GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Leases and Land Management and Gardening > Food Plots/Supplemental Feeding and Gardening

Old 09-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Default IC peas vs Austrian winter peas

Well it is true, you snooz and you lose. Tucker Seed CO is out of IC peas. I have to plant AW peas instead of IC peas. I need input on one vs the other and will it be that much of a difference for the deer. Please and thank you.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM

I plant both Australlian and iron And clay peas i put 100 pounds of seed on a Half acre and they where em out
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanx, I guess I wil plant them the same way as the ICs ?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM

The deer I hunt don't care to much for AWP's and will wear out ICP's. By the end of winter the AWP's are several feet tall and falling over with peas on them.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM

I plant both. Yes I plant them the same way, drill them with oats about an inch down or broadcast and drag. My deer prefer i/c which they hammer then they switch to the winter peas. The winter peas withstand cold better than i/c.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM

Austrian winter peas are a cool season pea; they will last through winter, unlike ICP's. I have never had deer eat them well, despite planting them on many properties for years. The ones with white flowers are more palatable to deer than the purple flowered varieties, but there is no way to tell which kind you have until they bloom (unless you buy Nutrigreen peas). You will never find them to draw deer like iron-clay's do; if it were me, I'd just skip 'em, but try them if you want, they fix N like any legume, so it won't hurt to plant them, in the worst case the deer just ignore them.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM

Default Re: IC peas vs Austrian Winter peas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Austrian winter peas are a cool season pea; they will last through winter, unlike ICP's. I have never had deer eat them well, despite planting them on many properties for years. The ones with white flowers are more palatable to deer than the purple flowered varieties, but there is no way to tell which kind you have until they bloom (unless you buy Nutrigreen peas). You will never find them to draw deer like iron-clay's do; if it were me, I'd just skip 'em, but try them if you want, they fix N like any legume, so it won't hurt to plant them, in the worst case the deer just ignore them.
Yep....Austrian Winter peas will last through the winter because the deer won't eat them....lol. They'll tear up the IC peas until the first freeze kills them off. We plant the IC peas as an early season draw and hope we don't get an early winter freeze.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

Plant the Iron clay and also you will do alot better with adding nutrigreen winter peas to your plot. They are sweeter and can witstand freezing temps better than austrian can.Also look at planting Frigid Triticale in your mix also if posdible. Athens seed carries the nutrigreen peas in stock.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that has wasted $ on AWP's. I planted them several times and different plots will little usage.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Gonn take mine back lol