GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Leases and Land Management and Gardening > Food Plots/Supplemental Feeding and Gardening

Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Chestnuts

Has anyone planted any of the Dunstan Chestnut trees trying to upgrade the mast crop in your area. I planted 3 last year, and plan on planting at least 2 more this year. They are expensive little trees, but they should help draw in the deer and squirrels in a few years.

Pappy
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 AM

I planted ten last winter, one died. Ordered them online before i found out some walmarts were selling them. Had to water them frequently thru the summer. Might get a few more if any WM's near me have them now.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator

I planted several about ten-twelve years ago in a landscape situation, they are producing loads of chestnuts now.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM

I was reading online that some Walmarts have them. I am going to check the one my son works at in a few minutes. I would love to have 5 or 6 producing chestnuts on my property. I bet the squirrels would think they had found heaven.

When they are about 12 to 14 ft tall, they would make great puppy training stations.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:26 PM

the only thing Wally world has right now is pansies. I wonder when they will get them in stock?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM

The Realtree website says they'll ship in Feb. It also gives a list of all the Walmarts they will ship to. You've got me wanting to add some to my collection.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:06 PM

My grandpappy use to tell me about all the chestnut trees in the mountains. He said there were so many that the woods would be covered with nuts in the fall. I read somewhere that at the turn of the 20th century, it was estimated that 60 percent of all trees in North America were chestnut trees. Blight killed them all out. My daddy said he remembered eating chestnuts as a kid, and he remembered the dead trees all over the mountains. I wish we could get back just a small percentage of those trees.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM

Maybe this?

http://www.tytyga.com/Chestnut-Trees...FcaiPAodnG0AHg
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM

I've done quite a bit of reading on this subject. I don't want the Chinese chestnuts. While they produce nuts, they are not near the tree the American chestnut was, and the nuts and foliage is different. The collosal is a western chestnut that, when planted in the east, tends not to fair to well with the blight. The American chestnut crosses they are producing only live for about 15 to 20 years if you are lucky before the blight kills them. Most reports are that 80 percent or so die with 4 years, sometimes as high as 70 percent the first year depending on how strong the blight is in that area.

Seems like only the Dunstan has any staying power in the American variety right now. So that is what I am looking for. Hopefully in a few years, they will develop an 98 percent American that will be resistant to the blight and we can start putting the chestnuts back in the natural habitat. Perhaps my children and grandchildren can have the pleasure of hunting in a chestnut grove and having roasted chestnut stuffing with their Thanksgiving turkey.

I wish I had more land to put them on, but right now that is not an option. If I had a bigger place, I would be setting out at least a couple of acres of chestnut trees to try and get them going in my area.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM

I googled and found them for $24.95, same price as quoted for WM.

http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/...-Chestnut.aspx

Down in Lee, Fl. I found some chinquapins really cheap. They should be good for wildlife.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Yeah, I found them online and bought some last year, but I think I will wait for WallyWorld to get them in. That way I won't have to pay shipping and I can pick out the ones I like the looks of at the store.

I have never eaten chestnuts. Does anyone here remember them in the mountains and remember eating them?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 AM

I know VT does some great work with Chestnuts. The Chestnut was, is, an incredible tree and it was a tragic loss on all fronts for this part of the country. It was the "super tree"...light, strong, insect resistant, massive, provided cover and food.

Wish I could have seen those magnificent forests of the 1800s.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM

I have a copy of a picture somewhere here that show a railcar loaded with a chestnut log. There are 2 guys sitting on top of the log. It must be 15 ft high, and the trucks are the only steel parts. The length of the car is the log, chained to the trucks on each end.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM

there is supposed to be a stand of American chestnuts around Pine Mountain. One of the trips I want to make is to take my grandad down there. He still talks about the chestnuts in the mountains and hauling "acid wood."
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
I have a copy of a picture somewhere here that show a railcar loaded with a chestnut log. There are 2 guys sitting on top of the log. It must be 15 ft high, and the trucks are the only steel parts. The length of the car is the log, chained to the trucks on each end.
I can tell you where one is that produces a few chestnuts most years, it isn't very tall, cause it's on the very top of a mtn. If you go to brasstown bald, take the trail toward trackrock gap, just before you get to chimney rock, ther is one above the trail, go in late october and you will sometimes see some chestnuts in the trail, tree is hard to find otherwise, I found a stand in clay co. nc, only thing is when they get about 10-12" in diameter, they die, the root systems are still there in some cases, they just can't get started back.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
There is a log on display in my hometown of Hayesville nc, it was left by Ritter lumber co.it is off Ritter rd. in town, by desoto square apartments.right on the side of the rd.amzing, it's still not rotted.it's not 15ft through though.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM

I am just guessing about the 15ft from the height of the guys. They are squatting, so it makes it harder. It could be 12 ft, it could be 16 or 17... All I know for sure it is one big tree. My grandpappy told be they would log chestnut trees that 4 grown men, joined hand to hand could not reach around. This would have been right after he married my granny, some time in the early 20's, up in Lumpkin and White county.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I am just guessing about the 15ft from the height of the guys. They are squatting, so it makes it harder. It could be 12 ft, it could be 16 or 17... All I know for sure it is one big tree. My grandpappy told be they would log chestnut trees that 4 grown men, joined hand to hand could not reach around. This would have been right after he married my granny, some time in the early 20's, up in Lumpkin and White county.
My grandpa use to tell me about when chestnets started blooming, the mtns would almost look like they were snow covered, he also said, they free ranged their hogs and cattle in the mtns in the fall to fatten up on chestnuts.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Im getting some chestnuts after reading this thread seams like the only tree to me to plant
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM

This has got me interested, I will be keeping an eye out for them at Walmart.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklem View Post
I can tell you where one is that produces a few chestnuts most years, it isn't very tall, cause it's on the very top of a mtn. If you go to brasstown bald, take the trail toward trackrock gap, just before you get to chimney rock, ther is one above the trail, go in late october and you will sometimes see some chestnuts in the trail, tree is hard to find otherwise, I found a stand in clay co. nc, only thing is when they get about 10-12" in diameter, they die, the root systems are still there in some cases, they just can't get started back.
Hi, interesting thread! BTW I'm new here...

Just want to point out that the American Chestnut Foundation is well aware of the few surviving chestnut trees on Brasstown Bald. (I helped gather pollen there two summers ago...) They might not be aware of the ones in Clay county North Carolina. If these are on restricted access private land, please consider contacting them so they can add these survivors to the restoration projects gene pool.

The final cross in the quest for blight resistant 15/16th American chestnuts needs to be from near where they will be planted back. Kind of pointless to develop a blight resistant chestnut from Maine and plant it in Georgia.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 PM

there is at least one tree in Dawsonville that produces nuts that I know of, maybe two. It produces every year, and has for at least the past 20 years according to a friend that lives real close to it. I wonder if the ACF knows about that tree?

I know there is a small amount of them around Warm Springs also. I read it in a paper about the native trees.

My grandpappy told me the blossoms would fall like snow when the chestnuts were in bloom. He said the blossoms didn't smell good though. He didn't like the smell of them at all. They use to gather up bags of chestnuts in the fall and put them in the attic of the house. The nuts would dry out and they would grind them into flour to supplement the corn meal and such. My granny said she would roast them real brown, almost burnt, and grind them to make coffee when they couldn't buy coffee during the depression.

Speaking of fatten hogs on them, my g'pappy use to drive hogs out of Lumpkin county all the way to Atlanta in the early winter to sell for slaughter. He said it would take 3 weeks to walk a herd to Atlanta and walk back home. His old farm was in the Shoal Creek area.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBat View Post
Hi, interesting thread! BTW I'm new here...

Just want to point out that the American Chestnut Foundation is well aware of the few surviving chestnut trees on Brasstown Bald. (I helped gather pollen there two summers ago...) They might not be aware of the ones in Clay county North Carolina. If these are on restricted access private land, please consider contacting them so they can add these survivors to the restoration projects gene pool.

The final cross in the quest for blight resistant 15/16th American chestnuts needs to be from near where they will be planted back. Kind of pointless to develop a blight resistant chestnut from Maine and plant it in Georgia.
trees in Clay county are on private property on the Nantahala river, just above the lake.they are actually sprouts all over these mtns. they appear to sprout up from the existing root systems, they just don't make it though.the ones I have found do not produce mast,nor have I seen them bloom.they seem to be on north sides also where the sun hardly ever penetrates.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM

According to the web site, the trees should be shipping to Walmart the week of Feb. 11th
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklem View Post
There is a log on display in my hometown of Hayesville nc, it was left by Ritter lumber co.it is off Ritter rd. in town, by desoto square apartments.right on the side of the rd.amzing, it's still not rotted.it's not 15ft through though.
How would they saw a tree of this size? Special gigantic saws?