Turkey Challenge 250 Post Perspective

boparks

I’ve been following the post regarding the “250 Required Post” and other suggestions being thrown into the hat and even though last year was my first time being involved I just wanted to offer a perspective about the challenge.

This forum has a higher number of true turkey killers and guys with enthusiasm that are at varying experience levels and that love to hunt and talk about turkeys than any other I’ve seen.

This Challenge is a big deal to most and it adds a different elements and aspect to the season compared to just posting on normal topics.

In regards to the 250 post thing:

In a random selection for teams it comes down to which group gets lucky in terms of who’s in the group. Most of the 33 teams last year had a good core of 2-3 guys that would kill their fair share of birds but the rest of the team in many cases was an unknown. The teams that were in the running last year got lucky, mine included in that every person on the team showed up and killed birds, communicated and the effort was there.

Some teams even with a core of serious turkey killers, were DOOMED from Day One and didn’t know it until the season progressed because several people that appeared to want to be in the contest put their names in the hat, were assigned to a team, and disappeared all together or appeared to make little effort to help the team. You can imagine how frustrating this would be if you’re serious about this.

If you pull just one position player off the field for the best team in base ball they can’t win and its better to at least have someone trying even if half of their plays result in errors. Its just hard to overcome that kind of handicap.

So the bottom line is the 100 post thing from last year did not work and if I had been on one of those teams I would have been suggesting this 250 post requirement. If you’re willing to pay your dues and post 250 times, then you’re more likely to be around for the season and try to help the team. I bet you’ll see more teams in the running because of this and less that had the “missing” team member like last year.

What your experience level is and how many birds you’ve killed is a different matter. To me if you’re there and trying, that’s all I’d care about. We had a guy last year on our team that had never killed one. He hung in there, communicated, and killed his bird which without we would not have ended up where we did.

The random draw system is good and I believe the structure including the scoring system here is great. Its simple and creates a balanced playing field

The GON Turkey Challenge is supposed to be just that…a CHALLENGE and the standard required to win should be high and if you win it , it should be because at the end your team worked together, communicated, strategized, and put together a 12 bird limit. Any lower bird counts would just dilute the competitive side in my view. I suspect you’ll see twice the 12 bird limits this year compared to last because of this 250 post thing because there will be more 5 man teams working together, not 3 or 4 man teams.

I was on Team 30, Neckbusters Inc. last year and we somehow pulled it off and won. It was mostly because we got lucky on the random draw. We had 5 guys that were committed, a few that were veterans with resources and good places to hunt, and some that worked hard and put forth an honest effort. And as I said we had one who had never killed a bird that killed his first.

In the end it came down to bonus points but we were lucky we weren’t DOOMED from day one and it was largely due to the luck of the draw. If we’d have been lower down the listing I would not have felt bad because everyone tried. But if I had been on some of the teams I was watching and worried about that had an empty position on the field, I would be shaking my head in frustration.

So I’m not trying to ruffle anyone here and I know there are some very good people trying to get to the 250 post.

The people that run this contest work hard and are just
trying to make this a fair challenge and make some tweaks to improve the event. I’d just suggest just looking at it as paying your dues and proving you’re serious, and trying to understand how it went last year. I know you’ll understand after this season.

We all just need to be hopeful we get lucky in the draw.

Bobby

Last edited:

WESBULLDOGS

as i was reading this i was thinking that there is no way that im going to be in the challenge this year due to the 250 post rule. i get on her everyday but really dont post really often. Then i went to see how many i had and im at 259(260 after this) so what im saying is it isnt that hard to reach 250. Also Bobby you are correct with it stinging a bit when you hunt hard and kill your birds and you have folks who dont even go to the woods or get heard from at all during the challenge. Good luck to all and thanks to the guys who have and will be running the challenge. you are truly appreciated by many of us!

GAMHUNTER35

well i am sign up again i hope an i think i can get my 3 got some new land. an i hav a 4 year old bird on my land that i hav been trying to get hope this is my year since i also hav the land across the road where he hangs out

Wastin Bullets

This will be my first year Turkey hunting, and If i decide to join I will be committed to trying to get my 3 birds... but with this being my first year I don't want to be that guy that everyone says "oh crap, this guy has never even killed a bird before, I don't want him on my team" So I am debating on joining in on the challenge this year.. The post count won't be a problem... But it's the fact that I have never turkey hunted before and It will be a learning year...

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
This will be my first year Turkey hunting, and If i decide to join I will be committed to trying to get my 3 birds... but with this being my first year I don't want to be that guy that everyone says "oh crap, this guy has never even killed a bird before, I don't want him on my team" So I am debating on joining in on the challenge this year.. The post count won't be a problem... But it's the fact that I have never turkey hunted before and It will be a learning year...

This is why I am not joining this year, I have in years past, and just ended up handicapping the teams.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good job Bobby and the other people involved in this yearly contest! This will make a lot of things better for all of the teams! Thank you for all you do! Tim

boparks

This is why I am not joining this year, I have in years past, and just ended up handicapping the teams.

Please understand I was not trying to discourage anyone from entering...only some thoughts mostly to do with people being committed.....

These teams or at least most will always include a mix of experience levels

Guys...some here may look at it differently...but it would not matter to me that you've not killed a bird yet...and there will almost always be a couple guys that are automatically good for three birds so no one would expect you to just jump
in a bust three yourself....you do what you can so it averages out with the rest of the team...most teams are going to poll members and get a read on what it will take to get there in terms of kills

What matters is you put forth an effort ....and it sure sounds like you both would.......And I'd say you're due to score on one or two...maybe three

Read back thru the individual team post conversations from last year and I
believe you 'll mostly see that where everyone tried and it didn't work out...most felt the team effort was there...and it was a good parting.......

I believe if you look back thru the post...most of the frustrations were from guys not showing up...or not appearing committed.....not because someone didn't kill a bird

I'd encourage you both to enter and I would be glad to team up with you

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Please understand I was not trying to discourage anyone from entering...only some thoughts mostly to do with people being committed.....

These teams or at least most will always include a mix of experience levels

Guys...some here may look at it differently...but it would not matter to me that you've not killed a bird yet...and there will almost always be a couple guys that are automatically good for three birds so no one would expect you to just jump
in a bust three yourself....you do what you can so it averages out with the rest of the team...most teams are going to poll members and get a read on what it will take to get there in terms of kills

What matters is you put forth an effort ....and it sure sounds like you both would.......And I'd say you're due to score on one or two...maybe three

Read back thru the individual team post conversations from last year and I
believe you 'll mostly see that where everyone tried and it didn't work out...most felt the team effort was there...and it was a good parting.......

I believe if you look back thru the post...most of the frustrations were from guys not showing up...or not appearing committed.....not because someone didn't kill a bird

I'd encourage you both to enter and I would be glad to team up with you

Mr. Bobby I absolutley did not take it as discouragement, I understand what you ment. :cheers: I made this choice after the challenge last year, because I felt bad that after another year I did not kill a bird. I am not a part time turkey hunter either, just have not closed the deal yet. I have been in the challenge the last few years and have had several teammates over the years try and help. I just think I will stay on the sidelines until I finally break the ice, after that I will join back in. Besides, I dont think taking my picture with a frozen turkey in the grocery store will qualify as a eligable picture. :rofl:

Last edited:

The Fever

I hear ya bud. I am in the same boat, I go back and forth. I am requesting many days off to hunt turkey and thanks to the fact that I work retail, this means I have many mornings off. I also have a good group of friends that have stepped up and offered land and guidance. I will be at them hard and heavy most every morning and then booking it to work, changing clothes and then doing it again the next day. dunno yet tho :huh::huh:

Maduro on Point

I was lucky last year and was placed with a good group of guys. Fred and Turkeyed both so bumping it up to 250 so that more teams are filled with members like that seems like an advantage for all involved. Like the change and looking forward to a great season and contest..

qball594

I can see what mean with the 250 and thats good, It's my own fault for reading and not posting. Just really much on posting but I'm getting better.

Gator8em

I can see what mean with the 250 and thats good, It's my own fault for reading and not posting. Just really much on posting but I'm getting better.

Your structure is a little rough but your punctuation is awesome. I believe you are getting better!:D

mcallum3

After reading how some members have made a choice not to join the challenge just because they've never killed a bird, it made me want to give y'all my perspective on it. My first challenge 4 yrs ago (3 man teams instead of 5) I was fortunate enough to be able to kill 3 birds and be able to successfully enter them into the challenge. Just killing a bird is the first step.There are certain requirements to successfully enter a bird into the challenge and needless to say I had worries about being able to pull this off. One of the guys that was on my team (RICOCHET) did not kill a single bird that year but hunted his rear off all year from beginning to end of season and continued to stay in contact with our team. The other teammate did not kill a bird and unfortunately had very little contact with us (he may have hunted his rear off also, however we didn't hear much from him so you can only wonder). RICOCHET sincerely apologized for not being able to take a bird that year and I told him that due to the fact that he hunted his rear off I would take him for a teammate anytime, birds or no birds. After that year we were able to get together in person several times to hunt. I took him to a piece of public land that I've had a lot of success on and I was able to take a bird while me, him, and his son were all together on this hunt. We were fortunate enough to be drawn again together last year with him taking 3 birds and successfuly entering them and me taking 2 birds with the same success. I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you're dedicated to hunting turkeys, sign up for the challenge and be a part of the team. If you kill a bird, or if you don't kill a bird, at least make an effort for your team and you've done your part. You never know what kind of friendships you can make from something as simple as a turkey challenge.

qball594

After reading how some members have made a choice not to join the challenge just because they've never killed a bird, it made me want to give y'all my perspective on it. My first challenge 4 yrs ago (3 man teams instead of 5) I was fortunate enough to be able to kill 3 birds and be able to successfully enter them into the challenge. Just killing a bird is the first step.There are certain requirements to successfully enter a bird into the challenge and needless to say I had worries about being able to pull this off. One of the guys that was on my team (RICOCHET) did not kill a single bird that year but hunted his rear off all year from beginning to end of season and continued to stay in contact with our team. The other teammate did not kill a bird and unfortunately had very little contact with us (he may have hunted his rear off also, however we didn't hear much from him so you can only wonder). RICOCHET sincerely apologized for not being able to take a bird that year and I told him that due to the fact that he hunted his rear off I would take him for a teammate anytime, birds or no birds. After that year we were able to get together in person several times to hunt. I took him to a piece of public land that I've had a lot of success on and I was able to take a bird while me, him, and his son were all together on this hunt. We were fortunate enough to be drawn again together last year with him taking 3 birds and successfuly entering them and me taking 2 birds with the same success. I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you're dedicated to hunting turkeys, sign up for the challenge and be a part of the team. If you kill a bird, or if you don't kill a bird, at least make an effort for your team and you've done your part. You never know what kind of friendships you can make from something as simple as a turkey challenge.

That is one was the main reasons I want to get in, its a chance to make friends and maybe have a chance to hunt.

mtstephens18

very well said :clap::clap: