GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Deer Growling??? On deer and deer hunting tv show.

I was watching this last night and they showed footage of mature bucks "GROWLING". It was the weirdest thing I've heard. They say that the bucks growl when they are frustrated, angry, or in presence of estrous does. It really did sound like a growling bear or something. The odd thing about it, is that within minutes many bucks came running in to investigate. They had several different pieces of footage on different days and different parts of the U.S. Anyways, M.A.D calls supposedly developed a call that makes the same sounds as the growl coming from the bucks. Did anyone else happen to catch this program?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I saw it. It was interesting. I wonder why people haven't noticed that before though.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 PM

I saw it too and man the bucks were coming in from all directions. Might be something to it.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:49 PM

They had some at outdoor traditions in dawsonville.I'm pretty sure they already sold out.Maybe will get some more in because I'll have to get me one.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:11 PM

........and more are hooked and reeled in by the latest hunting gadget.

The Snakeman
Old 07-22-2006, 01:14 PM

I got that recorded and can't wait to show my hunting partner. We both heard that noise in the woods one morning before daylight. Thought it might have been a bear or hog.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Buck growl call

Let us know when and where you find one. As my name implies, I try to stay on the cutting edge.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:37 PM

Just wish I had some of that "snake oil" to sell you guys.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Deer Growl

If you go to Obseionarchery they sell it on there and there is also a pretty nice little video clip about the actual sound. Looks like another new toy for the backpack
Old 07-22-2006, 02:38 PM

I've heard bucks make the growl and other people have too. Everyone thought we were crazy.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

i have been in the woods way more than i ever should have, and have never heard a deer growl. i have heard variations of grunting sounds, a sort of clicking/popping type noise, bleats and bawls...but never growls. i do think gadgetry is run amock. the ''industrial'' direction our sport is heading demands cash flow, thus useless gadgets must be invented and sold...something new each year. i am all for good equipment, though. if something really works, it will stand the test of time. i'll stick w/ the time tested stuff, and keep my money in my pockets. as for the drury bunch, their calls are basically junk, mass produced crap. their credibility went out the window with that stupid gobbler whistle, ten yrs ago. i do ,however, hope most all of ya'll buy one and growl up a storm. ought to keep the deer moving!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearbritches
i have been in the woods way more than i ever should have, and have never heard a deer growl. i have heard variations of grunting sounds, a sort of clicking/popping type noise, bleats and bawls...but never growls. i do think gadgetry is run amock. the ''industrial'' direction our sport is heading demands cash flow, thus useless gadgets must be invented and sold...something new each year. i am all for good equipment, though. if something really works, it will stand the test of time. i'll stick w/ the time tested stuff, and keep my money in my pockets. as for the drury bunch, their calls are basically junk, mass produced crap. their credibility went out the window with that stupid gobbler whistle, ten yrs ago. i do ,however, hope most all of ya'll buy one and growl up a storm. ought to keep the deer moving!

I'm still in the floor laughing my A..off cause you just said a complete mouth full o Truth...............
Old 07-22-2006, 03:00 PM

Smile new buck growl call

remember, you have to have deer on your land for anything to work. another $20 experiment won't kill me. gets boring out there with the same equipment, trees to look at etc... every year. maybe this will keep me from playing poker on my cell phone so much in the stand.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 PM

I don't look at or for nothing but what I'm in the woods after.
It be Deer or Turkey and I get what I hunt for.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 PM

Exclamation

I have the latest Drury DVD's and they're really pushing this a their latest call of course, but after watching the film of deer making these noises I realised I too have heard this sound in the woods ?!
I was hnuting a few years ago in Randolph County and somewhere back behind me in the thick stuff that exact sound was made, as what appears on the film !!
Had I known it was a buck I might've pulled out my doe bleat and had something happen, but instead I dismissed it as whatever and sat still and never saw him .

I do think the fact that I was hunting on an extremely well managed Trophy property, where the buck to doe ratio was kept in-check, probably had an impact on this rutting behavior. Big bucks will act different if their are fewer does to breed and more mature bucks in the game IMO.

The Drury Bros. do hunt on equally well managed properties, so I assume this is why we're hearing it on some places but maybe not in others ?!
Old 07-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Yeah I saw the growl on dseason. I think I could make that sound with my current grunt call. As a matter of fact. During the rut and with a few too many ounces of coffee in me I think I have.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearbritches
Good point last gadget to come out that worked is Gore tex and for the life of me I can' remenber when it hit the market.Let them growl up a storm it will send them our way.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio
Yeah I saw the growl on dseason. I think I could make that sound with my current grunt call. As a matter of fact. During the rut and with a few too many ounces of coffee in me I think I have.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:14 PM

Default I like the Drury videos

But they come up with more "gimmicky"stuff than any other call company...The silent shock gobble call,the egg,and that little 3 material slate with the interchangeable tip striker.......

I thought i heard a deer growl once,but it was Bowbender blowing out the wrong end of a stopped up cough silencer
Old 07-22-2006, 09:23 PM

I saw that as well.I think it was in Tennessee. That was a wild scene with the buck tossin her round and then that growl. Sounded a lot like a calfs bawl when its lost its mother. I know bucks came runnin from everywhere. Gadget???? Perhaps, Hey Id give it a try.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:44 PM

I think that you have to be careful using some of these things in your local woods. Where these guys hunt, there is a lot more intensely managed deer herd with close to a 1:1 ration of bucks to does. There is intense competition for breeding. Consequently, they see much more aggressive and dominant buck behavior than most of us are likely to see. The vast majority of bucks that we are likely to see are likely to haul tail if they hear this agressive growling sound. Unless you know you are calling to the sure 'nuff bull of the woods, this call is probably better left at home.

The snort wheeze was last year's hot call. In 20 years of deer hunting, I have only seen a buck make that call on one occassion. He did it about 6 times about 15 yards from me and it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. It was really cool, but that was one time and one very ticked off whitetail buck.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM

Probably just like the "whistle" that MAD came out with to make turkeys gobble...
Old 07-22-2006, 10:07 PM

Gregg, I agree that a lot of these camera hunts are in strictly managed areas with a close buck to doe ratio. And Im very skeptical about some of these new gadgets they come out with. And as previously said it seems like its always the Drurys that come out with these unorthodox calls. The thing that gets me is, it wasnt just big bucks that came runnin in to that call, there were small bucks as well. Whether on managed property or not I cant imagine a smaller buck is gonna come runnin in the way those did when the MAN is standin there!!!! Ive just never seen anything like it.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow3
Probably just like the "whistle" that MAD came out with to make turkeys gobble...
Brandon, Believe it or not, the 1st yr they came out with those a buddy and I were huntin Lake Russell WMA. We tried every locator we had to no avail. I remembered I had that dog whistle and gave a try and 4 or five turkeys started gobblin like crazy!! Btw..We got one of those birds that morning. After that one magic day I think 1 turkey gobbled the rest of season at that thing and I finaaly quit usin it. The planets must have been in line that day???
Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 PM

I saw that, Greg. My buddy in Wisconsin reports the same type of thing when he uses a grunt call during the rut. One difference, I think, is that they have a much more obvious, shorter, and textbook version of the rut than what we tend to experience here. That, combined with the tighter buck:doe ratio makes it more competitive. Subordinate bucks where I usually hunt don't need to risk getting there tail kicked to have a chance at breeding. They simply move on to the next doe down the way.

All that being said, if the big boy is walking away from you, then try it. What the heck you have nothing to lose, but I definately wouldn't call blind with it.

That's my opinion. I am certainly not an expert.