GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Paymaster's Outdoor Cafe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Cottontail's Avatar
Cottontail Cottontail is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kuntry
iTrader: (11) Check/Add Feedback
Default Pork/blood pressure ??

Is pork really bad to eat with high blood pressue or is it just because its greasy ??? I never really thought about it till recently when i was put on bp medication. Thought this would be a great place to ask since theres a lot of bbq going on here.
__________________
REDNECK LIFE
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Confederate State of Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
Is pork really bad to eat with high blood pressue or is it just because its greasy ??? I never really thought about it till recently when i was put on bp medication. Thought this would be a great place to ask since theres a lot of bbq going on here.
I think this falls under the don't ask don't tell protection act This will probably get an amen from at least one of the mods of this forum
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Jeff C.'s Avatar
Jeff C. Jeff C. is offline
Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: southside of here and there
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I googled this for you. http://www.essortment.com/eating-por...ure-62150.html

Relatively generic info, but hard to argue with. I've just recently been prescribed blood pressure medication also....not too mention by-pass surgery.

Am I going to stop eating pork? No!

Will I cut back on my pork consumption? Maybe!

Will I consume smaller portions when I do eat pork? Good possibility!

__________________
~ Trick#1......Looketh over there! -----> ~
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Cottontail's Avatar
Cottontail Cottontail is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kuntry
iTrader: (11) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Thanks Jeff i appreciate that very good info.
__________________
REDNECK LIFE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Artfuldodger's Avatar
Artfuldodger Artfuldodger is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez/Augusta
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I don't think it's the pork fat. The salt in ham & bacon yes. Other risk factors involved too. I found this info:
At the beginning of the last century, most of the fats in our forefathers diet were either saturated or monounsaturated, mostly from butter, lard, tallow, coconut oil and small amounts of olive oil. Today most of the fats in our diet are polyunsaturated from vegetable oils mostly from soy, as well as from corn, safflower and canola. Before 1920 coronary heart disease was a rarity in America, causing no more than 10% of all deaths. Today heart disease accounts for at least 40% of all deaths. Is there a connection? We believe there is, and a growing body of scientists, researchers, and health care professionals is beginning to stand up to the politically correct diet dogma that is dictating low fat diets and vegetable fats instead of animal or tropical fats.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Artfuldodger's Avatar
Artfuldodger Artfuldodger is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez/Augusta
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Myth #1: Saturated Fats Clog Arteries and Cause Heart Disease
In a three-year study conducted at the University of Washington, researchers examined the diets and coronary artery conditions of 235 women in the United States with an average age of 66.
At the study’s inception, researchers took X-rays of 10 locations along each woman's coronary arteries, wherein all subjects were found to have some measure of plaque buildup. The women kept comprehensive records of the foods they ate and in what amounts, including the types of oils they used for frying and baking. At the end of the three year period, researchers then took a second set of X-rays.

It was found that women who had regularly eaten the highest amounts of saturated fats had the least amount of additional plaque buildup in their arteries. Also, women who ate more saturated fats had a healthier balance of good and bad cholesterols and more desirable blood concentrations of various kinds of fats. Factors such as age, education, smoking habits, and use of medication were accounted for by the researchers

The Real Problem
So if it's not the saturated fat from those steaks and burgers we Americans love so much that's causing the rise in heart disease and obesity, then what is? Believe it or not, it's the "heart-healthy" oils like canola that are doing much of the damage. When these oils are heated, they convert into trans fats and also produce large amounts of free radicals.

These trans-fats are 97% positively correlated with arterial plaque and experts are now suggesting that trans-fats are responsible for between 30,000 and 100,000 heart disease deaths per year. Harvard researchers are calling trans-fats "the biggest food processing disaster in U.S. history."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Jeff C.'s Avatar
Jeff C. Jeff C. is offline
Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: southside of here and there
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
I don't think it's the pork fat. The salt in ham & bacon yes. Other risk factors involved too. I found this info:
At the beginning of the last century, most of the fats in our forefathers diet were either saturated or monounsaturated, mostly from butter, lard, tallow, coconut oil and small amounts of olive oil. Today most of the fats in our diet are polyunsaturated from vegetable oils mostly from soy, as well as from corn, safflower and canola. Before 1920 coronary heart disease was a rarity in America, causing no more than 10% of all deaths. Today heart disease accounts for at least 40% of all deaths. Is there a connection? We believe there is, and a growing body of scientists, researchers, and health care professionals is beginning to stand up to the politically correct diet dogma that is dictating low fat diets and vegetable fats instead of animal or tropical fats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
Myth #1: Saturated Fats Clog Arteries and Cause Heart Disease
In a three-year study conducted at the University of Washington, researchers examined the diets and coronary artery conditions of 235 women in the United States with an average age of 66.
At the study’s inception, researchers took X-rays of 10 locations along each woman's coronary arteries, wherein all subjects were found to have some measure of plaque buildup. The women kept comprehensive records of the foods they ate and in what amounts, including the types of oils they used for frying and baking. At the end of the three year period, researchers then took a second set of X-rays.

It was found that women who had regularly eaten the highest amounts of saturated fats had the least amount of additional plaque buildup in their arteries. Also, women who ate more saturated fats had a healthier balance of good and bad cholesterols and more desirable blood concentrations of various kinds of fats. Factors such as age, education, smoking habits, and use of medication were accounted for by the researchers

The Real Problem
So if it's not the saturated fat from those steaks and burgers we Americans love so much that's causing the rise in heart disease and obesity, then what is? Believe it or not, it's the "heart-healthy" oils like canola that are doing much of the damage. When these oils are heated, they convert into trans fats and also produce large amounts of free radicals.

These trans-fats are 97% positively correlated with arterial plaque and experts are now suggesting that trans-fats are responsible for between 30,000 and 100,000 heart disease deaths per year. Harvard researchers are calling trans-fats "the biggest food processing disaster in U.S. history."
Yeah, I've seen a couple of those studies. I actually tend to agree more with their findings. Smaller portions couldn't hurt I guess.

One study I read was by a Cardiologist. In his study, he found something like 5 groups of indigenous people around the world that their only source for fat was animal fats. Heart disease was almost nonexistent in those populations.
__________________
~ Trick#1......Looketh over there! -----> ~
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Michael F. Gray's Avatar
Michael F. Gray Michael F. Gray is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Swansboro, North Carolina
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I have lost 198 pounds and kept it off over 8 years. Turned out to be a thyroid malady, but it's been removed. Doing well these days, however,...along the way my endocrinologist has advised me if it comes off a hog, don't eat it. My Saturday mornings usually start with bacon, eggs, and yellow hominy grits. Turkey bacon tastes better to me these days than the real thing. Much leaner. Life without pork isn't bad at all. I'm much healthier today, and consume meat about once a week. Never realized how delicious well prepared fruits and vegtables are. Can remember when I'd be insulted to sit at the table with no meat. Truth is I'm learning I feel better if I eat less of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Paymaster's Avatar
Paymaster Paymaster is offline
Q Cookin, Fly Tyin, Retired Mod
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ephesus Georgia
iTrader: (13) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
I think this falls under the don't ask don't tell protection act This will probably get an amen from at least one of the mods of this forum


I have been on BP meds for 15 years. I eat more pork now than when I was placed on them. My BP problems are inherited. Now that I am on BP and heart meds, my BP is normal,my Cholesterol is in great shape, and my heart capacity, though diminished because of the blood clot related attack, is steady and unchanged for the last 7 years.
__________________
"For every one mile of road, there are two miles of ditch".
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger