GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting

Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Default are crossbows stronger and fast then a compound bow

I have a 150 lbs horton cross bow and i was wondering if it is stronger and faster compared to my hoyt alpha max 32 , at 70 lbs draw , i guess my question is getting at is the 150 draw on the crossbow , and then the 70 lbs draw on my compound , are these measured the same or are they measured different because they are different types on bows .
Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM

They are measured two ways, in f.p.s and in kenetic energy i.e. impact force. Not sure about your bow but my crossbow packs a much bigger punch than a compound bow. i'm shooting at around 350 f.p.s and 95 ft lbs of impact force. I have no problem taking a 40+yd shot on a deer.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM

A crossbow has a much shorter draw cycle than a compound and thus shorter bolts (and limbs) compared to Compounds with arrows. Generally speaking (yes there are "speed bows" in both catagories) they are measured equally. The extra lbs in a cross bow are needed to make up for the shorter travel of the string.

Both have equal limitations and require the same due diligance in practice and range estimating.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Crossbow is definatley faster and harder hitting. Shoot both at a target and see which one is buried deeper in the target after you shoot. I need to use two targets back to back when I shoot my Excalibur Exomax at anything under a 40 yard shot. Don't forget about the increase in accuracy with the crossbow as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Yea some xbows are faster than most compounds. With an xbow your shooting bolts not arrows which are alot heavier. I don't think I agree with the increase in accuracy tho...that would be a matter of opinion.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM

Had my horton drilling quarter size spot at 50yds several years ago.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM

On a prop you can hold a lot more steady than a compound. However my high country brute force was shooting a little faster than the 175 express horton.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 PM

I shoot dots also. Don't shoot tournaments like I use to but im gettin back into it next year. I know alot of guys bustin nocks at 50. That's why I say that's a matter of opinion.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Dang if I could bust nocks with a compound at 50 I'd feel like a bully on the playground. LOL
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Dang if I could bust nocks with a compound at 50 I'd feel like a bully on the playground. LOL
By an Excalibur and you can! Those things are crazy accurate.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM

And that's without a prop...
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Crossbows are faster and more accurate than a compound that's why they were illegal for so long.It takes more skill to shoot a bow and it's more of a challange so a crossbow is great for people who want to hunt but lack the skills,confidence or a handicap to shoot a regular bow.I think it's also a great way to introduce kids into the sport the more people we get into the woods the better of all of us hunters will be.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 84 View Post
Crossbows are faster and more accurate than a compound that's why they were illegal for so long.It takes more skill to shoot a bow and it's more of a challange so a crossbow is great for people who want to hunt but lack the skills,confidence or a handicap to shoot a regular bow.I think it's also a great way to introduce kids into the sport the more people we get into the woods the better of all of us hunters will be.
Real hunters shoot long bows.

Compound bows take away from the true nature of bow hunting. A 280 fps bow with yardage pins & angle compensating range finders (attached to the bow) trigger release, stabilizers, string silencers, mechanical or broadhead 2" tips.

All of those modern advancements take away from the real experience of "Man vs Beast"
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 84 View Post
Crossbows are faster and more accurate than a compound that's why they were illegal for so long.It takes more skill to shoot a bow and it's more of a challange so a crossbow is great for people who want to hunt but lack the skills,confidence or a handicap to shoot a regular bow.I think it's also a great way to introduce kids into the sport the more people we get into the woods the better of all f us hunters will be.
Wrong. I can't load it cuz I don't have an account. But get on youtube an search "compound bow vs crossbow".
Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam678 View Post
I shoot dots also. Don't shoot tournaments like I use to but im gettin back into it next year. I know alot of guys bustin nocks at 50. That's why I say that's a matter of opinion.

there is a reason the pope and young club doesnt recognize crossbow kills......b/c its not real bow hunting. more accurate, scopes for low light ect.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Doesn't matter how hard an arrow or bolt hit a deer... Unlike a gun, death comes from hemmoraging (blood loss)

As I was told back as a kid from an old timer back then... If you can take a conveniece store styrofoam cooler and punch thru both sides with a broadhead? You're good to kill a deer...

ALL YOU NEED IS 2 HOLES THRU 2 LUNGS!!!! Game over... 30# bow with a stinger and a heavy enough arrow will do the trick..
Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by struttinsouthern View Post
there is a reason the pope and young club doesnt recognize crossbow kills......b/c its not real bow hunting. more accurate, scopes for low light ect.
whose to say hunting with a crossbow is not real bow hunting,pope and young were only men and they made the rules but they are only men.so if i go out and kill game with a sling shot does that give me the right to say YOU are not a real hunter cause you shoot with a long bow or a recurve or a compound?no i dont think so!off my horse now, have a good year HUNTINGcrossbow compound or slingshot what ever you choose to hunt with,good luck to all.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoal Brother View Post
Real hunters shoot long bows.

Compound bows take away from the true nature of bow hunting. A 280 fps bow with yardage pins & angle compensating range finders (attached to the bow) trigger release, stabilizers, string silencers, mechanical or broadhead 2" tips.

All of those modern advancements take away from the real experience of "Man vs Beast"
Kina off topic but Yea you rite. With the high power rifles...scents...cameras an all the other technology the wildlife doesn't have a chance. But I bet you don't think about that when you check your trail camera...to see what time the deer move in your area. Or look at that topo map an finding a spot with out having to actualy find a spot an locate the deer.

Last edited by solocam678; 10-12-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 AM

I usually just jump out from behind a tree in my loincloth and hit them between the ears with a big rock......the heck with all this bow/gun/crossbow stuff.....
Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Lol...yea I quit using my spear with a rock shaped like an arrowhead tied at the end. Those high jumps out of trees are ruff on my knees.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
Doesn't matter how hard an arrow or bolt hit a deer... Unlike a gun, death comes from hemmoraging (blood loss)

As I was told back as a kid from an old timer back then... If you can take a conveniece store styrofoam cooler and punch thru both sides with a broadhead? You're good to kill a deer...

ALL YOU NEED IS 2 HOLES THRU 2 LUNGS!!!! Game over... 30# bow with a stinger and a heavy enough arrow will do the trick..
Hmmm, every deer I ever shot with a gun behind the shoulder bleed to death or could no longer breathe due to holes in lungs unless it was shot in the head
Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligood729 View Post
I usually just jump out from behind a tree in my loincloth and hit them between the ears with a big rock......the heck with all this bow/gun/crossbow stuff.....
Loincloth, oh brother that's a sight
Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM

I watched the YouTube video and it confirmed what I said that a crossbow is more accurate because it is easier to shoot and hits with more kinetic energy.it also said it took more time and practice to shoot a upright bow is what he called it I for one shoot a compound bow and don't want to shoot a crossbow I was just helping answer the persons question it seem to me like he was trying to choose between a compound and crossbow all I was saying that it is easier to shoot a crossbow.I don't care what people shoot I think they should shoot what they are comfortable with.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Default trye but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Hmmm, every deer I ever shot with a gun behind the shoulder bleed to death or could no longer breathe due to holes in lungs unless it was shot in the head
true, but many times they drop from trauma with one shot from the gun... especially a high shoulder shot... but trauma many times be the factor in cause of death in gun shots over hemmoraging with a bow will....

Last edited by Slasher; 10-12-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM

You need to watch the one that they shoot thru the crono. Clearly in english an numbers. Don't know what you watched. They have pins set at 20 yards on both bows...shootin the same grain arrow. They both hit dead on at 20...as they got further back the xbow dropped more. An even with the more pounds on the xbow the compound still shot faster with more KE