GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Upland Game Bird Hunting

Old 06-15-2006, 10:59 PM

Default canoe paint?

Ive got an old towne polyethelene canoe that Im gonna use for duck huntin but its red. Ive heard that you can prime it with a latex primer then paint, but I dont know. Has anybody had any luck painting a canoe? If so how did you do it?

slimbo
Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 PM
GONetwork Member

Get you some Camo Clad
Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODIE13
Get you some Camo Clad
I think that is the best advice. Just peel and stick. I think they are running a special on some permanent sheets just for boats. It sure looks better than the .99 a can spray paint job.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 AM

I used some "duck boat paint" on a fiberglass canoe once. Cleaned it, gave it a coat of aerosol spray-on primer, & gave it two brushed coats of Herter's duck boat paint (looks like Parker brand at Cabela's now...). Would have been better if I had used a paint sprayer to apply actual paint.... The peel & stick stuff looks good too...

Good luck. Show us some before & after pics of whatever you decide to do.... Better yet make some of the after pics with the harvest results in hand!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:15 AM

I tried to repaint my whitewater canoe. it's made of Royalex(sp?). Paint won't stick to it for nothing. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but I imagine the polyethelyne will be the same way since both of the materials are just forms of plastic....of course it was mainly the bottom that I had a problem with and if you're not doing whitewater, you may be OK. I used a spray paint made to bond with plastic by Krylon called Fusion.....don't know if they have any good colors to use for camo though. Fusion was designed for things like plastic patio furniture, mail boxes, and toys. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 AM

In my first response, it was an entire fiberglass canoe.

After seeing HMWolfpup's response, I thought this might be helpful too... I have touched up the bottom of my Royalex canoe with the Herter's paint & it did fine as far as "sticking" to both the Kevlar skid plates on the end & the royalex in the middle. I've also painted some discrete script along parts of the royalex top with black model paint & it worked fine.

So, neither of my responses may be germaine to polyethylene....
Old 06-16-2006, 12:23 PM

You will have to use gel coat paint on poly or ABS. It will stay on if you follow the directions. Helped my buddy paint an old Blue Hole OCS. The paint has been on it for almost 15 years.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Shutter Mushin' Mod

if you go to old towns web site i believe there is a section on repair and painting for the different materials they have. hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:19 PM

You guys make some good points. I already thought of and dont want camo clad. It seems like it would peel and be hard to fix. I painted my jon boat and it turned out awesome. Im not worried about the look after its painted, I just want it to stick as best as possible. But come to think of it, the bottom will get scratched more than anything and the ducks cant see that. Old towne doesnt have anything either. I think Ill just give it a good prime and go with it. Ill let yall know how it turns out.

slimbo
Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Shutter Mushin' Mod

slimbo, if you go to the old town site and look at the owners manual section, it has an area for repair/ refinishing it states that nothing will stick to the polyethelene (sp) because it is polarized but it tells you how to reverse this process. i would read that before i went much farther. hope this helps
Old 06-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Ok guys I did it. Unfortunately I think it will come right off. If it sticks during the pre-season, Ill touch it up before shootin time. One side is for grass and one side is for woodlands.

slimbo
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Looks pretty good. You may want to touch it up with a "dead grass" color depending on where you want to take it...
Old 06-25-2006, 07:17 PM

yea Ill try to get some pics of my real duck boat if the rain slacks off. It looks awesome. I just didnt want to go too extreme if the paint is just gonna peel off.

slimbo

ps Rip you must be bored today too.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 PM
GONetwork Member

You could always compliment the paint with a little fast grass, camo netting and toss on a bungee cord to add some natural veg.

Looks good
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 PM

Im gonna cover it with camo stuff, but I dont want red showing through.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Default painting a polyethylene boat

I own a coleman scanoe and needed a patch kit to repair cracks in it, found it at {bullseyetradingpost.com} in subsequent e-mails one of the guys said they had painted their canoe with krylon fusion spray paint said it worked good. Hope this helps!

Last edited by scoutmaster; 07-07-2008 at 06:15 PM.