Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Deer Growling??? On deer and deer hunting tv show.

I was watching this last night and they showed footage of mature bucks "GROWLING". It was the weirdest thing I've heard. They say that the bucks growl when they are frustrated, angry, or in presence of estrous does. It really did sound like a growling bear or something. The odd thing about it, is that within minutes many bucks came running in to investigate. They had several different pieces of footage on different days and different parts of the U.S. Anyways, M.A.D calls supposedly developed a call that makes the same sounds as the growl coming from the bucks. Did anyone else happen to catch this program?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I saw it. It was interesting. I wonder why people haven't noticed that before though.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 PM

I saw it too and man the bucks were coming in from all directions. Might be something to it.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:49 PM

They had some at outdoor traditions in dawsonville.I'm pretty sure they already sold out.Maybe will get some more in because I'll have to get me one.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:11 PM

........and more are hooked and reeled in by the latest hunting gadget.

The Snakeman
Old 07-22-2006, 01:14 PM

I got that recorded and can't wait to show my hunting partner. We both heard that noise in the woods one morning before daylight. Thought it might have been a bear or hog.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Buck growl call

Let us know when and where you find one. As my name implies, I try to stay on the cutting edge.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:37 PM

Just wish I had some of that "snake oil" to sell you guys.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Deer Growl

If you go to Obseionarchery they sell it on there and there is also a pretty nice little video clip about the actual sound. Looks like another new toy for the backpack
Old 07-22-2006, 02:38 PM

I've heard bucks make the growl and other people have too. Everyone thought we were crazy.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

i have been in the woods way more than i ever should have, and have never heard a deer growl. i have heard variations of grunting sounds, a sort of clicking/popping type noise, bleats and bawls...but never growls. i do think gadgetry is run amock. the ''industrial'' direction our sport is heading demands cash flow, thus useless gadgets must be invented and sold...something new each year. i am all for good equipment, though. if something really works, it will stand the test of time. i'll stick w/ the time tested stuff, and keep my money in my pockets. as for the drury bunch, their calls are basically junk, mass produced crap. their credibility went out the window with that stupid gobbler whistle, ten yrs ago. i do ,however, hope most all of ya'll buy one and growl up a storm. ought to keep the deer moving!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearbritches
i have been in the woods way more than i ever should have, and have never heard a deer growl. i have heard variations of grunting sounds, a sort of clicking/popping type noise, bleats and bawls...but never growls. i do think gadgetry is run amock. the ''industrial'' direction our sport is heading demands cash flow, thus useless gadgets must be invented and sold...something new each year. i am all for good equipment, though. if something really works, it will stand the test of time. i'll stick w/ the time tested stuff, and keep my money in my pockets. as for the drury bunch, their calls are basically junk, mass produced crap. their credibility went out the window with that stupid gobbler whistle, ten yrs ago. i do ,however, hope most all of ya'll buy one and growl up a storm. ought to keep the deer moving!

I'm still in the floor laughing my A..off cause you just said a complete mouth full o Truth...............
Old 07-22-2006, 03:00 PM

Smile new buck growl call

remember, you have to have deer on your land for anything to work. another $20 experiment won't kill me. gets boring out there with the same equipment, trees to look at etc... every year. maybe this will keep me from playing poker on my cell phone so much in the stand.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 PM

I don't look at or for nothing but what I'm in the woods after.
It be Deer or Turkey and I get what I hunt for.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 PM

Exclamation

I have the latest Drury DVD's and they're really pushing this a their latest call of course, but after watching the film of deer making these noises I realised I too have heard this sound in the woods ?!
I was hnuting a few years ago in Randolph County and somewhere back behind me in the thick stuff that exact sound was made, as what appears on the film !!
Had I known it was a buck I might've pulled out my doe bleat and had something happen, but instead I dismissed it as whatever and sat still and never saw him .

I do think the fact that I was hunting on an extremely well managed Trophy property, where the buck to doe ratio was kept in-check, probably had an impact on this rutting behavior. Big bucks will act different if their are fewer does to breed and more mature bucks in the game IMO.

The Drury Bros. do hunt on equally well managed properties, so I assume this is why we're hearing it on some places but maybe not in others ?!
Old 07-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Yeah I saw the growl on dseason. I think I could make that sound with my current grunt call. As a matter of fact. During the rut and with a few too many ounces of coffee in me I think I have.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Good point last gadget to come out that worked is Gore tex and for the life of me I can' remenber when it hit the market.Let them growl up a storm it will send them our way.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio
Yeah I saw the growl on dseason. I think I could make that sound with my current grunt call. As a matter of fact. During the rut and with a few too many ounces of coffee in me I think I have.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:14 PM

Default I like the Drury videos

But they come up with more "gimmicky"stuff than any other call company...The silent shock gobble call,the egg,and that little 3 material slate with the interchangeable tip striker.......

I thought i heard a deer growl once,but it was Bowbender blowing out the wrong end of a stopped up cough silencer
Old 07-22-2006, 09:23 PM

I saw that as well.I think it was in Tennessee. That was a wild scene with the buck tossin her round and then that growl. Sounded a lot like a calfs bawl when its lost its mother. I know bucks came runnin from everywhere. Gadget???? Perhaps, Hey Id give it a try.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:44 PM

I think that you have to be careful using some of these things in your local woods. Where these guys hunt, there is a lot more intensely managed deer herd with close to a 1:1 ration of bucks to does. There is intense competition for breeding. Consequently, they see much more aggressive and dominant buck behavior than most of us are likely to see. The vast majority of bucks that we are likely to see are likely to haul tail if they hear this agressive growling sound. Unless you know you are calling to the sure 'nuff bull of the woods, this call is probably better left at home.

The snort wheeze was last year's hot call. In 20 years of deer hunting, I have only seen a buck make that call on one occassion. He did it about 6 times about 15 yards from me and it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. It was really cool, but that was one time and one very ticked off whitetail buck.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM

Probably just like the "whistle" that MAD came out with to make turkeys gobble...
Old 07-22-2006, 10:07 PM

Gregg, I agree that a lot of these camera hunts are in strictly managed areas with a close buck to doe ratio. And Im very skeptical about some of these new gadgets they come out with. And as previously said it seems like its always the Drurys that come out with these unorthodox calls. The thing that gets me is, it wasnt just big bucks that came runnin in to that call, there were small bucks as well. Whether on managed property or not I cant imagine a smaller buck is gonna come runnin in the way those did when the MAN is standin there!!!! Ive just never seen anything like it.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow3
Probably just like the "whistle" that MAD came out with to make turkeys gobble...
Brandon, Believe it or not, the 1st yr they came out with those a buddy and I were huntin Lake Russell WMA. We tried every locator we had to no avail. I remembered I had that dog whistle and gave a try and 4 or five turkeys started gobblin like crazy!! Btw..We got one of those birds that morning. After that one magic day I think 1 turkey gobbled the rest of season at that thing and I finaaly quit usin it. The planets must have been in line that day???
Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 PM

I saw that, Greg. My buddy in Wisconsin reports the same type of thing when he uses a grunt call during the rut. One difference, I think, is that they have a much more obvious, shorter, and textbook version of the rut than what we tend to experience here. That, combined with the tighter buck:doe ratio makes it more competitive. Subordinate bucks where I usually hunt don't need to risk getting there tail kicked to have a chance at breeding. They simply move on to the next doe down the way.

All that being said, if the big boy is walking away from you, then try it. What the heck you have nothing to lose, but I definately wouldn't call blind with it.

That's my opinion. I am certainly not an expert.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Here's a way to save the price of the call plus another $5 - $10 and still get plenty of growling....

...............how about skipping the call and breakfast?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:49 PM

I know that Drury has released thiers and I saw a message on the Primos forum that thiers will be out on the maket as well. Drury's has some impressive footage on this.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:22 PM

I caught a little of the show, it should be shown again since they usually repeat them, Anyone know when????
Old 07-23-2006, 05:35 AM

Was watching a "B" class shark movie on tv the other day and when as the shark approached the boat to eat all the wanna be actors, it opened its mouth and growled. I about died laughing. I think I'm laughing about this deer growling thing too till it bites me in the butt.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:32 AM

I have seen some pretty strange things in my admittedly limited time hunting.

had a deer walk up like a well trained puppy when i was whistling to get my brothers attention.

Had a young buck respond aggressively to a doe bleat from the primos can of deer.

Even saw a deer respond inquisitively to someone passing gas.

Never heard one growl, but then again I have not seen that many bucks so what do i know>?

We could come up with a call based on the design of a whoopie cushion and market it with carefully edited video and see who falls for it??

Jayrun
Old 07-23-2006, 08:12 AM

Default Deer Growling ????

Might be a clever marketing tool to "lure hunters" to buy
their calls...

Guess I will hold out for a little while before I purchase
one....My fanny pack already contains way more "gadgets"
than necessary now...

You guys keep us skeptics updated with your "field tests"
Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 AM

Okay, let's think about this for just a minute........

The "big dogs" of hunting (Real Tree/Buckmasters/Mossy Oak/the Drurys) have been in the woods for several years now (Real Tree is up to Monster Bucks 14 or something?). Why is it JUST NOW that someone has identified this "buck growl", and just when the "discoverers" have developed a call for it?

As far as the bucks running in from everywhere coming to the call, has anyone ever heard of video editing?

Those of you who believe you have heard the call in the woods, did other deer come running to the call?

I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods, I've read a number of books and magazines about hunting, and I've seen more than a few shows and videos, and I've come to one conclusion about deer hunting...............

ANY tactic will work sometime, somewhere, under some conditions, for some deer.

The Snakeman
Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 AM

That was kinda my point too snakeman altho i was a little more tongue in cheek and subtle.

However I am still willing to stand by my whoopee cushion deer call that sounds like a - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -.

Wil cut woody ites a break on the price $10.00 for the fartcall 30 second warrenty???

Jayrun
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Deer "Calls" ....

My experience (or lack of consistent success... ) leads me to believe that I have probably scared off many more deer with calls and rattlin' than I have attracted. I think the most important things are scent control and just being in the right place at the right time. I've tried my share of gadgets over the years and I've concluded I'm better off the just leave that junk at the camp. So much of any success with these things depends on the right time, the right deer ratios/population, and using them the right way ... I think I'm better off just trying to find the right spot and then be still and quiet when I'm there ...

HC
Old 07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

snake, you are correct. jay, i think you should market the ''butt growl". i do think all ya'll that have heard this noise need to hunt a little farther away from your buddys' stand...so you won't hear him poot!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeman
........and more are hooked and reeled in by the latest hunting gadget.

The Snakeman

Yeah, like that lying Hank Parker and C'mere Dear.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 PM

I have never heard a buck Growl . I hunt in IL ,I hunt in Ga ---nearly 90 days during deer season . Nearly every day and I see the same bucks over and over . I hear 'em grunt all the time , wheeze . I never heard a growlin 24 yrs of trompin thru the woods daylight and dark . ---Another Gimmick- to seperate the fool and his $
Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Banned

mmmm....baloney sammich! it was mighty tasty! ought to produce some growls in the morning. i'll let ya'll know what i call up.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM

Well I'll say this to all of those that have been hunting since Moses was a private...Every season is new, and the gadgets all have some basis of truth. I haven't seen the "growl" video. So I may be off base. But in November of last year in Randolph County I was stalking through a 5 y/o platings of pine. Found a covered area and held up for a minute. Not long after I sat there, I heard a noise that I could only compare it to a calf missing it's mother..Though it was slightly deeper. It was about 3-5 seconds long and and repeated 3 times. Toward the direction of "calf" noise I saw three young bucks trotting through the trees. They were coming from different directions and all heading to the sound of the noise, I took aim and noticed nothing was bigger than a 4 point...I don't know if I would have called it a growl, but I had never heard this noise before, nor had I seen it used in a call...But, I'll tell you sitting 200 yards into these trees while it was getting dark, that noise sent a chill down my spine..But I believe it was a buck.....I'm going to listen to the call and see if it's similar. Believe me or not, but my hunting partner was on the other side of the pines in a stand, and heard the same thing...And, it sent chills down his spine as well. I know what I heard..Simple as that.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:40 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee County
Well I'll say this to all of those that have been hunting since Moses was a private...Every season is new, and the gadgets all have some basis of truth. I haven't seen the "growl" video. So I may be off base. But in November of last year in Randolph County I was stalking through a 5 y/o platings of pine. Found a covered area and held up for a minute. Not long after I sat there, I heard a noise that I could only compare it to a calf missing it's mother..Though it was slightly deeper. It was about 3-5 seconds long and and repeated 3 times. Toward the direction of "calf" noise I saw three young bucks trotting through the trees. They were coming from different directions and all heading to the sound of the noise, I took aim and noticed nothing was bigger than a 4 point...I don't know if I would have called it a growl, but I had never heard this noise before, nor had I seen it used in a call...But, I'll tell you sitting 200 yards into these trees while it was getting dark, that noise sent a chill down my spine..But I believe it was a buck.....I'm going to listen to the call and see if it's similar. Believe me or not, but my hunting partner was on the other side of the pines in a stand, and heard the same thing...And, it sent chills down his spine as well. I know what I heard..Simple as that.
Ironicly, I also reported hearing a similar sound in Randolph County, posted earlier on this very thread:o ?!

Now just to be clear, I'm well aware of the scare-tactic the ole bumkin so-called huntin guide out there at "Georgia No-Bucks and No-Beards" uses to mess with his hunters ?!

Having watched the ole - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - do it a few times. He takes a piano cord and runs it thru a metal funnell of sorts and you can hear this GROWL for about a mile ?!

.........But what I heard was entirely different and subtler and much closer to a buck grunt than the "roar"the ole timer's contraption makes ?!

I'm gonna go ahead and part with my money and will post that pick of my Booner on the braggin board ...... probably sometime around December !?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Ramble
Ironicly, I also reported hearing a similar sound in Randolph County, posted earlier on this very thread:o ?!

Now just to be clear, I'm well aware of the scare-tactic the ole bumkin so-called huntin guide out there at "Georgia No-Bucks and No-Beards" uses to mess with his hunters ?!

Having watched the ole - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - do it a few times. He takes a piano cord and runs it thru a metal funnell of sorts and you can hear this GROWL for about a mile ?!

.........But what I heard was entirely different and subtler and much closer to a buck grunt than the "roar"the ole timer's contraption makes ?!

I'm gonna go ahead and part with my money and will post that pick of my Booner on the braggin board ...... probably sometime around December !?
Bound, I did read your post on Randolph County. That is what solidfied me to respond. I never spoke of the noise I heard since we left. Just kinda forgot about it..But it's a fresh memory now...I think I'll try that call...never know, do you. Could be anothe P&Y for Randolph County.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:19 PM

The best/most deer behavior/actions I saw was behind my house last season in Cobb. It was awesome, I saw more running, grunting, chasing, scraping, responding to calls, etc. I had a 6pt chasing does and he was making a gutarul rurrrrrrrrrr type sound, deeper and rougher than a grunt, more like huffing from running and being tired, I too saw the show and the deer were always doing that when running maybe its a " I'm tired of chasing you" sound they make

There are probally tons of things deer do we'll never catch on video or see in the woods.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:43 PM

I too thought the buck growl was a bunch of - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - until I inherited a bunch of longbow magazines from the 70's and there was an article in one of them about a hunter taking a buck that had been growling.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:58 PM

Ok...I just went to Cabellas and they had a link to the video. That grunt dosen't sound much different than my current one. Also, it dosen't sound anything like what I heard in the woods that day. I'm not sure how they classify this call as a growl...Maybe the sound is distorted thru the internet, but it sounds more like a standard grunt.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeman
Okay, let's think about this for just a minute........

The "big dogs" of hunting (Real Tree/Buckmasters/Mossy Oak/the Drurys) have been in the woods for several years now (Real Tree is up to Monster Bucks 14 or something?). Why is it JUST NOW that someone has identified this "buck growl", and just when the "discoverers" have developed a call for it?

As far as the bucks running in from everywhere coming to the call, has anyone ever heard of video editing?

Those of you who believe you have heard the call in the woods, did other deer come running to the call?

I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods, I've read a number of books and magazines about hunting, and I've seen more than a few shows and videos, and I've come to one conclusion about deer hunting...............

ANY tactic will work sometime, somewhere, under some conditions, for some deer.

The Snakeman
I was thinking something along those lines. I don't doubt that the growl exists. And they may have not even edited the video they showed. But I'd place a bet that they recorded 200 videos before they got the 1 video showing all the bucks coming in like that.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 PM

I didn't see the show, but I read an article in last month's North American Whitetail on the subject.

I'm with the skeptics - ya'll let me know how it works out!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM

I too saw the show. If you were listening to the times that it was heard they said that the rut was in full swing. This sound was not made during any other time. I have Knight and Hale E-Z Grutter that has a very deep low pitch sound. I have used this call since it came out on the market. The color i have is in the old brown realtree camo. That tells you how old it is. I have heard bucks grunting while chasing does and have plenty of videos where they were chasing and grunting. The call I have sounds nothing like a buck grunting while he is chasing a doe, but it has called in more bucks than any other call I have ever used. A mature buck will have a deeper grunt than younger bucks. The clicking sound that has been imitated by Knight and Hale in the last couple of years is made by mature bucks. Its just like people. The older you get the deeper your voice gets. I have used my grunt call and made some sounds that sounds like the growl sound that was filmed by Drury and the guy from Tenn. I had alot of response by the deer I was gruntting too. The only deer my son has every shot came to the edge of a field when I made this growl sound. He started scraping and rubbing trees while coming towards our location on the edge of the field we were hunting. He checked a doe in the field and ran off a smaller buck as well. This was eight years ago this season comming up. The buck in my avatar came to this same growl call as well. An old hunter that passed away this past spring told me that there is a 24 hour period when a doe is in estrus and a buck will not leave her side once she starts to come in. This was told to me 20 years ago. So if you take into consideration frustration, time period, and the amount of deer you have on your property, it is possible that a buck would make this sound while with a doe. Other bucks hear the sound and come to check and see if they can take this doe away from the buck who is frustated and tired and ready to do some loving. Men get this way when they drink and are at a bar. Its called testosterone. That is why so many fights occur at a bar. Think of this call as deer at a bar looking for a woman that is ready for action and look back at the times you were dating and see what you think. This call may have been used at night when no one was hunting in your area. If you only hunt three hours at first light and then three hours in the middle of the day and then three hours in the afternoon, then you have three to six hours of daylight when you are not in the stand plus the time it is dark and you can not see. I too have heard this sound but I used it as a secret call in the past. Its more of a very agressive grut sound that is deeper and longer than a grunt. I will not use it unless I know that the rut is in full swing. I have used it for several years. Look back at the times you have seen a buck chasing a doe. You grunt softly and then get longer and more agressive because of the adrinalin that is pumping because you are trying to stop that buck so you can get off a shot. If he don't stop you are basiclly making the growling sound but not realizing it. I am not promoting this call or any other call. I just use what I know works for me. This call was made during a territorial mode that the bucks were in because of testoterone. If you purchase this call and use it improperly you will scare more deer than you will see. So therfore it will become a gimic. I too purchased the turkey whisle and have since thrown it into the flint river. But I have also slammed a truck door and made a turkey gobble too but there is no locator calls that have been invented to imitate this call. Turkey and deer are two different animals and use different statagies to hunt them. Stick with what you know works. If you purchase a call and use it properly it may work and it may not work. Videos are great preperation tools that I use to prepare myself for the season comming up. You will and can learn technics from videos but not all work in your area. Calls can and will be used the same way. Some work and some don't. I am sticking to what I know works. Look at the bow hunting industry. 20 years ago I shot a Browning Deluxe Nomad that would thow a 2117 arrow with a 125 grain broadhead at maybe 200 feet per second. But every year these bow industies come out with something newer and faster and better. Have the deer changed because we shoot faster bows? No, they are the same ones that were there 20 years ago. But they too pass on knowledge that they observe and use everyday to survive in the wild. I could still take that same bow I used 20 years ago and kill a deer today. But I don't. Does anyone here still use the woodland camo? Some do but some have to have the latest and best thing on the market. What did you use before Realtree and Mossy Oak came out? Would you use the same thing today? Those that say yes are the ones that stick with what they know works for them. Some say these people have changed hunting and make money off of consumers everyday, so do Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and any other auto company. Every year they come out with something better. Do you go out and buy a new car or truck every year? Some do and some don't. I don't see many people on here that have a 20 or 30 year old computers. If so by the time they could respond to these threads they are old and something new is the topic of discussion. Use what you know works and if you want something new go get it and try it. Everyone of us do but just don't realize it. Good luck. Tim
Old 07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

great post ,tim.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
great post ,tim.

I agree.

I too have the Knight & Hale E Z Grunter and now realize in hindsight what he means about the varying sounds under different circumstances. Sometimes you don't realize things at the time until someone else points it out to you later on. Again good post!!

Sanity is a tough thing to lose. It takes a lot of hard work.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Buck Grunter call may already be one upped

Wow, 54 responses! I am reminded of a quote from the Shakespear play McBeth..."thou think thou protest too much my dear..." I will have my field test report on line by mid November.

I just opened my August Georgia Sportsman magazine and what do I see on page 14?? New Products...............
New e-deer call from Primos. ".... the e-deer call should be set up where you need the deer to go and can be operated from 60 yards away. Using digital sound, the speaker can produce a natural-sounding call without drawing attention to the hunter's position." www.primos.com I'll put mine in the bed of my truck, since that's where I "need the deer to go." You can't miss the ad, it's near the Cialis, Viagra and Maxoderm ads.
But seriously, on page 24 there is a story and pictures of 2 good bucks taken in Crisp County Georgia a 125+ and a 136+