Does this happen to everyone?

zane29

every once in a while ill tie on a lure, give it a cast and POP there goes my lure....that frustrates me to no end! im wondering if its just me or do others have this same problem from time to time?

bonecollector

yes sir

every once in a while ill tie a new one on and not run my fingers up and down the line and pop it just kills me too but its my fault hence therefore the reason for 17lb test:cool:

noah3d

You probably have a snag in your line guides. It will fray your line.

Tarpfisher

It happens....I have done this a few times throwing a walking topwater bait. The line just gets weak from working the bait. Just be glad that you didnt throw your rod in the water when your line broke like me. I had to jump in after the rod as it was about to sink.

Did I mention i had my cell in my pocket and the cool water temps. LOL

JDietsch

There could be many reasons but if you are using lighter line you especially should be careful not to get backlashes, or when you do not to wrench on the line too hard trying to get it untangled because it will weaken the line, especially fluorocarbon. You could have a cracked guide on your rod or the line guide in the reel or bad scratches on the spool could be abrasive. The line could be damaged from too much exposure to the heat. It could be frayed from fishing cover and catching fish but if you tied a good knot for what line you are using, that was wetted, and cinched slowly and tight and the line you are using is quality and in good condition not affected by anything said or similar then it shouldn't be breaking your lures off.

jighead1

Happened to me lots of time but all with Big Game line, I use P-Line now and have not lost one in a long time.

kirby999

every once in a while ill tie on a lure, give it a cast and POP there goes my lure....that frustrates me to no end! im wondering if its just me or do others have this same problem from time to time?

No, and I fish 2 and 4 # line , but I have a friend that goes fishing with me and it seems to happen to him at least once every time we go. I think his problem is his knots .

Coenen

Could be your knots, be sure to inspect your line and retie often, especially if you are in heavy cover or catching a lot of fish. I've also heard that a drop of super-glue on the knot can give it a little extra umph after tightening. Make sure you're using an appropriate knot for the type of line on your spool, braid needs a palomar knot for an example, as a normal clinch not will eventually cut itself off.

I occasionally have this problem when I try to overcast a bait. It's just one of those things; I know full well that curling up like a shot putter, getting a running start and using a full body english swing isn't going to make that bait go any further, but for some reason that doesn't stop me from trying to hit that pod of schoolers that just came up half-way across the lake. Some times you just get your blood up in the heat of the moment, and do something... "ill advised" (read: stupid).

Line could also be a factor, make sure that you're using an appropriate weight line for conditions and the bait you're throwing, and that that line jives with your the rod and reel you've spooled it on. Issues dealing with storage, usage and damage from bad spools or damaged guides have already been mentioned. These issues are especially prevalent with braided line. Braid is extremely strong "North/South" so to speak, but relatively delicate and susceptible to damage "East/West" across the strand. Think of it like a rope, once the outside strands get damaged, the strand as a whole is compromised.

From your end, solving this issue will boil down to preventative maintenance. Checking knots and line, being aware of the conditions your fishing in, avoiding too many snags and/or backlashes, and taking the appropriate steps to remedy those problems before they result in that favorite (or maybe just expensive) lure sailing off into the wild blue yonder.

Self!

It just happens sometimes. I launched a spinnerbait last week from a hump at least 150 yards from any bank......and never even heard it land. :rofl: :banginghe