GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 PM

Default Muck Boot vs. LaCrosse rubber boot?

I have always like the Muck Boots. I am looking to get a rubber boot that is comfortable, quiet, and will keep my feet warm and dry. Most important however is the smell. I am leaning towards the Muck boot but my concern is the neoprene on the upper half. Do you guys know if that starts to smell after time? I currently wear my snake boots and they have rubber soles but I want a complete rubber boot to help eliminate my footprint. What do you guys recommend? If I go all rubber I like the LaCrosse boot but I just really like how the Muck Boots feel.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Huntin' Fool

I have both and wear my Lacrosse boots 95% of the time.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 PM

LaCrosse rubber!!!!! The neoprene TEARS if you walk through any kind of briars. Rubber will last MUCH longer.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM

I would say you cant lose with either. You will find some people who have ripped/broken both. I have had Mucks for 3 or 4 years now and I am not easy on them. No complaints of rips or tears here. Comparing them is splitting hairs.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM

I guess my biggest concern would be....does the neoprene on the muck boot start to smell over time? lets say you go walking through a creek and they get wet and stay a little damp for a day or two. Would that begin to create a smell?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Good thought gator808! I just bought a pair of Muck boots and wore them for the first time this past weekend and they felt great. I really hope they keep my feet as warm as every one says!! I will follow this thread to see what comes of this question.They feel great on my feet walking!! My pants legs went over my boots though so I wonder how the neoprene will last with them being covered with my pants.Good luck and great hunting!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 PM

My last insulated lacrosse burlys lasted at least 8 yrs. $80.00 at bps. Very well pleased with them.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Not to throw a wrench in your plans but consider the under armour haw boot I love mine, most comfortable knee boot I have rubber bottoms neoprene top, walked thru a lot of briars no tears, but I also have to be the one person in the world who an 11 is to small and 11.5 is way to big in lacrosse, mucks fit great but make my feet sweat like crazy in them the haws don't, hope that helps
Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM

I have the muck snake boot going on 3rd year bottom is coming unglued from leaving in the back of my truck for one afternoon pretty crappy for the $$. My last pair was lacross that lasted for a few more seasons than that they they finnaly wore a hole in the heel from taking them on and off so much.

The mucks are real comfortable though.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Default muck

I have had both. The mucks got wet several times and stink. They never seem to dry out. As far as longevity the mucks only lasted me about 3 months before they were torn so bad they were no longer waterproof. The lacrosse sole seperated but after about 2 years of hard use. I would go with the lacrosse burly. My muck boots seemed to stretch after limited use and got a little sloppy on the foot part. Maybe I got a lemon pair but I won't be buying another.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Lacrosse alpha burly sports hands down. on sale till end of month at BPS.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM

The last thing I want is to buy a rubber boot that starts to smell after they get wet. It sounds like the Lacrosse seems to be the way to go for longevity and scent free. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM

I've had same pair muck boots for 3 years I wear them only in the woods. when its cold and to be honest I really don't need them I just wanted a rubber boot for no scent trail. Id like to find a option for a rubber boot that won't make me swet to death
Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 PM

I have both and if i had a choice of only one it would be the muck.... no smell on the neoprene and very durable!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM

Love my muck boots!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Muck's are extemely warm. If you walk any distance, they will make you sweat. They do get cut by sticks and briars, but I have never been able to smell mine. Burly's are more comfortable for walking long distance. Both are nice, but the main suggestion I would make is to try them on in the store and walk around the store to make sure they fit you well before you walk out with them.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM

I tripped across a barbed wire fence the other night in my Muck boots. The fence went through the neoprene and gave me a little scratch. However, I submerged them tonight and did not get any moisture on the inside. They are extremely comfortable and very warm. The pair that I have comes with a comfort rating between -20 and 70 degrees. I think I would agree with that. Have no idea about the smell.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM

I own a pair of Muck boots as well and love them. As far as them smelling, it says that if they get really wet inside to take out the insoles and dry them with a boot dryer. As far as the neoprene uppers, when they get muddy to just clean them with a soapy water and they are like new. They feel a lot better than my $39 redhead rubber boots.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 PM

I have the lacrosse alpha lite 3.5's. Kinda the best of both worlds IMO. Neoprene uppers and sort of a shin guard on the front so the briers don't tear them. The 3.5 is the lowest amount of insulation but there plenty warm for me.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 AM
InFoRmAnT

I've had a pair of the Muck Woody Max for over ten years and they are holdind up great. They are only worn when it's extremely cold as they are no more than a set of short waders...Never had issues with neoprene stank either.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 AM

i have the muck boot woody max they r warm and ive got them wet several times and they dont stink there easy to take on and off too. if you get any boot wet you have to set them up to dry out. i would say the muck is alot more comfortable and warmer. the tread is better too its aggressive and it dont track mud as bad. ill stick to muck boots for the rest of my hunting years.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Going on year # 11 with my Mucks Woody Max. Still waterproof. Don't stink. But of course I take care of my stuff, that's why it last. Any boot will stick if it gets wet and doesn't dry out. A boot dryer is a good friend!!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM

15 years on my Lacrosse Burlys. I wear them anytime weather permits. Even in winter on evening hunts. Cant go wrong.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Default I have had both...

and think highly of both. My Burleys wore out after 3 seasons and then tried Muck given the high reviews. So far so good with the Mucks. I do think they fit me better than the Burleys. I sure don't smell them and they have been in some rainy days. I hope they last me for several more years and expect they will.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserbuckgrower View Post
Not to throw a wrench in your plans but consider the under armour haw boot I love mine, most comfortable knee boot I have rubber bottoms neoprene top, walked thru a lot of briars no tears, but I also have to be the one person in the world who an 11 is to small and 11.5 is way to big in lacrosse, mucks fit great but make my feet sweat like crazy in them the haws don't, hope that helps
X2! I bought me a pair this season and love mine!