about dumping trash again on someone else property. He got the message.

I had another case that someone dumped some garbage etc and it also had some of their mail inside. (Some people are idiots). I called the local LEO and he stopped by and he was a friend of the culprit and he told me that he would visit the guy and make him clean it up later that afternoon and also advise never to do it again. It was cleaned up totally by sundown and the culprit apologized to me for doing it.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 PM

As everybody else has said, do some digging to see if you can find out who dumped the trash and have them clean up their mess.

But even if you can't get them to clean it up, it HAS to be cleaned up! If you have to clean it your self do it as soon as possible. If you don't, before you know it your land will become the local dump and you'll have to stand guard 24/7 to stop the steady stream of trucks coming out to dump trash on your property.

And word spreads quick!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Need to get Sherrif involved not GW, Dumping wouldn't be considered a game law.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Had this to happen on my farm.I found a letter or two and called the sheriff.A deputy came immediately and took the letter to the person who's name was on the letter.The trash was gone with in a couple of hrs.No more problems.Funny how the news travels about calling the sheriff.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 PM

you guys are LUCKY to have found letters, reciepts, etc to determine the scum who did the dumping. i've spent many hours picking up many piles of trash over the years and only ONE time did i find a reciept that let me to the people who dumped on my land. that turned out to be the local gas station and i was told they would recieve a hefty fine, who knows if they did or not though. most of the time people dump tires, washing machines, chairs, swimming pool equipment, trash that has NO contents with their name or address on it, catfish bones(this is seasonal when the catfish are biting but happens every year like clockwork.). it's very fristrating and since i own the land on both sides of the county owned dirt road i've made it VERY clear to the county that i'm sick and tired of this.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
DNR will write them a ticket in a heartbeat..That's who I called when I had the problem
Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Medcalf View Post
DNR will write them a ticket in a heartbeat..That's who I called when I had the problem
Yep, thats why they have "Natural Resources" in their name.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Medcalf View Post
My brother called the sheriff about trash dumping. The sheriff sent the game warden. He got it cleaned up immediately. There were papers with the culprit's name on it in the trash.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM

on our hunting land we had a pile of trash that filled nearly 4 30 yard containers.i found mail to several people in different areas of the pile.here in bulloch county we have a code enforcement officer.i gave him the mail he wrote the tickets.ive used the sheriffs office when people were leaving their 4 wheelers stuck in our ponds.i called the game warden when somebody threw out a few dead hunting dogs on our place opening morning.healthy looking dogs except for the holes in their heads.we put gates at every drive & put up no dumping,no tresspassing signs.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL View Post
Had this to happen on my farm.I found a letter or two and called the sheriff.A deputy came immediately and took the letter to the person who's name was on the letter.The trash was gone with in a couple of hrs.No more problems.Funny how the news travels about calling the sheriff.
Almost the same thing happened to me. Someone dumped a truck load of garbage, all in bags, on the timber company land I drive through to get to our place. I call LEO, then I dug through it to find out whos it was, and found the needed info. Took it and met the LEO, and he said he would take care of it. LEO called back a couple hours later, said the guy would have it gone before dark, and did I want to press charges. I told him no, did not want to ruin someones life over this, but told LEO to tell him to never set foot on this land again, or we would press charges at that point. From that day forward, now we have to go through a locked gate to get to our place. Never did before, never had ad any problems.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Smile your on camera signs might help.........
Old 09-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Have someone "dump" a load of nailboards...
Old 09-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's not a game law, but it is an "environmental law", which DNR is charged with enforcing. GW took care of the last illegal dump we had on our land.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Put up a game camera in the most likely spots. Then call DNR.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotwild View Post
Put up a game camera in the most likely spots. Then call DNR.
and a camera facing that camera.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
dnr handles dumping too. in many counties the local's wont touch it.

then there's the Ga Environmental Protection Division of DNR that handles it from another, civil, perspective.

T

Last edited by Throwback; 09-18-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the cameras idea w/ signs.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM

had this happen to me about a year ago....30 yard dumpster full of old tires...
call the PD and filed a report. They tracked a piece of paper to dekalb county from morgan county...the a dead end.
There is an agency that is part of the state department that will clean it up for you at no cost. You have to get on the list and WAIT...I have been on it for a year and the tires are still on my land, however, it would cost meover $4k to remove them and pay the fees....so I am still waiting
Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Guys, this is why you check very carefully for some type if identification (letters, bills, documents etc) that may show up in an illegal dumping area.

This really happened in Rockdale County, Georgia I believe back in January 2009. I think this one worked out just perfectly though. DNR officers do a lot more that what most of us realize.

On January 11th, DNR officer Cpl. Sanders was patrolling for deer hunters when he located a site where a huge quantity of trash had been dumped. The material dump was consistent with a house being cleaned out. Cpl. Sanders found several cards with the same name and address. Cpl. Sanders noticed a white envelope that looked strange. Inside the envelope were nineteen US Savings Bonds that had the name of the person that was on the cards.

Cpl. Sanders located the address and found a relative there painting. The relative stated that they had paid someone to haul the trash off. Cpl. Sanders showed the relative what was found and she could not believe what was thrown away. She stated that this would keep the owner of the Savings Bonds in Health Care for another year. The total sum of the Bonds was $10,701.41 cents. The family was very grateful of the actions taken by Cpl. Sanders to find the owner of the Savings Bonds. Cpl. Sanders did issue the subject who dumped the trash a citation for illegal dumping.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 PM

I would add just a caution about jumping to some rash action on your own just because you found something with a name or address. There could be other explanations as to how it got into that pile of trash and a wrongful act could set you up for liabilities or prosecution.

Let the authorities handle it and properly investigate what happened.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Good suggestions. I was told that DNR officer has more authority than a county sheriff. Don't know if that's true.

How much road frontage does the property have? If not a terrible lot, a strand or two of barbed wire wouldn't be too expensive and may deter dumping.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsaler111 View Post
Have someone "dump" a load of nailboards...
Several years ago we had tresspassers driving around a gate onto our hunting property. One member put nail boards in the grass around the gate. About 6 months later...you guessed it...someone stepped on the nailboard and had a nail go thru their foot, luckily we had no lawsuits from that.....NAILBOARDS...BAD IDEA (BUT i LOVE THE THOUGHT OF IT)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM

(Need to get Sherrif involved not GW, Dumping wouldn't be considered a game law.)
The GW has all the authority of a State Trooper and more. If the Sheriff comes he can only fine the person the limit of local ordinance. If the GW comes he can fine at state law level and also environmental law levels. The local Sheriff told me specifically to call the GW because he had more power to prosecute/fine than he did.

Last edited by Wild Turkey; 09-23-2011 at 07:38 AM.